Radio Restoration

dlh61olds

Looking for a full restoration or just want it to make some noise again? Tubes are typically easy to get on ebay, if you're near me (York Co PA) I'd be happy to let you stop by and use my tube tester. If you need to replace caps and stuff it gets a little more involved to make it look right, again, it depends on the level you're looking for. I tinker and am not a restorer of any sort at this time, but there are several great books devoted to the topic that will get you going on the basics if you're interest.

I was very pleased with Precision Stereo Repair in Utica NY, you can see their contact info and my review if you look them up on www.yelp.com.  My 1957 Pontiac has what he called a "hybrid" radio that has tubes but also an early output transistor to reduce voltage consumption, I bet your Olds is also of this design generation.  This is not a replacement placed into the original case, Robert likes tubes and using my original radio he upgraded my output power and added a plug in line for an I Pod for under $300.  My I Pod can also receive FM so I can have the music selection I want while having the nostalgia and "warmth" of the original tube type radio.  Good luck with yours, Todd C   

If you do start fooling around inside, be sure to short the capacitors to ground; they can hold a charge and bite the unwary. 

BillP, Aviation Electronics Technician 2nd Class, E2 Hawkeye, USS Enterprise, Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club.

• 2 weeks later...

I took member Rusty_OToole's suggestion regarding the radio in my '41 Graham.  My father is a ham radio operator (only messes with Morse code!).  He went to the Fort Worth Cowtown Ham Radio fest this weekend.  Saw a guy selling hundreds of old tubes and asked him about someone to tinker on my Graham's radio.  The tube seller hooked me up with a guy about 15 minutes from my house here in Dallas, TX.  I spoke with the guy and he immediately said I probably need a vibrator, a few condensers and a couple other parts.  Said it was probably a Philco by description and he'd love to work on it.

I'm to bring it to him in the next week.  We didn't discuss a fee, but I'll gladly pay him something to look at it and more if he can't make it work.