FOR SALE 1930 HUPMOBILE PICKUP TRUCK

I BOUGHT THIS AT HERSHEY  6 OR 7 YEARS AGO. PROBABLY CONVERTED  DURING WWii AS TRUCKS COULD QUALIFY FOR MORE GAS RATION COUPONS.  WAY TOO MANY PROJECTS AHEAD OF IT AND IT'S TIME TO THIN THE HERD. MADE FROM A 1930 HUPMOBILE MODEL 'M' 4 DR. SEDAN WITH STRAIGHT 8 ENGINE. REALLY NICE DEGREE OF WORK GIVEN THE TIME AND ERA. METAL TOP INSERT. . A 1950 MAINE INSPECTIONS STICKER IS STILL ON THE WINDSHIELD. I BOUGHT IT FROM A DEALER WHO KNEW LITTLE ABOUT IT  AS  IT WAS PART OF AN ESTATE. IT IS OBVIOUS THAT SOME DEGREE OF WORK HAD BEEN DONE AT SOME TIME WITHIN THE LAST 10 OR SO YEARS AS IT HAS HAD AN EXHAUST SYSTEM INSTALLED  AND THE PASSENGER SIDE FRONT FENDER WAS IN PROCESS OF BEING REFINISHED. THERE IS EVIDENCE OF A EARLIER BRAZING  REPAIR TO THE HEAD AND ONE FREEZE PLUG IS MISSING. THE COIL IS MISSING. THE REST OF THE DRIVELINE IS INTACT.  ORIGINAL GAS CAP AND TAIL LAMP STILL IN ORIGINAL POSITION. THE MOTOR IS NOT STUCK-I CAN SPIN IT OVER BY HAND. THE STARTER WILL SPIN  WITH A JUMP BUT THE BENDIX WONT ENGAGE. THE DASH HAD BEEN DRILLED FOR A UNIVERSAL THREE POLE IGNITION SWITH BUT NO KEY CAME WITH IT. UNDERCARRIAGE IS VERY SOLID. SPEEDOMETER SHOWS 78K MILES. ORIGINAL CLOTH FABRIC STILL ON DOOR PANELS AND FAINT HINT OF GRAY STRIPING STILL EVIDENT ON DOOR EDGES. ORIGINAL HEADLAMP BUCKETS HAVE HAD SEALED BEAMS PLACED INSIDE UNDER ORIGINAL LENSES.. SEATS HAVE BEEN REUPHOLSTERED IN BROWN LEATHERETTE, CAR IS EQUIPPED WITH REALLY NEAT "NORTH EAST" HOT WATER HEATER. THE 4 WOODEN WHEELS ARE IN EXCELLENT CONDITION. ONE HUB CAP AND A SHOCK ABSORBER LINK ARE MISING. ORIGINAL CRANK STILL UNDER THE SEAT. VERY IMPRESSIVE SIZE COMPARED TO OTHER 30'S ERA HALF TON PICKUPS. SORRY FOR PHOTOS AS IT'S JAMMED IN BACK OF MY NARROW BUILDING. IF YOUR SERIOUS AND WOULD LIKE MORE PHOTOS I'LL DIG IT OUT TOWARDS THE FRONT FOR MORE PHOTOS.  LOCATED 25 MILES WEST OF WASHINGTON D.C. IN NORTHERN VA. EMAIL OR CALL ME AT 703-966-8422 $6750.00 OR NEAR OFFER OR TRADE UP WITH CASH TOWARDS A RUNNING 50'S THRU 60'S TRUCK OR STATION WAGON

IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG

IMG_0313.JPG

IMG_0314.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0316.JPG

IMG_0317.JPG

IMG_0319.JPG

IMG_0320.JPG

IMG_0321.JPG

IMG_0322.JPG

IMG_0323.JPG

IMG_0324.JPG

IMG_0325.JPG

IMG_0326.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

IMG_0328.JPG

IMG_0329.JPG

IMG_0330.JPG

IMG_0331.JPG

IMG_0332.JPG

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0335.JPG

IMG_0336.JPG

IMG_0337.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

• Like 1

Some viewers might not know that there actually is a select market for these shop trucks built in the depression era.  The bed-to-cab transition is very well done on this car.   This car may sell quicker, or at least sell, compared to the same 4dr sedan uncut model in same condition.

There are two elder guys here in eastern Ct who would buy it if local...these guys are in the $6K range on similar; the last one they kept was a 31 Buick 60 at $6k.    Neither are internet, and neither will buy out of state...sorry about that

by the way; front bumper is 1929 Desoto early to mid year production.  Later 29 had hinge pins at the ends, not wrap around like early ones like this.

I'm afraid that the tale of WWII conversion of cars into trucks to obtain more gasoline coupons has been told so many times, that it has become fact. The fact is, vehicles were never issued ration coupons. Drivers were. Truck drivers got extra gas. Your occupation was the criteria, not the vehicle. Owning a truck did not make you a truck driver. The secret reason that people converted old cars into truck was.........ready???................they wanted a truck.

BTW, that Hupp is very cool, regardless

• Like 1

Our 94 year old neighbor whose family farmed 300 acres -good sized operation on the East Coast- during WWII told us they qualified for more gas in agricultural related business matters based on production and vehicles.  They  converted an old Lincoln into a truck for that purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

This would make a great period tow truck, with a hand cranked crane installed.  Plenty of power, and it looks like it has helper springs installed too.  for more realism, a 3 x 10 oak beam should replace the bumper, for push-starting stalled cars.
Years back a beautiful period one was seen at Hershey, doing its thing with the race cars.   Coincidentally, it too was a converted Hupmobile, of an earlier year.

• 8 months later...