1932 Buick rear axle

jcuffe79

We are looking for a source for a replacement rear axle for our 1932 McLaughlin-Buick Model 32-8-66C Convertible Coupe. Apparently, when it was last run over 50 years ago, it through a rod, which resulted in the rear left axle to shear right off.

If anyone can point me in the direction of a replacement, it would be very much appreciated. Also, any interchange for these with other GM products?

1 hour ago, jscheib said:

I am checking with a source to see if he has one.  But, for long term, and considerable medium to heavy use, I suggest you consider have a stronger one made.

John

I agree.  The axle on my truck broke a number of years ago and I had the broken axle and the other one made of new material.  I was not going to take any chances of a second broken axle for the amount of work to take apart and reassemble the axle.  Fix it once and fix it right.  Especially if you are going to drive it.

• Like 1

Well for our purposes, this car will likely never be driven as it has a big hole in the side of the block and would require a complete body-off restoration. For the immediate time, a new one would be a lot to invest in car that will likely never get restored. We just need to be able to put the wheel back on so we can move it around easily. So used would certainly be fine for this instance.

Just get it welded.  In 1947 my Grandfather broke an axle in his (my daily driver since 1939) 1930 Pontiac.  An old time blacksmith in rural Manitoba hammer welded the axle.  The car now has 500,000+ plus miles and the welded axle is still in it.  If you only want to move the car around a shop or yard I think welding would be the cheapest/simplest solution.  In my case it has taken the car to every state west of the Mississippi including Alaska.  Oops not Hawaii.

• 1 month later...

I have a 60 series rear axle. I believe someone was going to make a trailer out of it. The spot where the torque tube enters the rear axle has a plate welded over it. I would need to check and see if the gears and axle shafts are in it. I also have a 60 series engine block. Let me know if your interested. I would not be able to get to these parts to check them until early April.