1920 Dodge Brothers Touring

Guest jkindel

Guest jkindel

Hello,

I'm new to online forums and I was fortunate enough to have a 1920 DB touring passed on to me last week. It has been in my family for over 90 years, I'm the 4th generation to have the car. It's incredibly neat. It runs, drives, and is in great condition for a 96 year old vehicle. I'm looking for resources, parts, information, knowledge, anything about these cars. I am eager to learn as much as I can about it. I do have one question already, I will need to get a VIN verification to register it. The original floorboards have been replaced, from what I've read there may have been a plaque with the number on the originals. Is there another place on the car where the number might be? 

Thsnk you,

Jessica 

Welcome to the forum.  What state do you live in because every state has a different registration process.  The thing to rember is that they did not start using vin numbers until the 1960's.  What you have is a serial number and the state will not have that number on file.  If you can find out the last time it was registered they may let you file for a lost tittle or you may be required to file for a new vin number.  If we know what state it is for we can help

Welcome Jessica. This is the best place for information, troubleshooting, and learning tricks to keep these cars moving. I have benefited greatly from the knowledge and willingness of the forum members. I have a 1919 and can help as well.

Guest jkindel

Thank you everyone! I'm in northern Colorado. I do have the title, the last time it was registered was by my grandfather in 1980 in California.

The story behind the car- my great grandfather owned one of the first (if not the first) Dodge dealership in Southern California, Kindel Motors. The building is still standing, it's in Pasadena and is registered as a historic place. I've never seen it but I found pictures online. When he sold the dealership, he bought this car back from its owner, it is supposed to be the first car he sold. The car went to my grandfather, he kept it in Moreno Valley in storage at a chicken ranch. My dad restored and repaired a lot of the car before I was born in the 70s. I remember going driving in it with my mom and dad when I was 3 or so. My grandfather eventually moved the car to where he lived in downtown LA. I heard a story about him and a friend getting a bit drunk, and taking the car out for a drive in downtown LA traffic. They were pulled over, the officer thought it was funny, picture two 80 year old businessmen in suits cruising around, and sent them home.  Grandpa eventually gave the car to my dad and it came to Colorado. My dad decided that I would enjoy it, drive it and work on it, and it came to me about a week ago!

I will crawl under it soon and see if I can find the serial number stamp on the frame.  Pictures are below!

Thank you so much!

IMG_1788.JPG

IMG_3484.JPG

IMG_3487.JPG

IMG_3489.JPG

IMG_3554.JPG

Guest jkindel

The VIN verification can be done by an officer at the police station. I was thinking that with as old as the car is, no one is really going to know more than I do about it. It'd be pretty easy to make that work.

Guest jkindel

I found the number!! But..... it doesn't match the number on the title. I'm wondering if California may have assigned the car a number when it was registered.

Nice car, congratulations on saving a family owned car. You need to join the Dodge Brothers Club, there's a separate website. We have lots of members out your way and the international meet for 2017 is in Calif. If you are in Colorado you have lots of good DB roads. I get to Denver about once a year and have been over much of the state. The number on the title, does it match the engine? Or is there a state supplied tag on the firewall? If you found the actual number on the frame you should be able to correct the paperwork with your state. 

Guest jkindel

I will definitely join the Dodge Brothers Club. I live in a small town with paved roads, it has been perfect for driving the car around! Engine number, where is that located? When and where is the meet in California? It would be fun to go.  

Thank you!!

Hello Jessica, I live in Western Australia and our vehicle registrations are similar but different One thing that has not been mentioned so far is that some states in the US used the engine number on the title I think that you will find that number in the engine near the carburettor mounting  VERY nice car by the way and love the history of it Cheers Ron

1 hour ago, jkindel said:

I will definitely join the Dodge Brothers Club. I live in a small town with paved roads, it has been perfect for driving the car around! Engine number, where is that located? When and where is the meet in California? It would be fun to go.  

Thank you!!

Go here for the California meet information in Fallbrook....http://www.dodgebrothersclub.org/annual_meet

Guest jkindel

Ron,

That sounds incredible! Do you have pictures? I'm a beginner in the classic car world, my DB is 60 years older than I am and I've had it for 8 days now. I'm learning as fast as I can though.

Yes, welcome to this DB site!  Another idea to find the frame number/serial number for your 1920 DB is to look under the front floorboard on the passenger side.  The number would have been stamped on the top of the cross member.  For the year 1920 the serial numbers ranged from 424146 to 565000, so look for a number in that range.  Keep in mind that you may need to do a little cleaning to make the number visible.  Also, the engine number, which is usually around 50,000 higher than the frame number, is located on the engine block over the carburetor intake (driver's side).  There should be a flat casting area with a 6-digit number.  Good Luck!

Guest jkindel
18 minutes ago, HBergh said:

Yes, welcome to this DB site!  Another idea to find the frame number/serial number for your 1920 DB is to look under the front floorboard on the passenger side.  The number would have been stamped on the top of the cross member.  For the year 1920 the serial numbers ranged from 424146 to 565000, so look for a number in that range.  Keep in mind that you may need to do a little cleaning to make the number visible.  Also, the engine number, which is usually around 50,000 higher than the frame number, is located on the engine block over the carburetor intake (driver's side).  There should be a flat casting area with a 6-digit number.  Good Luck!

Thank you! I did find the serial number on the cross member under the passenger seat.  It was hard to see, it has been painted over, but I got it!  I found the engine number as well.  Serial is 549107, engine number is 598667.  Great information about the serial and engine numbers!  My California title only has the engine number.  I need to do a VIN verification with my local police department to register the car in Colorado, should I only show them the engine number and not mention the serial number since that is what matches on the title?  Thanks HBergh

Jessica

I suggest going the "don't ask don't tell" route.

