midman

AACA Museum & AACA, What is Going On

1 hour ago, 32tatra said:

I just received my letter from the AACA.  I think the "urgent" on the envelope was a good idea.  It made me open it right away and read it.   I have lost count of the number of times that my local club, has sent out its newsletter  with info about a upcoming show or event, only to have members, who throw it in the corner and do not read it until after the event and miss it!

A another point, that a number of member have made is that we found out about this issue, after its is all over and done.  The Board has known about this issue for a number of years and keep us members in the dark.  So members who have given money and or cars to the museum, in the past few years are upset and rightly so.   Over the past number of year I have spent a  good sum of money buying things at the museum  auction, held each year at the meet in Philly.  Had I known about this issue, I would have brought nothing and spent more at the library tag sale! 

What brothers me, is why is the board so secretive, about things?  Why were we not told about these negotiations, years ago?  Then the membership would not have been blindsided my this letter.

This is negotiations about a auto museum, not " Salt Two" treaty talks about  nuclear weapons! 

Both the letter and posting  here, from board members, have made a point about the Library and Research Center and how much it has grown. Now it needs a bigger building.  The board wants to build a new building.  With the cost of building and zoning laws  and land.  This new building will cost million of dollars to build.  

How does the board plan to pay for this?  Are they going to tell us? Are we the members going to have any input into this?  Or is this going to be more secret meeting.  With the membership not know what is going on until its too late. 

The Board of Directors, get paid no money for what they do.  For that I respect them.  But why are their meeting so secret?  Steve said that they tape all of their meetings.  Do they not trust each other?  A number of people, have said that the Board has our best interests at heart.

Maybe if they told us what some of these interests are, we the members could take some of the load off of their hearts!

Here's my prediction.............AACA management will clam up and stonewall the issue, as they always do..................Bob

• Like 1

• Hi I'm jumping in for the first time but have been following and contributing to the Blog on Hemmings about this subject. Here is what I want to mention here.

I learned that the Museum offered, at no cost to the Club, 3 Acres of land next to the AACA Museum 3 months ago, as a sight for a new HQ, Library and Research Center. 

Doesn’t it seem that under the current situation, that if the offer still stands, why not accept the Land offer and start planning the move to the Property next to the Museum?

The new HQ, Library and Research Center next to the Museum, and where AACA Hershey Region’s Club building already exists, would form a huge Campus environment that sounds fantastic.

The other issues should be secondary and addressed later, or it will be difficult to move forward with resolving the original problem, which is the Headquarters, Library and Research Center are out of room needs to move.  The original AACA HQ Building looks to be a valuable asset and if sold could pay towards the cost of the new Building.

Am I the only one seeing this opportunity?

Doug Novak, New Freedom, Pa.

Update:  the Land offer from the Museum to AACA National was not "for free" in that there were monetary conditions attached to the offer that AACA would have to agree to.

•  

1. HQ,  months ago
Edited by Doug Novak
correction (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I had received the letter from the club yesterday, The day before I received a letter from the museum announcing their "annual appeal" looking for donations. I have donated in the past so I presumed I was on their mailing list. I did think it was odd, because I did not recall receiving such a letter in the past. 

It was URGENT that the club sent the letter out because I was going to write my annual check this weekend, and i commend the club for contacting me informing me of the developments. As I am looking at the papers sent by the museum now, on the donation envelope it says "Thank-you for your support of the Antique Automobile Club of America Museum" It is a little misleading by the museum and I feel really out and out dishonest. They made no mention of the departure and gave the impression that everything was normal just to get a donation.

I would like to thank the BOD of the AACA for informing me about the change in status between the club and the museum by an official communication through the mail. From reading some of the posts on this thread it seems like some of the posters fail to realize that the forum is not the official communication to the membership, and really in fact only a small percentage of members participate or even read the forum. 

