Garry Mason

Stearns Knight, Skinner oil refiner

I have a 29 Stearns Knight with a Skinner oil refiner I have taken it apart to make it work. I am now looking for a gasket set or supplier of suitable material. Any advice would be appreciated. I tried Form a gasket but was not pleased with the results. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_20150817_115619.jpg

IMG_20150817_115510.jpg

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Gary,  you are probably going to need to cut all the gaskets by hand.   You should post some pictures of your car to the Stearns Knight thread here: 

• Like 1

Does this thing work by driving the moisture in the oil off by using the exhaust heat?  They only made that type for a couple of years because they basically cooked the oil.  If that is the type that it is I would block the exhaust so that it is not functional.

Cooked oil does not lubricate very well.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, nickelroadster said:

Does this thing work by driving the moisture in the oil off by using the exhaust heat?  They only made that type for a couple of years because they basically cooked the oil.  If that is the type that it is I would block the exhaust so that it is not functional.

Cooked oil does not lubricate very well.

I believe it heats the oil to above 300 degrees and reclaims the volatiles and supposedly the impurities via vacuum for reburn through the intake manifold. It's could be blocked off however I would like to get it operating as it was.

6 hours ago, alsancle said:

Gary,  you are probably going to need to cut all the gaskets by hand.   You should post some pictures of your car to the Stearns Knight thread here: 

Thanks, the original gasket material was mica Buy the looks of it and asbestos on the top of the unit. I tried unsuccessfully with copper and Kapton,

Edited by Garry Mason
I posted a few pics on your site (see edit history)

The 1929 stearns engine was basically a willys knight 66 a engine check the wokr.org website for info.  Service info and some of the gaskets are available  thru the club.  The Rectifier to housing was a copper gasket.

The was a service bulletin to put a baffle plate between the rectifier housing and the exhaust manifold.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2016 at 9:30 AM, wk66 said:

The 1929 stearns engine was basically a willys knight 66 a engine check the wokr.org website for info.  Service info and some of the gaskets are available  thru the club.  The Rectifier to housing was a copper gasket.

The was a service bulletin to put a baffle plate between the rectifier housing and the exhaust manifold.

Thanks this is excellent information much appreciated.

Just now, Garry Mason said:

Thanks this is excellent information much appreciated.

I have heard many conflicting opinions about motor oil 30 weight vs multigrade detergent vs non detergent compressor oil... Anything definitive on an engine with 78000 miles and some smoking issues but not outrageous? I will be following things on the Willis Overland site thank you so much.Garry

Oil is discussed every month or so on these fora. Do a search to find it.

Suffice to say, non-detergent oil has NOTHING to recommend it. Your engine will wear most quickly on this oil. It will wear least quickly on synthetic oil.

• Like 1

I have several Willys Knights and have driven thousands of miles over the last 40 years, after cleaning the oil pan I use 10w40 detergent .

Clean the rectifier and look for vaccuum leaks in the suction system of the rectifier, the t-bolts  thru the flat tube get plugged and the copper washers on both sides of th tube develop leaks and will not suck the excess oil from the sleeves.

Check the bimetal valve in the top of the rectifier this controls vaccuum to the rectifier in the later cars the left the port open so the rectifier worked regardless of engine temperature. 

The club has the rectifier housing to manifold gasket made of copper

• Like 1

On 12/29/2016 at 5:14 PM, Garry Mason said:

Thanks very helpful !

Gary,  how did this work out for you?    Talking to the Knight guys,  getting the rectifer working correctly is key to not smoking everyone behind you to death.     I guess there were multiple versions,  and since you have a late car it should be the later version which was supposed to work pretty well.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1