If you have matching numbers on the title AND car run with it.

If you offer any contrary information things will go downhill fast.

The main thing is to get a good title.

Nothing else matters..........except to you.

Very common practice for them to use the engine number on the title. They did it with my 1931 Dodge Brothers coupes. With my coupes, the build card has both numbers on it so it can be registered with either number if necessary. As long as you get the copy of the build card, it should not be a problem.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Pete in PA said:

Feeling kind of dumb, here, but did a 1920 DB not have bumpers?

A lot of cars of that era came without bumpers and a lot of accessory/aftermarket bumpers were available

Guest jkindel
16 hours ago, cahartley said:

I suggest going the "don't ask don't tell" route.

If you have matching numbers on the title AND car run with it.

If you offer any contrary information things will go downhill fast.

The main thing is to get a good title.

Nothing else matters..........except to you.

That is what I am going to roll with and see how it goes.  I'll try to get the cops over here to do a VIN tonight or tomorrow.  Fingers crossed!  Thanks!

Guest jkindel

Another question!!  Insurance...  Should I go with my normal insurance company or is there a special classic car insurance company that is better?  I spoke with my insurance today, we were trying to come up with a value for the car.  Suggestions?  I have no idea, we never had it appraised because no one ever planned to sell it.  Value didn't matter all that much, it is priceless to our family.

Thanks,

Jessica

Either works, but I think it depends on your state laws and your driving. Several specialty companies offer very reasonable insurance which you attach value. Some regular companies also do this, some do not. Some states restrict driving if you use antique licence. For example in Pa. a car without sealed beam headlights, like your DB, can not be driven at night. Also driving is restricted to parades, club events, and one day a week but not to work. One size does not fit all. Check with your state and several insurance Co.s. Some want a log of where you drive and mileage for the year. Lots of variables. BTW, if you do not have the Book of Information, which is the DB owner's manual, you need one. You want the one printed JUST before your car was built. DB changed designs constantly and printed new manuals several times per year. AACA library has many manuals that belong to the DBC, can be copied and mailed if you look at their online catalog on their website. Or they can be bought on Ebay or flea markets.

There are three antique/vintage car insurers whose names come up most often: Hagerty, Grundy and J C Taylor (there are others but these come up most often).

I happen to use Hagerty.

Whoever you chose to use don't accept ANYTHING but AGREED VALUE.

There are numerous insurance threads here and elsewhere.

These Dodges are cool cars but, sadly. not particularly highly valued.

I don't think you'd have to do much convincing to get an agreed value of 10K however.

Guest jkindel
On 1/2/2017 at 4:35 PM, cahartley said:

There are three antique/vintage car insurers whose names come up most often: Hagerty, Grundy and J C Taylor (there are others but these come up most often).

I happen to use Hagerty.

Whoever you chose to use don't accept ANYTHING but AGREED VALUE.

There are numerous insurance threads here and elsewhere.

These Dodges are cool cars but, sadly. not particularly highly valued.

I don't think you'd have to do much convincing to get an agreed value of 10K however.

Thank you! I will talk with my insurance folks a bit more and see what they come up with.

Jessica

Guest jkindel
On 1/2/2017 at 4:34 PM, nearchoclatetown said:

Either works, but I think it depends on your state laws and your driving. Several specialty companies offer very reasonable insurance which you attach value. Some regular companies also do this, some do not. Some states restrict driving if you use antique licence. For example in Pa. a car without sealed beam headlights, like your DB, can not be driven at night. Also driving is restricted to parades, club events, and one day a week but not to work. One size does not fit all. Check with your state and several insurance Co.s. Some want a log of where you drive and mileage for the year. Lots of variables. BTW, if you do not have the Book of Information, which is the DB owner's manual, you need one. You want the one printed JUST before your car was built. DB changed designs constantly and printed new manuals several times per year. AACA library has many manuals that belong to the DBC, can be copied and mailed if you look at their online catalog on their website. Or they can be bought on Ebay or flea markets.

I will ask more details about coverage and driving.  They did not say anything when I spoke with them yesterday, other than I probably would not be taking it out much since it is winter (very true).  My car is a 1920, should I look for a 1919 manual?

Thank you!

jkindel, you want the 14th edition, printed in July 1 of 1920. The next one, 15th edition was printed in 1922. There will be two originals in the AACA library soon, can be accessed by their online catalog.  There's a 13th edition there now, printed in April 1920 but you should wait for the 14th. Apparently something significant changed from April to July to cause them to print another manual. But then nothing changed much until 1922. 

Edited by nearchoclatetown (see edit history)

Guest jkindel
6 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

jkindel, you want the 14th edition, printed in July 1 of 1920. The next one, 15th edition was printed in 1922. There will be two originals in the AACA library soon, can be accessed by their online catalog.  There's a 13th edition there now, printed in April 1920 but you should wait for the 14th. Apparently something significant changed from April to July to cause them to print another manual. But then nothing changed much until 1922. 

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate all of the information.

• 10 months later...
Guest 70CADWAGON

RESTORE OR HOT ROD I JUST BOUGHT A 1919 DODGE TOURING FAIRLY COMPLETE BUT MISSING WINDSHIELD ,TOP, SEAT FRAMES AND MORE THE BODY IS NICE FOR THE AGE JUST A LITTLE RUST THROUGH IT WAS A BARN FIND SO EVERYTHING IS FROZE UP  HOW HARD IS IT TO FIND PARTS

I would restore it.  The parts are avaliable and the knowledge is readly  avaliable and free for the asking.  I have built rods out of junk and speedsters out of parts and it is harder to build a good rod then restore.  Once you have rodded it is gone forever.  If you want a rod there are many projects out there that some one gave up on.

• Like 1