Bakersfield in April

oldford

Just a quick question... I have a chance to see the Harrah Museum in Sparks this April and might be able to catch the swap meet in Bakersfield. How good is it for early stuff? On another forum, everyone raved about Chickasha but I found it mixed. The good stuff was inside and available via catalogs and the rest was outside and fit for the junk man. Don't get me wrong, but I've thrown out better stuff and most looked like it came from the bottom of a creek...

Frank

Having been to both Chickasha and Bakersfield, I prefer Bakersfield.

At Bakersfield, you'll see a "higher end" selection of pre-war parts. Like Chickasha, you'll see lots of Model T and A parts, but you will see a lot more variety of parts for other makes and models. For some reason, lots of T and A Ford speed equipment shows up at Bakersfield (probably a California thing!) and a lot more expensive "brass" goodies show up there as well. The selection of cars for sale at Bakersfield is usually more diverse, plus there are a lot of nice brass era cars on display from the tour that takes place before the swap meet.

I think they are probably both about the same size, but Bakersfield is all outdoors. Like Chickasha, you can easily cover it in a day and, you should be there as soon as it opens on the first day as the second day is pretty sparse.

Like Chickasha, Bakersfield is all OLD car parts. They are strict about what the sellers bring and it really is all prewar, so you won't see doodads, toys, reproduction signs, new tools, t-shirts and the other junk that clutters up most other swap meets. You'll see plenty of cast iron and brass. Like the Erslands who produce Chickasha, the Model T and HCCA club folks that produce Bakersfield are top notch and do everything they can to make it fun for all.

Chickasha has better BBQ by far. Bakersfield has a good ice cream place.

The weather is usually very pleasant at Bakersfield and the swap meet is all on grass, which makes it nicer than the red dirt and unpredictable weather of Chickasha.

Don't get me wrong, I like Chickasha too-and I have found some really great stuff there-but if I could go back to only one, I would choose Bakersfield. If you are anywhere near Bakersfield, I would definitely attend. I missed it last year but will try to attend this year.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Like 3