1967 Golden Anniversary!

PWB

Happy Golden Anniversary to all 1967 Buicks and their masters!

As you may know, 1967 heralded more safety, reliability, efficiencies and horsepower.

The Buick chieftains (Mr. Bill Mitchells' entourage) rattled the GM cage once again.

Lets pay homage to them. May God bless.

I'd say we can all be more proud this golden year - and onward.

001.jpg

• Like 5

Recognizing engineering continues to move forward, and with absolutely no disrespect to 1967's and further( I own two of them) , I would note that the nailhead will always be fondly remembered, and hopefully, enjoyed...   

• Like 3

The 1965-70 era seemed to be when so many vehicular systems reached their zenith (Zenith still made TVs back then) and so many things "got right" with designs and engineering . . . things which lasted about another 8 or 9 years on many vehicles' engineering and design.  As much as I liked the '65 Buick B/C cars, the '67s seemed to be more bold and "up front" in styling and design.  That boldness and "ease of lines" (with another version of the Buick SweepSpear body line) made then easily recognizable as BUICK.  Generally GOOD times back then and some GREAT BUICKS!

Just LOOKING at them, you KNEW they were luxury and luxurious cars that "rode easy" and comforted their passengers in ways that later generations of cars didn't seem to accomplish in the same way these cars did.  The "luxury" of style on a vehicle large enough for "lines" to start and end.  The "luxury" of ample interior space!  The "luxury" of more than enough luggage compartment space!  The "luxury" of almost effortless steering and braking.  The "luxury" of very ample engine power and a very smooth automatic transmission. 

Now, even with electronic shock absorbers, it seems that "luxury" now means "hard ride" (harder than "firm"), smaller engines that need 6+ forward gears to perform decently (although with better fuel economy), "form-fitting" interiors, and "chromeless" shapes.  "Blandness built-in", it seems.   Brand is now defined by grille configurations and rear brand ornamentation, NOT body lines.  Take the grille out of those '67 Buicks, along with stripping the other logo ornaments, and you'd still know what it was.  Try that with a modern Buick, respectfully so.

Those were the daaaayyyyysssssss!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
NTX5467 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

The 1965-70 era seemed to be when so many vehicular systems reached their zenith (Zenith still made TVs back then) and so many things "got right" with designs and engineering . . . things which lasted about another 8 or 9 years on many vehicles' engineering and design.  As much as I liked the '65 Buick B/C cars, the '67s seemed to be more bold and "up front" in styling and design.  That boldness and "ease of lines" (with another version of the Buick SweepSpear body line) made then easily recognizable as BUICK.  Generally GOOD times back then and some GREAT BUICKS!

Just LOOKING at them, you KNEW they were luxury and luxurious cars that "rode easy" and comforted their passengers in ways that later generations of cars didn't seem to accomplish in the same way these cars did.  The "luxury" of style on a vehicle large enough for "lines" to start and end.  The "luxury" of ample interior space!  The "luxury" of more than enough luggage compartment space!  The "luxury" of almost effortless steering and braking.  The "luxury" of very ample engine power and a very smooth automatic transmission. 

Now, even with electronic shock absorbers, it seems that "luxury" now means "hard ride" (harder than "firm"), smaller engines that need 6+ forward gears to perform decently (although with better fuel economy), "form-fitting" interiors, and "chromeless" shapes.  "Blandness built-in", it seems.   Brand is now defined by grille configurations and rear brand ornamentation, NOT body lines.  Take the grille out of those '67 Buicks, along with stripping the other logo ornaments, and you'd still know what it was.  Try that with a modern Buick, respectfully so.

Those were the daaaayyyyysssssss!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
NTX5467 

I concur!  If this (see below) giant piece of thin plastic grill is what defines a top cars' attributes today, I'd rather go without. Just my opinion. No hate here, I just don't get the current ambiance or lack there of. Perhaps people are not getting enough exposure to the arts en total?

Architecture, paintings, geography, fashion, animal form, locomotion, etc. - through the arc of human experience.

Heck, I'm no expert either... to each their own, ultimately.  Cheers!      

$_35.jpg

Edited by PWB (see edit history)
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Rivman said:

Here is a nice '67, an ROA members car, slightly modified but a sharp Riv, and the paint looks great too!

I know there a lots of nice ones out there but I just think is a great looking example.

And it has the rare (for '67) "tear drop" headrests. Wish I had them!

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

My first car was a 1967 Wildcat. I located a picture of one on the internet that looks pretty close.

1967-buick-1967-buick-wildcat-pictures-cargurus-0.jpg

This is a close match, BUT, mine was our family car that four of us learned to drive in, and it was a rust bucket being a Michigan car, that was in the late 70s.

22 hours ago, Rivman said:

My first car was a 1967 Wildcat. I located a picture of one on the internet that looks pretty close.

This is a close match, BUT, mine was our family car that four of us learned to drive in, and it was a rust bucket being a Michigan car, that was in the late 70s.

That is a real chick magnet Randall :P Aside from rust I bet that car was very reliable. Very simple solid engineering in those late 60s Buicks. Very easy to work on.

As long as cars last today, its easy to forget what a short life span daily drivers had in rust belt states.

I am also partial to my 67s.  They are comfortable drivers for crusing around town as well as on the highway.  I staarted driving in the 60s and graduated high school in 67.  The newer short wheelbase FWD cars just don't have the same feel.   

