Sign in to follow this  
Bill Reichert

Parasitic drain on fuse #6

I'm proud of me at 72 getting outside at 32 ° and kneeling in gravel to find the drain.  Now I have to figure out which function it is.  I'm guessing the ABS that I hate anyway.

Can I just pull the 2 abs fuses at the front of the passenger fender?

Well, here is what #6 powers: Under hood lamp, power mirrors, illuminated entry, door courtesy lamps, trunk lamp, illuminated vanity mirrors, speed control and stop lamps.

Happy hunting.

• Like 1

*I* would start with the stop lamps, trunk lamp, and illuminated entry/courtesy lights.

Reason? Stop lamps are at the very back of the car at the end of the harness. so if those aren't the draw, it knocks a bunch of wiring to muck with off the list. Check the trunk lamp to make sure it isn't stuck "on" and that the wires aren't pinched. The illuminated entry and courtesy lamps have the wires in the doors. On my one parts car the harness had gotten chaffed in the door and it shorted out the illuminated entry...took out most of that wire! I had to fix that when I was mucking with my dash harness. I think the guy got lucky it didn't burn the car down because it totally melted the wire! I replaced the entire wire, pins and all from a spare harness I had laying around.

4 hours ago, bilk said:

On my 1989 TC it was the spare tire/tool kit compartment light staying on.

That was part of it.  Still checking.  It stayed charged for 3 days.