Sign in to follow this  
lancemb

Aftermarket Radio Installation

Ronnie

Be sure to checkout  the post by Padgett on page 2.  It is a good solution for installing an aftermarket radio Click here.

Message added by Ronnie

The Reatta I am getting does not have the optional CD, which I think is great because this should just make it easier to upgrade the stereo.  This is the only modification I plan to make, BTW.

Question is, is there any reason why a replacement stereo will not work in this car?  Crutchfield.com showed nothing will fit it.  However, when I typed in for Riviera there were some fits.  Shouldn't these be exactly the same, dash-wise?

Has anybody else had issues with replacing the factory head unit, and how were they overcome?

Thanks

In my opinion both cassettes and CD's are outdated, playing through an MP3 or your phone is the future. You could send in your stereo to one of the repair shops and get a remote jack installed. This would keep the factory look and would cost about the same as buying an aftermarket unit.

If you find you need more base then install a sub woofer. I installed a Kicker powered woofer as it was a self contained unit, easy to install and allows me to move it from car to car as I switch from one Reatta to another as each Reatta has the kicker harness installed.

Thanks for the tips!  This won't be a daily driver so I'm not worried about getting too deluxe with the stereo.  

I do like the MP3 jack idea, but I really want a new stereo so I can have blue tooth for using my phone hands free.  This can also enable MP3 on some models.

1 hour ago, 89RedDarkGrey said:

Here are some photos of my own installation. Jensen 120w FM/AM/CD, Boss 120w 7-band EQ, 4 x200w amps, 2 x10 Farad caps, rear are 12" Pioneer, front are 3-way 6" Dual.

DCP_5062.JPGDCP_5063.JPG

DCP_5019.JPG

i think the double din radio is more narrow and may work better.

14 minutes ago, lancemb said:

Thanks for the tips!  This won't be a daily driver so I'm not worried about getting too deluxe with the stereo.  

I do like the MP3 jack idea, but I really want a new stereo so I can have blue tooth for using my phone hands free.  This can also enable MP3 on some models.

you can get add on bluetooth modules that will feed into aux input.i have one for my home stereo so i assume they are available for cars too.

There was no CD player option in 88-89. Only 90 and 91. What year car do you have? If 90 and 91 and single din with GM kit will work fine. You will need the GM antenna adapter and if you want the wiring kit that will plug into the GM harness. If you have 88 or 89 its a custom ordeal. On my 88 I am using the stock radio with the amplifier gutted preamp out to small Sony amp. I have a FM modulator the plugs into the antenna connection to play my mp3 player thru a FM station.  

• Like 1

I believe the opening is a 1.5 Din, common to GM and Chrysler products of the era, and that is what I installed 20 years ago. There has never been a great selection of aftermarket Din and a half units and no idea what may be available today. Good luck

Wow that bluetooth FM transmitter gadget is interesting!

Yes I am buying a 90 and it is 1.5 din.  1 din radio will fit no problem with a kit too.

As far as I know radio works, it's just that it's tape player only.  I just thought it would be cleaner and neater to have a good head unit with more functionality.

As far as I expected, should be a quick and easy install with the right kit and wiring harness.  That is why I was so perplexed by Crutchfield saying nothing would work.

However, I'm now convinced that is BS.

That gadget on Amazon may be worth trying though, for $25...

Here is the one I bought. Right now I just have it setup in the trunk and it plays thru the usb which works better than the headphone out on my mp3 player.

I can't change tracks using the usb but I don't care. I wanted a wired connection for best sound performance. I do not have a Ipod and have no bluetooth devices so this was best for my setup.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NWW5KY4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 hours ago, Dashmaster said:

Here is the one I bought. Right now I just have it setup in the trunk and it plays thru the usb which works better than the headphone out on my mp3 player.

I can't change tracks using the usb but I don't care. I wanted a wired connection for best sound performance. I do not have a Ipod and have no bluetooth devices so this was best for my setup.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NWW5KY4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The description confuses me.  Is this FM modulator and cable all in one or just cable, still needing FM modulator?

Boy, out for a day an looks what happened. Here's what I did. Whole thing with needed adapters was less than $200 way back then.

Thanks for further input!  I am right now stopped for lunch on way home with car.  It's the real deal!

All of the speakers are garbage though so that's the first order of business. 

Are there any clearance issues with magnet or depth I need to worry about or will pretty much any fit?  

What size are they?   6x9 back and 4x6 door?

After I get speakers taken care of I'll decide on radio but leaning toward just some sort of 20170107_122100.jpgFM modulator option.

AFAIR the door speakers are 5.25". I would only replace with mylar cones, not paper. That looks like a really nice 90 'vert.

Are lucky if do not have the CD, have been looking for a non-cd box & cover off and on for some time.

ps if the cassette works there is an inexpensive solution that works very well form me, have over 500 albums (64GB SD) on my cell phone and sounds better than satellite.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

2 hours ago, padgett said:

AFAIR the door speakers are 5.25". I would only replace with mylar cones, not paper. That looks like a really nice 90 'vert.

Are lucky if do not have the CD, have been looking for a non-cd box & cover off and on for some time.

ps if the cassette works there is an inexpensive solution that works very well form me, have over 500 albums (64GB SD) on my cell phone and sounds better than satellite.

Indeed that is a very inexpensive solution!  I had one of these back in the day for a portable CD player.  Looks pretty wonky but I like the simplicity...

Another approach to an aux input is to use the stock stereo and make a small cable to use its CD player interface.  It requires finding a GM 4-pin speaker plug for the back of the stereo, and filing off the ridge so it will plug into the low level CD audio inputs.  Then add a pin to illumination plug and, when desired, switch +12v on it to get the stereo to listen to the aux input.  If you are interested, I can post more detail.

Beautiful looking 'vert!

Edited by wws944 (see edit history)

Rear speakers in the 'vert are full range (whizzer cone) 4x10".  Front woofers are 5-1/4".  Seperate tweeters.

Edited by wws944 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lancemb said:

Thanks for further input!  I am right now stopped for lunch on way home with car.  It's the real deal!

All of the speakers are garbage though so that's the first order of business. 

Are there any clearance issues with magnet or depth I need to worry about or will pretty much any fit?  

What size are they?   6x9 back and 4x6 door?

After I get speakers taken care of I'll decide on radio but leaning toward just some sort of 20170107_122100.jpgFM modulator option.

Nice car! I thought at first you went to the Widow Schneider's and grabbed my car but I have a rear spoiler and the Buick 7 spoke chrome wheels.

Need more pics!

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Nice car! I thought at first you went to the Widow Schneider's and grabbed my car but I have a rear spoiler and the Buick 7 spoke chrome wheels.

Need more pics!

Thanks!  Just got home and dark now.  I'll post more pics soon on a separate thread and introduce it.

Life is not complete without a 'vert. Back when I had .15% of the total production one was a black/black/gray and was a nice car.

After I had many problem , I decided change my car system with Touch Screen Car StereoIt is the safest and easiest way by far to operate the car audio, built-in phone and the other entertainment in your vehicle. You can use the built-in phone, change a CD or even play a movie with a gentle touch of your fingertip. I am using Kenwood 7 '' . This is larger than most of the units . It also acts as an am/fm Bluetooth receiver and it can receive CD’s and DVD’s too. One thing we really liked about this unit was the fact it came with a backup camera that automatically turned on and displayed when you put your vehicle in reverse. That was a very nice touch. Another very good feature is the display off button. If you hold the mute button down it will turn off the lights on the display yet leave everything working.

Welcome to the forum. This monster fit in the dash of a Reatta? Show us some photos of the installation.

g113DDX770-B.jpg