• Like 5

I've always thought the AACA Library was a useful tool and worthwhile part of AACA. The AACA Museum was a money pit from the start, based on egos NOT passion. Pick the top six automotive museums, they were all started by one guy who could fund them, and LOVED every car in the collection. I never understood the need for the AACA Museum, and never set foot in the place. With the split will the "Donation" request that is part of the Hershey Fall Meet see one for the LIBRARY and one for the Museum on the hill? I never made a donation  because half would be taken from the Library, and squandered on something I couldn't care less about. Bob

It seems there is a very generous helping of "benefit of the doubt" being given to the Club when surely there are multiple sides to a story that evolved over a period of years.  The irony to the benefit being given is that the same people saying they were "misled" are now basing their colorful opinions on statements provided by the people they say misled them.  

2 minutes ago, midman said:

As was mentioned more than a few times there are two sides to every story. 

Our director mentioned that "it would take a book" to go over all the of the issues that have been a part of this decision but I can't believe that there were still that many issues unresolved after 4 years of negotiations.

Steve also stated "All of this issue has transpired over a 4 1/2 year period where the club tried to build a new facility on the museum property and failed to get approval." Who's approval did we not get, the townships for building purposes or one of the boards?

So my guestions are what were the final issues that could not be resolved from the clubs point of view, and if any museum board members are reading this blog what are the issues that could not be settled from the museums point of view.

A forum is not the place to settle anything, but as an AACA member, a contributor to the library,  and a volunteer at the museum I would at least like to know the respective positions that brought things to this point.

The merger may be a lost cause but I think we deserve to at least know what went wrong so we as members of AACA or supporters of the museum can make future decisions on who and what we want to support moving forward.

Chuck Hoffman

• Like 2

Wagons circled. Heads down. Blinders on. ............The only sound is of crickets.

My next prediction..... "The board members are volunteers and are  way too busy to respond to, or even read, forum comments. I suggest you put your comments in a letter to the board. We really appreciate and seriously consider all letters"................................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Doug Novak said:
        • Hi I'm jumping in for the first time but have been following and contributing to the Blog on Hemmings about this subject. Here is what I want to mention here.

I learned that the Museum offered, at no cost to the Club, 3 Acres of land next to the AACA Museum 3 months ago, as a sight for a new HQ, Library and Research Center. 

Doesn’t it seem that under the current situation, that if the offer still stands, why not accept the Land offer and start planning the move to the Property next to the Museum?

The new HQ, Library and Research Center next to the Museum, and where AACA Hershey Region’s Club building already exists, would form a huge Campus environment that sounds fantastic.

The other issues should be secondary and addressed later, or it will be difficult to move forward with resolving the original problem, which is the Headquarters, Library and Research Center are out of room needs to move.  The original AACA HQ Building looks to be a valuable asset and if sold could pay towards the cost of the new Building.

Am I the only one seeing this opportunity?

Doug Novak, New Freedom, Pa.

•  

1. HQ,  months ago

Who would own the land with the new building on it?  Would the land be severed or under the control of the Museum? You would not want to put a new building up a competitor's property and then loose it 10 years from now. Lots of questions.

I just my letter too and am sad to hear about this. BUT, as a member to the AACA, I am backing the AACA and Steve 100%. Their hearts are in the right place and will do whats best for the club as a whole. Sometimes decisions have to be made that are painful but have to be made anyway. I will stil go to the museum if it stays open.

I applaud you, Steve and back you 100%

Edited by topblissgt (see edit history)

I have not read all the posts so I apologize for not answering everyone.  My personal opinion is that life in AACA goes on.  The Museum has said they will continue to honor free entry to the museum by AACA members and that in small part recognizes the HUGE contribution to the museum by the club.  So to our members, nothing much changes except that most likely the only fund raising we will be seeking in the future  will be for a larger domicile for the club and library. Our magazine will still come to you, our meets and tours and all the other things will go on.

The museum has stated publicly that they will be fine without our contribution so that is good news for them.  A great museum will continue to thrive and hopefully recognize the importance of saving automotive history.

