1913 METZ HOOD

Guest STEVEKR2000

Guest STEVEKR2000

I'M LOOKING FOR A HOOD FOR A 1913 METZ ROADSTER.  MINE WAS LOST BY THE SHIPPER DURING TRANSPORT TO ME.  PHOTO BELOW IS CAR BEFORE SHIPPING.

L.jpg

Edited by STEVEKR2000
To clarify (see edit history)

Guest STEVEKR2000

Thanks for all the replies.  Joe in Canada was correct.  The vehicle was being moved to a holding facility to be shipped in an enclosed transport.  The idiot who picked up the car unlatched the hood to look at the engine.  He mush not have re-latched the hood!  He loaded the car on the rear of a long open transport with the front end tilted upwards (see photo).  When he arrived at the holding facility, the hood was gone.  He took possession of the vehicle at around 1:30 PM.  I insured the car at 11:00 AM with Hagerty and they have been great.  Turned out the transported had not paid his insurance premium so he was uninsured.  To add insult to injury, the SOB left the Metz out in a heavy rain storm uncovered for 4 days, causing the finger joints on the wood steering wheel to swell open.

I was lucky enough to find Rootlieb in early October and I placed an order with them on October 12th.  They received the patterns that I created on October 14th and I was given a 4 - 6 week completion date.  When I spoke with them this week, 9 weeks after they received everything they needed to make a replacement hood, I was told that they had not started and that they would be closed for the next two weeks for the holidays.  That will put us at 12 -13 weeks at the best.  So I thought there was no harm continuing to look for an original hood, even though I very seriously doubt I will find one.

So there you have it.

Steve

DSC02899.jpg

Well, Steve, Congratulations, I think, and good luck. I do hope the rest of your time as caretaker for the car goes better! I have long had a fondness for the Metz cars, and followed it for sale for awhile. I had not heard who bought it, however, the grapevine said it had sold. I don't have a hood to offer, just my well wishes that you and the car can have many good years and tours together. I have never driven one (my pile is in really poor condition, but, maybe, if I live long enough?). Metz owners I have talked with over the years tell me they are fun and fast reliable cars.

I hope you enjoy this car immensely! 

Sorry to disagree with you but .....

Anytime you transpot a vehicle - it should be with who is doing the work that you can talk on the phone with.

That person should pick up your car & deliver it direct without transfer in an enclosed trailer.

The hauler who took it to the transport hub was doing their job - it is up to the Buyer and/or Seller to make sure 

that parts are secured to a vehicle if it is being loaded on an open trailer ...

You get what you pay for - sometimes you don't like what you get .....

Jim

IMG_6352.JPG

IMG_6388.JPG

IMG_6586.JPG

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

I used a U-Haul open car transporter to haul my 1924 Peugeot about 50 miles. I secured everything on the car. When I arrived, the starting crank was missing. It dropped out through the open center of the trailer and onto the PA Turnpike. I actually called the Turnpike, and they said they would look for it. Bottom line: you can never guarantee an open trailer will get 100% of the car there. My advice: stretch-wrap the whole vehicle!

Phil

Edited by MochetVelo (see edit history)

Guest STEVEKR2000

Hi Jim, I agree.  The seller should have paid more attention when the car was loaded to make sure everything was properly secured.  The transporter actually did try by removing the seat cushion and all the lights.  He just forgot to relatch the hood after he opened it to take a look.  The shipper was recommended to me by another local shipper.  Turned out to be a very bad recommendation.  Was supposed to be enclosed.