1956 single action fuel pump?

56buickinga

I'm looking into a fuel pump for my 56 322. I know it's a double action. Cars did not have one they have a rebuild service. Kater has one for $160 plus shipping that's a bit more than I want to pay right now. 

I rebuilt mine mine many years ago when the vacuum diaphragm ripped and failed to produce vacuum at night in the rain best timing of course. After the rebuild the fuel pump was sporadic and would fail to pump at random and I had no vacuum at all. So I put a little elec pump on the fender and has worked flawlessly until the other day. The replacement costs 50$ now so I'm looking to go back to an appropriate set up. 

So so if there is a good option to get a replacement I am not finding that'd be good. If there is a single action fuel pump that is easier to get I can use a 12v elec vacuum pump for the wipers. 

I may go back into it again if it warms up. I've got a core from a parts car I can send off to be rebuilt also. 

The single action pump was on heavy duty Chevy trucks only and I think they're rare. Russ Martin might have one, but it will still need a rebuild. You can still buy the rebuild kits from CARS, that's going to be your only cheap option. Alternatively, you could take a 57+ timing cover and install it on your 56 322 and retain your stock water pump. The only difference is that you can now use the made NEW 364-401-425 single action fuel pump that is only $4 to replace. You have to factor in the cost of gaskets and such, but would probably be the best for what you hope to accomplish. Probably the same price if you consider buying the $90 rebuild kit.

That's what I plan to do when I replace my timing chain eventually. I plan on doing electric wipers down the road and just get rid of the entire vacuum wiring all together (save washer jar, power brakes). Ideally would use the new TA performance timing cover with a rebuilt 57 Chev wiper motor but money is everything...

Good luck!

• Like 1

My vac wipers work great when it has appropriate pressure.  So I can take or leave the double action. Plus the elec vac pump would be a suitable conversion. The 57 timing cover conversion sounds like a good way to bypass the double action pump and my oreillys can get the 57 pump.  

Funny thing about money it does seem to dominate a lot of decisions. 

Thanks for the advice 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Beemon said:

The single action pump was on heavy duty Chevy trucks only and I think they're rare.

I wouldn't be so sure.  

Our Special came with a single action pump.  While one might think that it was changed out by a cheapskate sometime between 1956 and 1995, my grandfather bought a model 41 Special new in '56 and said that the problem with vacuum wipers is that they quit when you needed them most - while trying to pass in the rain.  When sharing that story with other '56 owners, we often get, "Mine never do that." I assume that's because they have the dual action pump.

I've never researched the reason some have dual and some not, but I always assumed it was a Special vs. upper trim thing.  One might think the change was made mid-year, but our Black 46R is one of the first 1000 built in Kansas City.  Grandpa's 41 was bittersweet - a spring color - so obviously it was later production.  My *guess* is that the Specials out there with dual-action pumps were upgraded later in life.

As far as fuel goes, we often have trouble with vapor lock on hot summer days.  Fuel quality isn't what it used to be, even though we run 100% ethanol-free.  We are looking to install an electric pump for those hot summer days, and since we already converted to electric wipers, we could easily do without the mechanical pump the next time it fails.

I was under the impression that the double pumps were standard. I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of it, it pumps fuel on demand rather than a constant flow like an electric pump. Maybe have the electric pump in line to correct vapor lock or prime the float bowls? 

I can confirm that wipers stop on heavy acceleration even with the pump. I also have to reseal my wiper motor with grease every now and then with how much I use it in the Pacific NW. I've also had terrible luck with the vacuum pump sucking oil into the intake manifold, too. Not to mention the toll it puts on the vacuum system, which influences your engine's  AFR. I think people don't complain because they don't use it constantly. It's a very inefficient system, and probably only used because of generator constraints and additional electric accessories. 

55-57 interchanges with 54-56 and maybe later Buick Roadmaster and Super. If you can find a Roadmaster or Super wiper motor cam and base, you can swap it in to a Century or Special with little modification. Likewise, you can bolt the Chevy motor into the Special and Century base with light modification. Then you just need to find a non-Cam-o-Matic wiper control and swap it in so you don't have redundant wiper control. I've always wondered why Newport Engineering didn't make a bowden wire motor, it just makes sense considering all the cars those motors go in to are controlled with a bowden wire. 

The only issue with the Chevy motors is they're apparently rare and cores are expensive... it's almost $400 for a rebuilt motor, vs $100 for a rebuild of the vacuum motor or $120 for the Newport Engineering motor. The former is stock, but sucks in most situations; the latter rocks, but now you have an original switch that doesn't work and one you need to hide. Hey, maybe I can come up with a prototype in the lab at school and pitch it to them - a bolt on bowden control switch. 

• Like 1