Believe me, I know most of the story here and am frustrated so I can understand much of the concern everyone has and the fact that people do not know the complete story.  Plus there is a lot of miss-information out there.  Take for instance, the comment in Hemmings that the museum offered us "free" land (3 acres) to build a new headquarters/library. Correct BUT in exchange for that they wanted us to have a capital campaign to raise money for our building and SPLIT it with them.  So, if it would for instance cost 4 million for a new bldg. they would expect us to raise 8 million and give them 4 million for a piece of property that they have set at a million dollars (330,000 an acre).  So free is not exactly free. I am not trying to criticize anyone...just getting facts out as in the end you have to make your decisions based upon knowledge.

As to the BOD not informing everyone earlier I can only question why would they do this?  Any donor or person who has ever asked the question whether we were one organization has ben told the truth to my knowledge.  Certainly be me and our staff when we got calls from donors.  For years, people at the museum told guests that they were not a part of AACA.  There was no need to publicize the trials and tribulations trying to get a deal done when no one knew the final outcome.  The club has always been hopeful that a compromise could be found and twice since Hershey agreed to meet again based on requests from a major contributor and two past presidents.  Those meetings never took place.  I am sure some museum board members were also hopeful of a settlement.  To heavily publicize our negotiations would have served no good purpose especially if we had come to an agreement.  We would have needlessly upset people at the time.  The fact that we failed is the final story.  Maybe in the future there will be an epilogue and a common sense approach will be taken. 

The AACA board will tell everyone more about this issue in the next printing of Antique Automobile.  Hopefully, people will understand more. AACA did merge with the library in 2006 and so there are no other changes to us.  The simple change that took place here is that we are not supporting the museum anymore and will be working on our own needs exclusively versus giving members money away to an entity that we have no legal interest in.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Take for instance, the comment in Hemmings that the museum offered us "free" land (3 acres) to build a new headquarters/library. Correct BUT in exchange for that they wanted us to have a capital campaign to raise money for our building and SPLIT it with them.  So, if it would for instance cost 4 million for a new bldg. they would expect us to raise 8 million and give them 4 million for a piece of property that they have set at a million dollars (330,000 an acre).  So free is not exactly free. I am not trying to criticizing anyone...just getting facts out as in the end you have to make your decisions based upon knowledge.

I for one due hope that Hemming's will correct their righting's and publicize in the same manner as their original article. Some of their righting's points put the club in a harsh light.   

• Like 2

Thanks Steve,

I could never word it like you, but the AACA Board does appreciate your response!

Wayne

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, R W Burgess said:

Thanks Steve,

I could never word it like you, but the AACA Board does appreciate your response!

Wayne

I probably could have, but it would have been stronger.  Get my dander up and I'm little like Donald Trump in the way I respond.  So, I try to keep my dander from getting up.  It's up now, so I'll let Steve do the talking.  Good job Steve.

33 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

The AACA board will tell everyone more about this issue in the next printing of Antique Automobile.  Hopefully, people will understand more. AACA did merge with the library in 2006 and so there are no other changes to us.  The simple change that took place here is that we are no supporting the museum anymore and will be working on our own needs exclusively versus giving members money away to an entity that we have no legal interest in.

Thank you for poking your head up, Steve. I'm very much hoping the coming article is written in a forthright manner. I for one am not interested in assigning blame for past events but would be most interested in what exactly was  the rational for and the amount of funds the club "contributed" to the museum and an outline of what went wrong.

I'm guessing, at this point, the membership expects, and deserves, a factual post mortem rather than an amorphous  general info type article.

I've often been a critic of the club's seeming opaqueness. Prove me wrong..............Bob Beck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe in Canada said:

I for one due hope that Hemming's will correct their righting's and publicize in the same manner as their original article. Some of their righting's points put the club in a harsh light.   

I went back into the Hemmings Forum and added the information that the Land offer from the Museum to AACA National was not "for free" in that there were monetary conditions attached to the offer that AACA would have to agree to.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bhigdog said:

Thank you for poking your head up, Steve. I'm very much hoping the coming article is written in a forthright manner. I for one am not interested in assigning blame for past events but would be most interested in what exactly was  the rational for and the amount of funds the club "contributed" to the museum and an outline of what went wrong.

