Big Six aluminum head

Guest Bondadan

Guest Bondadan

New member seeking information re: aluminum head for the Commander engine. I am restoring a Dictator and believe the engine is a '37. Will an aftermarket head from other years fit on an older engine? Will an Edmund's head noticeably increase performance with a matching 2carb intake or is this engine candy? Does anyone have one for sale or know where I can look?

Thanks.

On 1/12/2017 at 10:56 AM, Bondadan said:

New member seeking information re: aluminum head for the Commander engine. I am restoring a Dictator and believe the engine is a '37. Will an aftermarket head from other years fit on an older engine? Will an Edmund's head noticeably increase performance with a matching 2carb intake or is this engine candy? Does anyone have one for sale or know where I can look?

Thanks.

Beware of the following manufacturer of aluminum heads http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Empire-Motors-Inc/El-Paso-Texas-79938/Empire-Motors-Inc-Fraud-via-internet-US-mail-Phone-El-Paso-Texas-728371

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?98568-Empire-Motors&p=1030650#post1030650

Edited by rbk (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest Bondadan

Thank you Robert. I will check the engine number. The head I seek will go on the 6 cylinder motor I bought the centrifugal overdrive transmission for from you in '15.

Getting scammed is the worst. I will be on the lookout. I am hoping that through this forum I can be directed to a trusted club member willing to let go of this apparently rare head. I am very interested in any anecdotal reports from someone who may have experience with a hiperformance head. Good or bad.

• 1 year later...
On 1/13/2017 at 12:15 PM, rbk said:

Yes   stay far away from Empire Motors of El Paso TX.  They took me for $6000. Long history of fraud.

The use of an aluminum head on this engine goes back to, at least, 1935. The last one that I saw, in usable condition, was several years ago, on a disassembled 1935 Dictator coupe, from SW Washington. To say that seeing one is a rare occurrence is not an overstatement, but seeing one in usable condition,  is almost unheard of. If the head manufacture mirrors that of the eight cylinder engine, as I believe it does, there were two different manufactures. There would then be a head for the early Dictators through 1935, and another for the 1936-37.

And, just for clarity, the "Commander Six" is not the "Big Six." Two immensely different engines.

I believe the "Big Six", with 241.6 cid, production ended sometime around 1929-30; while what is referred to as the "Commander Six" made its debut in the 1932 Rockne "65" at 189.8 cid, and lasted in to 1961 at 245 cid.

1 hour ago, starlightcoupe said:

And, just for clarity, the "Commander Six" is not the "Big Six." Two immensely different engines.

I believe the "Big Six", with 241.6 cid, production ended sometime around 1929-30; while what is referred to as the "Commander Six" made its debut in the 1932 Rockne "65" at 189.8 cid, and lasted in to 1961 at 245 cid.

The Big Six was actually 354 cid and was last used in the early 1928 GB Commander. Its basic design dated back to 1918. The 241 you are referring to was the Light Six/Standard Six/Dictator engine, and yes, I think that one was last used for 1930.