Brass is Best

What was your favorite car related Christmas / holiday memory?

In 79 or 80 I was given a Craftsman rollaway tool chest, still have the base, gave dad the two drawer basic top when I bought a monster top a few years later.

Probably not my best Christmas memory, but a fun one I hadn't thought of for a long time, until I saw this thread.

In the 1980's I was living in my hometown of Alexandria, Louisiana, so even December wasn't unbearably cold.   A friend across town asked if I'd be Santa for his kids, he even had a full blown Santa suit.  I was always a plus-size guy, so I guess that's why my name came up frequently when who'd play Santa was asked.

I put on the outfit, and for fun, got out my '38 Packard convertible coupe.  Top down, Santa drove to his house and entertained the kids.  Santa had so much fun, smiling and HO HO HOing and waving to everyone on the way to his house, that Santa left there and drove around town for a couple hours, smiling and waving and yelling Merry Christmas.  It was a blast......

1938Packard09_jpg.jpg

• Like 4

I recall one Christmas, probably in the late 1970s, when it was getting late in the season and we still didn't have a Christmas tree. As a kid, that scared me, mostly because I knew my father hated Christmas (he would frequently say his favorite part of the holiday season was when he got to throw the finished tree out the window and drag it to the curb). Anyway, it was probably December 20 or 21st, close enough that I was figuring my holiday-hating father would tell us we weren't getting a tree this year. I recall I was getting ready for bed and he wasn't home yet, which was odd, but not unheard-of. But as we were scrubbing up for bed, we heard opera music in the driveway (my father loved opera). Going out the front door, there's dad in his triple-black 1966 Cadillac convertible, which was sadly his daily driver even in the winter, top down with a giant tree standing up in the back seat and some Wagnerian aria blaring from the speakers.

I don't know what made my father's heart grow three sizes that particular year, but it was a good Christmas and that was certainly one hell of an entrance. I have photos of the car in the driveway with the tree and snow all over the place, but not handy enough to post.

• Thanks 1

I was in the Army in 67 stationed at FT Belvoir VA just outside DC. I had just gotten orders to go across the pond in Jan. I had my 62 Thunderbird on base and was going to head home for Christmas leave. It started snowing the day before and a bunch of guys had their flights cancelled and asked if I had room to get to Chicago. Six of us and our duffel bags packed in the tied closed trunk of that four seater Tbird for a 500 mile blizzard conditions drive. I think the only reason we made the 17 hour trip was the weight in the car kept it from sliding off the road. I just couldn’t say no to anyone as we all knew this may be the last Christmas any of us may be at home. We laughed, sang when we couldn’t get a rock radio station, ate to many hamburgers, fries and yes beers and told too many funny stories. Two of the guys didn’t make it home after that and the rest of us still talk to each other and remember that trip. 

Merry Christmas ? 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

I was in the Army in 67 stationed at FT Belvoir VA just outside DC. I had just gotten orders to go across the pond in Jan. I had my 62 Thunderbird on base and was going to head home for Christmas leave. It started snowing the day before and a bunch of guys had their flights cancelled and asked if I had room to get to Chicago. Six of us and our duffel bags packed in the tied closed trunk of that four seater Tbird for a 500 mile blizzard conditions drive. I think the only reason we made the 17 hour trip was the weight in the car kept it from sliding off the road. I just couldn’t say no to anyone as we all knew this may be the last Christmas any of us may be at home. We laughed, sang when we couldn’t get a rock radio station, ate to many hamburgers, fries and yes beers and told too many funny stories. Two of the guys didn’t make it home after that and the rest of us still talk to each other and remember that trip. 

Merry Christmas ? 

Thank you for your service, Merry Christmas!

These are great, uplifting stories. I"m not sure which old-car-Christmas story I like best, but here is one of my favorites. 

My dad and I worked every day for 14 months in late 1969 and early 1970 (I was 15) restoring a basket-case Model Ford pickup truck. He had always dreamed of driving one like that to work every day. When it was finished, everyone congratulated us on a beautiful job, but pointed out that it would not be practical to drive in winter. Dad just smiled in cheerful disagreement. No one believed he would really drive it in bitter cold weather, and especially not in the snow. But he did. My first photo shows the truck across the street from our house, with my little brother standing next to his snowman that year. 

