30 standard 8 118 inch wb for sale

Guest Doug 30 peerless

Guest Doug 30 peerless

Hi    I'm selling my 1930 standard 8,   8-10 left of this model and yr.   352 left for peerless s for the total 31 yrs.   straight 8   346 cu in.   85 hp.   restored condition   Very nice    27500 US  Doug 6043091399.  Jedta@hotmail.ca.  2.5 hrs north of Seattle wa 

IMG_2869.JPG

IMG_2877.JPG

IMG_2878.JPG

Edited by Doug 30 peerless
Red (see edit history)

Doug 30 Peerless,

Fantastic photographs of your Standard Eight Peerless . It would be fun to tell someone you have a Model "A"..........and then show up in a straight eight, Count Alexis de Sakhnoffsky-designed Peerless, which is also a Model "A"........."Product of America's Oldest Fine Car Builder", as the Peerless ads used to say.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
Guest Doug 30 peerless

Hi Jeff.    Do you know of one of my members of the VCCC in Campbell river bc.   Dave Procter. ,89.  He owns a same colour as mine burgundy /blk fender 29 peerless sport roadster.    He's 89. He's been a member for 60 yrs in the vccc. Doug

IMG_3168.JPG

Hi Doug,

Yes, I've corresponded with Dave Proctor and seen several good pictures of his car on VCCC Tours over the years.

Image result for 1929 Peerless roadsterphoto from pinterest of Dave Proctor's Peerless 6-61 Roadster

Your two cars, both in the same area, would make a good pair for someone though not exactly two of a kind. Only two 1929 Peerless Mod. 6-61 Deluxe Roadsters in the world, to my knowledge: Dave's, and a tan or light yellow one that sold at the Owl's Head auction in Maine last August. 

----Jeff

Image result for 1929 Peerless roadster

photo from big annual auction at Owl's Head Museum in Maine of Mark Garvin's Peerless 6-61 Roadster before it sold

Guest Doug 30 peerless

Jeff.  Those are nice looking roadsters.  I've just talked to Dave on the phone.  I hope I can be as alert at 89 as he is. Wow.  I'm going to a model a show in fort langley be. The ist week in June.   I'll just say to mike McKay.   Who runs it that I'm bringing a 30 model a. He has a rare 28 Pontiac    Jeff. Why does mine have wood wheels instead of steel.   By 1930 u would think wood wb gone thx Doug 

Yes, the 1929 6-61 Peerlesses have quite a presence to them. They took orders for 8,000 in one day at the New York Auto Show. The "Polo Tan" one above set a record for sold prices of a Six-61. I had no idea Dave was over 50. I hope that you do go to Ft. Langley with your Peerless Standard Eight, and they let you in on an exhibition basis. Maybe they'll give you a ribbon as an Honorary Model A, or Best Straight-8 Model A. :)Always wanted to go to Ft. Langley for their Cranberry Regatta(October) and their HBC Rendezvous at the Parks Canada historic site(over B.C. Day weekend).

The 1930s Peerless models had wood wheels standard, with an option of wire wheels at extra cost. One of the finest Peerless cars out there, and most seen at shows, is Ele Chesney's Custom Eight 7-Passenger Sedan, complete with wood wheels. You can get diecast models of her car in 3 different scales on ebay. Anson produced 10,000 in 1:18 for a now defunct bank. One ebay vendor said there was a version made with figurines of President Hoover and his entourage when this was his campaign car for the 1932 election. I've never been able to verify that. Maybe some Herbert Hoover scholars can chime in.  

Anson Die Cast Model Of A 1931 Peerless       

Here's a 1931 Peerless Master Eight belonging to Jeff Spence in Maryland...giving us all three models with wood wheels on one page:

Image result for 1931 Peerless custom 8

spaceout.gif

Bryan,

The "Standard 8" in B.C. has the correct 246.7 Cu. In. engine. I think Doug made a typo...I sent him a PM about that 6 days ago but he hasn't read it. The code for the three straight-8s is: "A": 246.7, "B": 322.0), "C": 322.0 Cu. In. A small 8, but a lot of car for $1,495. Doug was right on the 85 h.p. part. Only 7 of these "Standard 8s" around, according to KPAIE. About 2000 built. If you want to go see what one looks like, you could drive 99 miles south and see the one that Doug D. in Ridgeway, MO has. "Doug 30 peerless"(same first name, different car) bought his from a Chrysler dealer near Vancouver.

I called the Hoover Presidential Library once and the archivist I talked to, Spencer, had never heard of the Hoovers owning a Peerless, or the White House having one in the garage. The ebay seller said she had one of the diecast Peerless models, and the person who sold it to her said it came with info that it was a Hoover Campaign car, and also some figures representing Herbert Hoover and his entourage. Those weren't pictured in the ad and she said they were no longer with the car. Seller no longer an ebay vendor. Not much to go on. I've looked at the models for sale on ebay & never seen another mention of Pres. Hoover. Wrote Ele Chesney, but she didn't reply. Could have been made up, I guess, but people aren't crazy about cars Hoover rode in like they are for ones Presley/Kennedy/Gable/Monroe rode in, so why bother?

The library staffer said H.H. had a dislike of riding around in luxury cars(wasteful and inefficient), preferred trains, and that he didn't make a lot of campaign appearances for the '32 election. He did make one in Cleveland in Oct., '32, and one in Chicago. Maybe there's a grain of truth to it, like a car provided by a government official for a day or two, or a car dealer taking the President from the train station to the hotel. I looked at some pictures of the Hoovers, too, and found very little. There was one film clip of him getting in a big sedan, w/ some resemblance to a straight-8 Peerless, but it wasn't a dead ringer for Ele's car*. It was a dark color, not the light color seen above in the diecast model(her "Custom 8" was light gray before Bill Harrah had it repainted 30+ years ago). So, the H.H. thing is interesting but unverified. My guess is that H.H. passed his hand over the Peerless, or maybe even rode in it. Maybe a 5% chance he owned one, 3% chance one was in the White House garage, but the odds he had access to a car like this are better. Pierce-Arrow was the preferred WH car for years at that time.

* There are some photos around of a dark sedan, a nice big General Motors model, Herbert Hoover bought for himself just before the election, which may be it: 

STRANGE PRESIDENTIAL LIMOUSINES - CADILLAC V-16 - HERBERT HOOVER - GREAT DEPRESSION CAR

photo: strangevehicles.com