Why dip head bolts in oil?

I am reinstalling my cylinder heads onto my 71 Olds 455 engine. Several pieces of documentation I have seen on the web say to dip the head bolts into engine oil before reinstalling them. Why would I want to do that? Any ideas? Seems to me the bolts would come loose.

double check a factory manual. In some V8's (i'm not suer about yours) the headbolt threads need to be permatexed. In some (but not all engines) the threads can protrude into the water jacket.

When torqueing head bolts you do it in stages like 30FT.LB then 60FT.LB.Then final torque then a retorque. Dry metal to dry metal will stick and will actually take more torque to break bolt loose than the actual torque that is on the shank of the bolt.The torque is to put X amount of pressure evenly against the head gasket not X amount of Ft.Lb on the threads of the bolts. Kinda like the rusted bolt thing. Its not that its tight,its stuck.<P> The amount of torque on those head bolts is tight. You'll see when you torque them. They wont come loose oil or no oil.