But many of our AACA friends from the Southern Ohio Chapter had never seen the Model A out in winter weather for themselves. Then sometime in December of 1970 we got a deep snowfall overnight, and Mom got the idea to get photos for Christmas cards. We took the truck over to our friends' home, who had a scenic backyard with the snow not-yet disturbed, and asked them to photo our family with the car in our old costume raccoon coats. The photos turned out great, and we got lots of reactions from family and friends to our Christmas cards that year! 

I'm the teenager with no hat in the photos. Notice I am behind the wheel in the 3rd photo. I had just gotten my driver's license, and my very-strict, very-cautious Dad didn't let me drive very often. But I eventually got to drive the Model A truck a few times. It made me proud just to pose for this photo. 

Model A with Ralphie and Snowman.jpg

Christmas card pose .jpg

Christmas card pose 2.jpg

• Like 2

From a few years ago: (still have 2 of them).

whitechristmas.jpg

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

My brother and myself talked my Dad into a model A to restore,He was retired,and not well.He always said,he had all the tools to do it. Most the restoration was at Dads house,but my brother drove it to his house Christmas day ,snowy icey,right in the middle of the yard.That was over 20 years ago,still have the car,still a first place car.Never will forget it.If he could only see what he started by taking us to old car shows,when they were old

• Like 1

In November 1951 my brother,  who was stationed at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma wrote that he was bringing me something when he came home on Christmas leave.

Since I had been tinkering with radios I thought it would something radio related. WAS I EVER SURPRISED!  It was a 1931 LaSalle 5 pass coupe. He had driven it 1300 miles nonstop

with help from 2 other boys.  It was a 1 owner car (an MD).  He was 83 years old.

I am now the second owner of a car that is 86 years old. It earned its Senior award in 1974.

The result of this gift is me sitting here doing this post.

PS   I am not suggesting that you should give an old car to someone if he will join the AACA!! 

If you do: give it to one who does not have grey hair! We have too much now!P1000788.thumb.JPG.862e62a090d993bd07fd95eede3fbd46.JPG

Edited by Willie Wurke
to correct spelling errors (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Not exactly car related but in a way it is. I woke up one Christmas morning in probably 1954 or '55 and received an aerial ladder, tiller, fire truck. Stamped and cast steel. When I see the antique toy people at Hershey, I see the same truck for what I paid for my first car. One of these day's I am going to over come my willpower and just purchase it. I'm a big kid anyhow!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

Not exactly car related but in a way it is. I woke up one Christmas morning in probably 1954 or '55 and received an aerial ladder, tiller, fire truck. Stamped and cast steel. When I see the antique toy people at Hershey, I see the same truck for what I paid for my first car. One of these day's I am going to over come my willpower and just purchase it. I'm a big kid anyhow!

Did the apparatus in question look like this?

20085527_1_x.jpg

All Christmas Days are good when you have the family around !  When I was in Vietman  A town in the mid west made up large containers with our Christmas dinner , shipped it to us [about 1500 GI s } . I often think about that town some where that did that for use and didn't even know us . I still have the menu  that they Printed up for the meal . Merry Christmas to all. to our service MEN AND WOMEN  serving around the world  Thank You     Kings32

• Like 2

It is that time of year again... better think about starting your Christmas shopping only a few days left.

09cad10.jpg

I remember getting some trucks and cars at Christmas when I was really young....the start of my ailment....I am the one on the right....

Picture 1197.jpg

While most kids asked for train sets for Christmas I asked for the new replacement for a train set, the slot car race toy.  I remember playing with that every waking moment until we finally had to take it down after Christmas.  How impressive was it, well 55 years later I still have it.  The track is corroded from poor storage but the cars are still very presentable.

D15E6692-F0D0-4115-A34D-5AEF4129E824.jpeg

• Like 1