Franklin 10A Ingition WIre Conduit

busaf4

I am changing the badly deteriorated ignition wires. Having a hard time with snaking the wires through the conduit which is in place, I sprayed the inside with silcon spray hoping it would help.I got the wire to go in about  6 inches before it completely stoped. Between the conduit  and sheet metal shroud there are 6 cylinder shaped  pieces (attached to conduit) that look to be heat protection for the wires. There seems to be very deteriorated grommets between the top f the cylinder and the shroud where the old wires snaked through

The parts manual shows the conduit, cylinder shaped piece, grommets  and wires as one part # so obviously string new wires was a tough job

Should the conduit be removed  so there is enough of an opening to push the wire or run a snake. I presume the grommet remnant should be removed.

Any help from someone who has done this will be greatly appreciated

Art Lee

Hi Art. 

The easiest way to do this is to remove the spark plug wire tube. Take it out by removing the floor boards, and pulling it back.Put the spark tube on a bench or in a vice for this. Attach wire or string to the distributor end of the old wire in the tube. Pull the old wires out. (String or wire through each hole). Put a light Coat of Baby powder in the inside of the tube, or along the new wires. Get rid of the escutcheons. Those go on last. Tie the string or wire, (I used wire) to the spark cables, then wrap the tied ends in electrical tape. Then simply pull each one through, pull 123456 in a bit, and then pull them all through at once. Take off the string and tape.

I think you can buy escutcheons from the club.

Use Packard spark cables from  Restoration Supply.

Hope this was Helpful, and I hope to see you in Bakersfield.

Happy New Year,

Michael Whitehead 

Edited by Franklin Man (see edit history)

Art,

Another help is to use wire grease. I know that sounds like a sky hook joke but it isn't. Electricians use wire grease for pulling wire through conduits. You can find it at Lowes. It doesn't react with the wire and you can wipe it off the exposed wire where it comes out. Never use silicone, grease or Vaseline because this deteriorates the insulation on the wires. 

Bill