Wheel options

Bob Hill

I am considering buying a Reatta - I owned one MANY years ago and sold it but lately I have gotten a itch for another one.  While I like the styling of the cars, I hate the wheel options so if I buy one, I would like to put different wheels on it.  I do not; however, want to put aftermarket wheels - I had prefer another GM wheel, and preferably a Buick wheel.

So my question is - what wheel options are out there for the Reatta.  Do all 88-91 Reattas have the same bolt pattern and offset?

Thanks

Bob

Another clue.....all GM big front drive cars use the same bolt pattern ( 5 x 115) so there are many options/choices Cadillac, Buick, Pontiac, Olds, and a limited number of Chevy......Camaro is not the same

Bob, I have gone in two directions with wheels, first I had a set of 17" Buick Lucerne wheels that looked good but required 1" spacers on the front wheels to clear the shock towers, I then went back to my stock wheels that I had polished almost to a chrome finish. The car rides better with the stock 15's. Frank

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0370.JPG

• Like 2

I have a set of the chrome RPO code PO5 Cadillac/Buick wheels pictured by Ronnie on my good 88. Have 16x6.5 chrome wheels of a 2002 LeSabre with the oval openings (these are very similar in design to the stock 1991 wheels) on my 91 coupe. I like both, though the PO5 looks more contemporary having the spoke design and exposed lug nuts. Note that these require the outer end of the CV axles in front to be cut a bit shorter, at least on 88 Reattas, for the center cap to be inserted. 

Sorry I don't have a picture on a car with hub cap but this is a popular wheel for Reatta.

The casting is the same as used on the 1991...16" but no fake rivets and they are chrome...they were an option on 92-93 Riviera and again in 1998-99 on Park Avenue and LeSabre.

140.jpg

I think the biggest problems with the stock wheels are that the clear coat seems to get dull and even craze a bit over time.  Even my car, which only has 16k original, always garaged, miles on it got dinged a couple of points during BCA judging because of this.  The other problem is that 15" wheels are a bit passé these days.

I also have a set of the chrome 16" wheels that Barney and Kevin mentioned - though not currently on the car.  They are very similar to the non-chromed '91 Reatta wheels, but are 6.5" wide instead of 7" wide.  They were an option on late '90s-2000 Rivs and Park Aves, and also 2002 Lesabres.  They add some nice bling.  They also weigh in at a reasonable 19.6 lbs or so, thus probably lighter than many aftermarket wheels.

The 7-spoke Caddy wheels also look great, and I really thought long and hard about them.  They are fairly easy to find on eBay, craigslist, etc.  However I came to the conclusion that I tend to like the look of covered lug bolts on the Reatta.  Gives it a little more 'finished' look.  Also if you look at the original David McIntosh concept drawings for the Reatta, he almost always drew the wheels with caps.

Ronnie/Kevin/Dave - have any of you weighed the Caddy wheels?

I've not weighed them, but need to round up one or two more as one of mine was a grade C wheel to start, and is starting to look ratty enough to need replacement. If I find a nice one soon, will weigh it and post it. Keep in mind that if doing these wheels, you'd need a set of finish grade lug nuts as well. 

OK I just found the receipt.  The wheels aren't on my car now because I need to buy new tires for them and also I use a set of so-so stock wheels for my winter tires.  And it is winter here (see photo), and that's in the carport!

So the tires were Tourevo 94V all season  215/55R-17.  I remember the tire dealer working with me to find the best tire for my car.  They tried on three different sizes until one was found that had the proper clearances, up and down and lock to lock.

IMG_2028.JPG