Gas Tank Sealants/Coatings

Jack Worstell

Guest 22Coupe

Jack,

.   I had the tank done on my '22 by Gas Tank Renu. After removing rust inside there were pin holes. So, I had Renu seal it. They sandblast the tank inside and out. Then coat it inside and out. They have a lifetime warranty or as long as you own the car. It is not cheap. Usually runs about $300 to $350. But, I am happy with the finished product and it has been about 3 and a half years since it was done. Hope this was of help.

Gary

I also recommend the Caswell Sealer.  It's 2part epoxy and is really thick.  Short time frame to get it in and sloshed around though.  That is the downfall.  

A lot of the regular sealers are too thin.  

I'd also never seal a tank that hasn't been acid dipped.  Your wasting your time if it isn't completely clean inside.  Those "kits" to clean the tank yourself are sketchy.  

I buy a new tank or make one whenever the budget allows.  

I have never had good luck with motorcycle tanks and the coatings, they usually start breaking down. The molten tin coating sounds good to me but I've never seen it. I never have a problem with a tank once I have it cleaned even if I leave it alone. I live in Las Vegas

and we don't have much humidity so maybe thats the reason, also I keep my tanks pretty full.