1st Gen. turn signal cable

RivNut

On 1/4/2017 at 5:46 PM, Seafoam65 said:

Ed.......order one for a Chevrolet Impala and compare it to a Riviera one....they might be the same or be made to work with little effort. Someone needs to do this....I nominate Ed.

On 1/12/2017 at 2:29 AM, KongaMan said:

Where's the fun in that? ;)

More seriously, if you have a set of calipers, can you measure the inner wire, the OD of the sheath, and the ID of the coils?   As alluded to earlier, I need a new heater control cable.  If I can make a turn signal cable as a proof of concept, I'd be fairly confident that the heater cable would be doable.

Mr Konga Man, if anyone can make a part I vote for you. In the case you need a heater cable I have an extra. We can work out a price that works for us- assuming you need one.

By the way I rebuilt the two single diaphram vacuums 3 and 4 on the bottom of my 63 heater box. Unfortunately, I was unable to rebuild so it would hold a vacuum.

RRB

• Like 1

Well, all the info seems to be contained in this post . I ordered a roll of spring wire yesterday and I have a wood lathe that I can run at crawl speed and a Taig mini machinist lathe...how much trouble could I get into ?.Installing the headliner next week so playtime in the shop will have to wait.Thanks to all who contributed with all the size requirements . I dont know if I even need a cable at this point but these cars are getting old and cranky at times.... Hey! you kids ...get off my lawn ! oops maybe it`s the owner.Cheers lads.

To duplicate the original construction, go to a bike shop.  Buy some 4mm brake cable housing (not shifter cable housing).  Cut a piece to length.  Take a section of spring wire.  Coil one end.  Insert into housing.  Coil the other end.  Note: the coils are different diameters and inverted (one faces left, one faces right).  Attach the brackets.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2018 at 11:55 AM, KongaMan said:

To duplicate the original construction, go to a bike shop.  Buy some 4mm brake cable housing (not shifter cable housing).  Cut a piece to length.  Take a section of spring wire.  Coil one end.  Insert into housing.  Coil the other end.  Note: the coils are different diameters and inverted (one faces left, one faces right).  Attach the brackets.

From my experience, the original outer sheath of the cable tends to break right next to one of the brackets at the end.  It is often the upper one, because the cable flexes inside the steering column "head" (the top part that is pivoting when you tilt the wheel) until the plastic sheath breaks.

1901470448_Brokencableend-steeringcolumnheadend.thumb.JPG.2af2ea8b47accd50b42bfabec23e3055.JPG

The brackets are crimped on to the cable housing.  So you can uncrimp and then recrimp.  The exact spacing between the brackets is as important as the length of the wire between the two bent loops.  So measure them before you uncrimp, and reproduce that dimension when you recrimp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1