Jump to content

Riviera factory anomalies


Recommended Posts

On 1/6/2017 at 1:24 PM, 60FlatTop said:

There is a corporate consciousness in quality control. I live close to Rochester, New York, home of GM's Rochester Products and DELCO divisions. One of the better stories is door lock QC. There were three grades, driver door, passenger door, and junk. The ones that worked smoothly went in the driver's door.

 

Seams in headliners should have the fold facing the rear. Some re-upholsterers don't notice that.

 

I liked the Corboba's when they first came out. All Cordoba's have a misaligned left front fender and door gap.

 

All '55-'57 Thunderbirds have a huge gap between the cowl and the right windshield frame.

 

All 2950's Jaguar large sedans have a kink in the boot lid just below the support strut.

 

Once one gets away from the conceptual appreciation of car models and becomes an owner they see the details.

 

First generation Riviera had a color change? Check the color of the 1/4" strip along the edge of the rear quarter window.

Bernie

Bernie, the devil is in the details. My passenger side door does not close as well as it should.i cannot find telltale signs of previous body work in that area. Could be the door came from the factory that way. A body and fender man said in order to fix it right he would need access to bolts covered up by the passenger side fender. The front fender would come off and he could make the door adjustment. My burning question is how did the door get that way?

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Bernie, the devil is in the details. My passenger side door does not close as well as it should.i cannot find telltale signs of previous body work in that area. Could be the door came from the factory that way. A body and fender man said in order to fix it right he would need access to bolts covered up by the passenger side fender. The front fender would come off and he could make the door adjustment. My burning question is how did the door get that way?

Before removing the fender, consider removing the door skin. Chances are you can reach the necessary bolts that way. Your body and fender man may not realize that your car has removable door skins.  If you help figuring how to remove the skin, just ask.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RivNut said:

Before removing the fender, consider removing the door skin. Chances are you can reach the necessary bolts that way. Your body and fender man may not realize that your car has removable door skins.  If you help figuring how to remove the skin, just ask.

Ed, great Idea. I knew the driver and passenger side door skins could be taken off, but not the fender skins! Wow, what a car!

Red Riviera Bob

pS. For now, I’m studying on how to get passenger side AC bezel replaced, get the glove box door to close even, replace light bulbs behind the HVAC control panel, and replace bulbs behind the instrument cluster. That should keep me busy for awhile.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:39 PM, JZRIV said:

a very interesting design on the 67 is the fiber optic cable that is used to transmit light from a bulb in the instrument panel to illuminate the wiper washer switch

I am replacing all of my instrument panel incandescent bulbs on my 68 with LEDs and I discovered the fiber optic "Seelite cable assembly" that provides illumination to my light, wiper, washer and ignition switch labels. 

 

Below is page 120-376, figure 120-66 of the 1968 Buick Chassis Service manual. Circled is the instrument panel fiber optic system.

 

Can anyone tell me exactly where the light bulb is located under the dash? 

NOTE: The 1968 Buick Parts and Illustrated catalog lists this cable assembly as "SEALITE" with a group number of 2.480 where other references has it as "SEELITE" with group number 2.580.

20171106_201903.jpg

Edited by NCRiviera (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13 February 2017 at 11:43 AM, RivNut said:

The best use of fiber optics I found was on my '83 XXs.  There were two where the headliner met the rear window.  The fiber optic cable ran from the tail lights / brake lights.  Easy way to confirm that all the lights behind you were working properly. 

 

Ed, I found the best way was to view the lights, turn signals etc in a shop window when backing up or parking or parked. You can test and instantly see what does/doesn't work. More importantly it lets you test your rear view mirror at the same time. ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, PWB said:

Did these fit others

I saw a posting on FB the other day where someone was asking about these lenses. I had not seen one until now. Definitely not your standard license plate light lens (thinking Corvette/Chevelle and other GM commonly available).

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, PWB said:

1966-67-Buick-Riviera-License-L-Lamp-Lens.jpg

I wonder if this is a replacement part number because it does not show up on the GM Parts Wiki site nor in the Buick 61-72 Parts / Illustrated Parts manuals.

The Buick parts manual lists 5956395 as the number for the license plate light lens for 66/67 Riviera.

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. The seller must either now his Rivieras or has some cross reference data. 

Same mold as mine:

 

Love your new tires Mr. Mike.  Still wish you went with red lines though. LoL  

 

IMG_1286.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2017 at 1:24 PM, 60FlatTop said:

There is a corporate consciousness in quality control. I live close to Rochester, New York, home of GM's Rochester Products and DELCO divisions. One of the better stories is door lock QC. There were three grades, driver door, passenger door, and junk. The ones that worked smoothly went in the driver's door.

 

Seams in headliners should have the fold facing the rear. Some re-upholsterers don't notice that.

 

I liked the Corboba's when they first came out. All Cordoba's have a misaligned left front fender and door gap.

 

All '55-'57 Thunderbirds have a huge gap between the cowl and the right windshield frame.

 

All 1950's Jaguar large sedans have a kink in the boot lid just below the support strut.

 

Once one gets away from the conceptual appreciation of car models and becomes an owner they see the details.

 

First generation Riviera had a color change? Check the color of the 1/4" strip along the edge of the rear quarter window.

 

These are great! I'll offer one from NCRS judging: a factory painted stinger on a mid-year Corvette will be slightly off center.

 

How about later Rivieras? Did these same kind of consistent assembly issues show up in 1971 and above cars?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...