PWB

Riviera factory anomalies

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:21 AM, JZRIV said:

EmTee - Your hood hinge question don't want to get too off topic but first lubricate ALL pivot points liberally on hinges. Work it in by moving hood up and down15 or 20 times. Numerous options but I use 90wt gear lube in a squirter. If still no good try shimming under the "FRONT" hinge at bolt location (between hinge and hood). If that doesn't do it remove the hinge and elongate the rear bolt hole so the hinge can be lowered at rear.

Now back to anomalies topic: Looking at pic Chimera posted of gas tank. Almost all 66-67 tanks get dented at rear because they stick down below the bumper. I've never owned one that wasn't dented nor could I ever find a used dent free tank.

You made me investigate her underwear. Think I'm darn lucky. And this car was from the crazy streets of San Francisco. Woooweee

qqq.jpg

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

I recently took a couple of pieces of molding from a '65 front fender before selling it.  There was no way to see if the moldings on the fender aligned with the door, but I did notice that the moldings in front of the wheel arch were held on with different kinds of clips than was the molding behind the wheel arch.  If the original clips are replaced on only some moldings, they might not let the molding sit in the same place as the original clips did.  Probably lots of clips are broken or lost during a repaint.  One spring clip on the front molding piece was even installed 90 degrees off from the other one. That could cause an alignment problem as well - especially if there are only two clips per molding involved.  Just a thought.

Ed

Thanks Jason - I did oil all of the hinge pins a while ago and the action did improve a lot.  I'll look at the other tips next time I'm out there.  Oh, and I'm gonna hafta check my gas tank too!  ;)

MT,

There was a recent post somewhere in one of the Buick forums that had a link in it that took you too a site where the guy explained which bolts to loosen, where to shim, and where to put pressure to align hood corners with fenders.  A body manual for any given year usually has hood, fender, and panel alignment guides in it as well.

14 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Thanks Jason - I did oil all of the hinge pins a while ago and the action did improve a lot.  I'll look at the other tips next time I'm out there.  Oh, and I'm gonna hafta check my gas tank too!  ;)

I had the same issue. I used white lithium to fix. I think it sticks around longer.

OK, has anyone seen a consolette or "shorty" in a 2'nd Gen like this?

Console.jpg

9 hours ago, PWB said:

OK, has anyone seen a consolette or "shorty" in a 2'nd Gen like this?

Yup, this was a '66 I looked at before I found Goldie.  This is the only one I've seen in person.

11169586.JPG

31 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Yup, this was a '66 I looked at before I found Goldie.  This is the only one I've seen in person.

Wow, the configurations are endless. Not sure which I like more - Strato Bench or the Shorty for storage ... the buckets don't really "hug" one's self like more modern

"buckets".

I've seen a small handful of the shorty consoles......but thats over 36 years. Pretty uncommon.

The A body cars also got the shorties occasionally, especially the 4 speed cars, although I have seen them on the automatic column shift cars too. 

Edited by cjp69 (see edit history)

This is a fascinating topic. I'm particularly entertained by the oddball cases where laziness or necessity on the production line created some real one off cars. That said, the biggest shocker to me is the overall improvement of paint quality since the 60's. The advances in the technology of the actual paint and it's application is incredible. New cars in the 60's often looked pretty crappy. I know, my parents bought a lot of them. Dealers would boldly sell a new car with really shoddy paint work or fix squawks in a shoddy way. The high end paint work we see in magazine and show cars today is miles ahead of what those cars looked like when new. PRL

Marching on - here are two '67's with different fan shields. Rhyme or reason?

A.jpg

From what I can see in the posted pictures, the car with the full fan shroud is an air conditioned car whereas the one with the fan shield is not.  

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

19 minutes ago, RivNut said:

From what I can see in the posted pictures, the car with the full fan shroud is an air conditioned car whereas the one with the fan shield is not.  

Ahh - you're right!

Now I see AC radiators are wider (Fender to fender)?

Rads were same width A/C and non A/C. Exactly as shown, Non A/C had a different top cover, no fan shroud, and no thermostatic fan clutch.

I think everything is factory. The radiators are the same width fender to fender. If not, they would require different header panels. That would require different grills head light mounting brackets, etc. That ain't gonna happen.  If anything, the air conditioned car would have a thicker radiator, front to back.  The shield on the non air conditioned car is a protective device to keep stuff (fingers etc.) out of the fan.  The shroud surrounding the fan on the air conditioned car is necessary so that the fan can pull air through the condenser AND the radiator as well as protect your fingers. I'm betting that more pictures of each would show the same.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Here's the same '66 I pictured above with the buckets and consolette.  Note the vinyl on this original factory top covers the A-pillars.

11169588.JPG

I did not know late 66 vinyl tops had A-pillars covered. Wonder when that started. I imagine factory 66 jobs like in 67 would have the glued/welded seam splice at top of A-pillar.

EmTee you don't happen to have the VIN from that car do you?

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

12 hours ago, JZRIV said:

EmTee you don't happen to have the VIN from that car do you?

Sorry Jason, I looked at the photos that I have of the car and one with the VIN tag is not close enough to read any numbers.

...But Doug Seybold had the car and you could check with him to see whether he still has a record of the car's VIN.

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)

Not much shout outs from 1st, 3rd - on generations. :mellow:

Perhaps 2nd gen was the wackiest? 

All them new hippies on the plant line

:P

Peace

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:12 AM, JZRIV said:

I've seen a small handful of the shorty consoles......but thats over 36 years. Pretty uncommon.

Here we have a 1967 option book depicting a shorty in a Riviera.

Simply rare! These pups command high dollar. On my radar.

s-l1600.jpg

I don't know if it would be considered and anomaly but a very interesting design on the 67 is the fiber optic cable that is used to transmit light from a bulb in the instrument panel to illuminate the wiper washer switch. The 66 switch was non-lighted. I'm not sure if it was less expensive to light this with a fiber and a special brackets on each end vs another socket and bulb? Or maybe the engineers just wanted to experiment and used it in this less critical application. Or maybe a last minute change and they did not have time to change the wiring harness.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PWB said:

Here we have a 1967 option book depicting a shorty in a Riviera.

Simply rare! These pups command high dollar. On my radar.

s-l1600.jpg

Paul,

Not really rare, they are around. Prices are high because the Skylark guys are shopping them. If you want one for your Riv be careful, the A body and E body versions are different. I dont have the differences committed to memory so cant elaborate but I know they are different.

Tom

11 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Paul,

Not really rare, they are around. Prices are high because the Skylark guys are shopping them. If you want one for your Riv be careful, the A body and E body versions are different. I dont have the differences committed to memory so cant elaborate but I know they are different.

Tom

Whoa, I did not know they were different! I almost bought one. Jeez.

Thanks Mr. Tom. Now I need to find out what the differences are. Ugh :huh:

I miss the "fiber optic" tell tales on my '73 Riv. They were just awesome.

Article on FO tell tales:

http://jalopnik.com/these-tattle-tales-are-americas-weirdest-secret-car-pa-1238802149

18ywht6hlwau0jpg.jpg

Edited by PWB (see edit history)