OCA Judging

I read on the OCC website about new judging rules, haven't been a member for a few years, so was wondering what changes are effect. Going to re-up in Lansing.

Best advice I can offer is to contact Bob Casey, OCA Head Judge, and see what's changed. Very approachable guy and a member of Olds Club of Canada too. He'll listen and try to answer your concerns and questions.<P>OCA has changed so much in the two years since I left the OCA Board of Directors that I don't feel I can offer any accurate info. What's really irksome is that changes were made and some of the Zone people didn't put the info out to the Chapters; the Chapters went about planning shows and activities based on previous guidelines and then had the rug pulled out from under them when it came time to advertise.<P>Better days are coming...

What do you all think of judging at the smaller shows. The last all Olds show I went to was participant judging and it was obvious that groups voted for their own cars. Some poor cars took prizes. Judging seems to be fair.

Judging is also damned hard work and takes up a lot of time, and for those reasons it's hard to get people to help judge at a smaller show. That's why most local shows now rely on participant judging- you got a car in the show, you got a vote in each class. Not the most equitable way to see that the proper car gets the proper award, but a fact of life.<P>Plus, people being what they are, they'll blow up over a perceived slight by a judging team (read "my car didn't win first place") and then the judges get trashed in person and in print. Then the volunteer judges get disgusted and quit. It never ends. Been doing this for nearly 20 years , and <I>it never ends</I>.<P>Any more, the NC Olds Club uses participant judging as it's more efficient, but we give owners the option of having their car judged by the OCA scoresheet by a team of qualified OCA judges. This is done by prior request with the understanding that scoresheet results have no bearing on the outcome of that day's show. We find that this option is taken mostly by people who are preparing a car for Nationals and want to know what they need to do to get the highest score.<p>[ 06-24-2002: Message edited by: rocketraider ]

• 4 weeks later...
Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Is there going to be judging at the Lansing Show this year?<P>I did register, but if there is judging, do you have to sign up seperatly?<P>Scott Mich OCA # 3947, BCA # 6619<BR>1959 Olds SS-88<BR>1955 Buick Roadmaster Convertible 76-C<BR>1960 Corvair Modle 700 De-Lux

No awards but a great gift that every participant is sure to cherish. There will be some neat surprises in the goodie bag and at the dinner.<P>Judging is necessary BUT the more years one is in the hobby the more you realize that the task is a dfficult and sometimes unrewarding aspect of our hobby. There are too many problems with judging to mention and sadly many of us lose sight of why we really are in this hobby. It should not be to win a trophy....anyone that really needs one can have any of mine that are stored in boxes somewhere!<P>That being said, I understand the frustration of some owners that have meticulously documented their restorations only to see some car "skate" by.<P>Anyway, a BIG thanks to all the judges who give of their time to our club.