'29 DA steering difficulty and noise

Bob Zetnick

I had disconnected the steering box in order to take out the length of tubing from steering column to take off steering wheel to restore. I have put steering wheel back into place and have reconnected the 4 bolts on the steering box. It seems the steering gears mesh in only one way to get the bolts to line up and close the gap between the 2 steering box pieces. I now turn the wheel and it seems more difficult than when tires were on the ground (car is currently on jacks).When I turn to the right there are noises like the rubbing of a tire on sheet metal, but that isn't happening. Have I done something wrong here or maybe a tip in putting steering gear together?....all was working fine before I unbolted the steering box.

So maybe this is an issue of not greasing since 1983 and cold weather here vs. the warmer weather when I took the steering wheel off....seems like the noise and hardness to steer may be coming from where the drag link meets the tie rod.....I will add if you have any other info I would appreciate it. Thank you fellow DBers and Merry Christmas!!!

So, perhaps, grease it all and see? With my recent experience of the DC drag link and how completely stuffed it turned out to be I would undo the drag link plugs a fair bit, inject some grease and retighten. These things are so tight in service it is hard to get grease in there, esp. since the top is a large open hole with almost no confinement to the grease other than a cover.

How about tracking it down... take the drag link off the steering arm 1st?

Remember to put a semi-fluid grease in the steering box, not a "chassis" grease.

If the grease is hard, it is the wrong stuff so take it out. I will be wiped off when the wheel is turned and won't flow back and there will soon be no lubrication. This car wasn't made to run only on warm days!

If it has a grease nipple on the steering box, that nipple my have no ball in it. It is NOT a "grease" nipple but an oil nipple (well, thick oil, like a semi-fluid grease).

Needs to adjusted and aligned with steering post, if tension on post in cab, it will bind, 

If you have not dust worm , loosen four bolts on frame and loosen where it bolts on colum, 
tigten four bolts on frame cross pattern, making sure colum is centered in holder on dash, , I have a SB procedure 4 pages that Harry sent to me, 
PM me a email and I will send

2 minutes ago, 30dodge35 said:

Needs to adjusted and aligned with steering post, if tension on post in cab, it will bind, 

If you have not dust worm , loosen four bolts on frame and loosen where it bolts on colum, 
tigten four bolts on frame cross pattern, making sure colum is centered in holder on dash, , I have a SB procedure 4 pages that Harry sent to me, 
PM me a email and I will send

Can you post it here so we can all learn?

If you have adjusted on the one bolt that has eccentric where box mounts on bracket, then you will have to go all the way to the beginning, 

word of caution done try and take all the slack out of worm gear, it will holler at the extremes, all adjustment done on jack stand, 

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

If you have adjusted on the one bolt that has eccentric where box mounts on bracket, then you will have to go all the way to the beginning, 

word of caution done try and take all the slack out of worm gear, it will holler at the extremes, all adjustment done on jack stand, 

the the third paragraph on first page is important, no sideways bind on column