Electric fuel pump for '53 str8

Guest biodegraded

Guest biodegraded

The previous owner of my '53 special converted it to 12v with an electric fuel pump. He just left the old fuel inlet and outlet on the vacuum pump open. 

First question, is that ok? Second question, I think I may be getting an oil leak from the outlet of the vacuum fuel pump (see 2nd picture). I see liquid oil inside the open threads of the fuel outlet. Is that possible if the oil seal inside the vacuum pump around the rocker arm goes bad? 

Can I just cap off those inlet and outlet lines or will that damage the pump (in case I ever want to go back to stock)? Can I remove the whole pump and block off the port to the crankshaft with a piece of metal? 

IMG_9421.JPG

IMG_9422.JPG

Looks like the pump shaft seals have already failed. I don't think you'd be hurting anything if you used a block off plate to delete the pump. I think it's a pretty common issue for the vacuum section to suck oil past the seal, but have not seen the seal break on the fuel section personally. In any case, if you wish to rebuild, kits are widely available.