I'm guessing, at this point, the membership expects, and deserves, a factual post mortem rather than an amorphous  general info type article.

I've often been a critic of the club's seeming opaqueness. Prove me wrong..............Bob Beck

Bob, I think I have tried to prove you wrong many times over the years! :D  Not sure I won any of those battles but without airing dirty laundry or personal opinions I am hopeful that the board can outline things further.  Now, I am going home to sit down in my office and finish a project of cataloging my literature.  Tomorrow I need therapy in the garage and get my fingers dirty and maybe even bloody!!

• Like 1

The decision has been made, so it is time to move forward.  Perhaps we should offer suggestions for the new facilities... 

I think somewhere near or on the Hershey Park swap meet grounds would be a great location for the HCCA HQ & Library. 

Bhigdog said " Here's my prediction.............AACA management will clam up and stonewall the issue, as they always do..................Bob "

Sticking one's head in the sand is one thing. I would like to know if AJFord54's post of his published letter to Hemmings was voluntarily removed by him or censored by the moderators of this forum. Stonewalling is one thing, censorship is quite another. I daresay many of us had already seen it in Hemmings and since it was published little would be gained by its removal.

26 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Not sure I won any of those battles

I'm not sure I did either but at least I tried.

29 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

without airing dirty laundry or personal opinions I am hopeful that the board can outline things further

I don't think naming names or assigning blame is necessary or even desirable but the AACA board does owe the membership a candid and lucid accounting of the why's and how's things went so wrong. It appears now that member's monies and efforts weren't used wisely or to their benefit. That may not be the case and now is the board's chance to explain their thinking and rational. It's likely that not everyone will agree with the board's decisions but it's just as likely that if the board is upfront the membership will at least be understanding. Obfuscating at this point will only make things worse.

46 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Tomorrow I need therapy in the garage and get my fingers dirty and maybe even bloody!!

I might also recommend an adult beverage and some female comfort. Usually works for me. Peace...................Bob Beck

Now how does the Museum get away with printing on the donation envelope (I received in the mail 72 hours ago) "Thank-you for your support of the Antique Automobile Club of America Museum"  ?

Lets get on the lighter side and move on. Here is my suggestion for the new AACA facility just north of Hershey forgot the name of town. Might be a little small though. Reminds me of the Model A museum at the Gilmore. 

2013-10-10 2013-10-11 001 017.JPG

2015-06-05 2015-06-06 001 125.JPG

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Joe in Canada said:

Lets get on the lighter side and move on. Here is my suggestion for the new AACA facility just north of Hershey forgot the name of town. Might be a little small though. Reminds me of the CL museum at the Gilmore. 

2013-10-10 2013-10-11 001 017.JPG

Hi Joe, - Great touring with you this past summer! ... and it looks like my Hudson would be "at home" in that building.

When you say "just north of Hershey", would that be farther north in the area of Toronto, Ontario ?

38 minutes ago, vermontboy said:

Sticking one's head in the sand is one thing. I would like to know if AJFord54's post of his published letter to Hemmings was voluntarily removed by him or censored by the moderators of this forum. Stonewalling is one thing, censorship is quite another. I daresay many of us had already seen it in Hemmings and since it was published little would be gained by its removal.

The Forum Moderators did not remove AJFord54's post. He has replied to note that he deleted his own posts in this discussion but I just want to repeat that the Moderators did not remove his posts to make sure you see it.

12 minutes ago, AJFord54 said:

After seeing my post censored and removed  by Hemings I personally removed all of my posts from this forum as well.  It is obvious to me that this subject is closed to opinions  and frankly a total waste of time - guess calling the museum board members "rats" wasn't acceptable.  Will leave this here for awhile so you can understand that I personally removed these forum posts.  All the best to friends that care about the AACA.

Thank you for noting that the AACA FORUM moderators DID NOT REMOVE, and DID NOT CENSOR your posts.