Chuck Bloomberg

2015 JUNE.jpg

100_1360.JPG

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, CBloomberg said:

I am also partial to my 67s.  They are comfortable drivers for crusing around town as well as on the highway.  I staarted driving in the 60s and graduated high school in 67.  The newer short wheelbase FWD cars just don't have the same feel.   

Chuck Bloomberg

2015 JUNE.jpg

100_1360.JPG

This is what makes the BCA a great club!  I absolutely love this car!!! And the vehicle is welcomed at any  Buick event!  Great Picture Chuck! 

hard to believe it's been 50 years since i got mad at the foreman and made several "mildcats". yep it was my job to put the script in the deck lid at the wilmington delaware plant. but in my defence if your 1967 wildcat or le sabre hasn't been wrecked, i can take some of the credit, i also installed the master cylinder too.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cheezestaak2000 said:

hard to believe it's been 50 years since i got mad at the foreman and made several "mildcats". yep it was my job to put the script in the deck lid at the Wilmington, Delaware plant... 

That's a good one!  I see that the "Wildcat" name

was in individual capital letters.

Though I'd never actually do it, I always thought

it would be funny to change a "GRAND AM" into a "GRAND MA."

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:01 AM, JZRIV said:

That is a real chick magnet Randall :P Aside from rust I bet that car was very reliable. Very simple solid engineering in those late 60s Buicks. Very easy to work on.

As long as cars last today, its easy to forget what a short life span daily drivers had in rust belt states.

Yea, not so much!

At 130K miles that 430 would still smoke the tires though! Of course that might have been because it weighed a good bit less in the rear than it was originally built! The rust had eaten it so bad the dog legs behind the back doors were gone, and I used plumbers strapping tape to keep the quarters from flapping in the wind at 70 mph. Pretty much gone from the back doors back by the time I got rid of it. But, yes, it still ran pretty good.

I had an opportunity to buy a '73 Camaro LT at a good price back then, but even at the good price it was way out of my price range, so I got to settle for the old family car!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rivman said:

Yea, not so much!

At 130K miles that 430 would still smoke the tires though! Of course that might have been because it weighed a good bit less in the rear than it was originally built! The rust had eaten it so bad the dog legs behind the back doors were gone, and I used plumbers strapping tape to keep the quarters from flapping in the wind at 70 mph. Pretty much gone from the back doors back by the time I got rid of it. But, yes, it still ran pretty good.

I had an opportunity to buy a '73 Camaro LT at a good price back then, but even at the good price it was way out of my price range, so I got to settle for the old family car!

:lol:LMAO  "plumbers tape" - Reminds me of my New York '64 Impala - the rear chassis had fist size holes.

A cop pulled me over and said what kind of POS is this? In 1982!

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:12 AM, JZRIV said:

Happy Anniversary 67. 

67GS.jpg

Just wondering, is that a picture of your '67 GS from a few years ago? I think you said it was one that you held onto for a long time, longer than some you have had, correct?

2 hours ago, Rivman said:

Just wondering, is that a picture of your '67 GS from a few years ago? I think you said it was one that you held onto for a long time, longer than some you have had, correct?

Yes that's it. I owned it longer than any car either drivers or classics. 17 years. Anyone who knows me knows that's a really long time for me to keep a car. The runner up was a driver black Lincoln Mark VIII LSC at 9 years. Sold the 67 to help fund the 66 GS restoration. Without that income, I could not have completed the 66.

Pic is from after it arrived at its new home in So CA. Owner has a beautiful auto collection. I don't think the car is white anymore.

My first car was a 67 Skylark convertible  in1970 for $1500 from a VW dealer. Green Mist with parchment interior and white top. 340  4 bbl and ST 300 trans. 59K miles. I removed the skirts and installed the Special rear wheel moldings that everyone is looking for today. Got me through college. Traded it in with 112K miles mostly because there was talk in 1975 that premium gas was going to disappear. Happy Anniversary 1967!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I will join the 67 crowd and post photos of my three 67 'A' bodies.  Sportwagon fully loaded with options including A/C, power windows, power front seat, AM/FM, three seat, and a Vista Cruiser.  GS 400 Convertible is a rare 4 speed since they only made 400+.  Finally the GS 400 hardtop is a complete frame on restoration.  All new or rebuilt drive train, suspension, Vintage Air, white bucket/console interior, Switchpitch auto,   Since I graduated from college in 1967 it was a great year!

Chuck

DSC_1743 - Copy.JPG

67vert9.jpg

DSC_4641.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 0:09 AM, chuck nixon said:

Well, I will join the 67 crowd and post photos of my three 67 'A' bodies.  Sportwagon fully loaded with options including A/C, power windows, power front seat, AM/FM, three seat, and a Vista Cruiser.  GS 400 Convertible is a rare 4 speed since they only made 400+.  Finally the GS 400 hardtop is a complete frame on restoration.  All new or rebuilt drive train, suspension, Vintage Air, white bucket/console interior, Switchpitch auto,   Since I graduated from college in 1967 it was a great year!

Chuck

Mr. Chuck,

Do you still possess the wagon? (Chuck-wagon LOL)

Gorgeous AND priceless.

We are a wagon family. Have a caddy wagon now.

No 67 50th Annv. thread would be complete without my friend Keith Bleakney's 67 Special Deluxe - it has a several page / 22 picture spread in Septembers Hemming"s Classic Car magazine.  Keith's 67 was also the first 67 to receive a BCA Senior Gold way back in 1992. He has owned the car 38 years.

fullsizeoutput_12b.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpg

fullsizeoutput_98c.jpeg

Edited by 72Guru (see edit history)
  • Like 2