midman

AACA Museum & AACA, What is Going On

Oh why did I sign on here this morning?!

I've decided to accept and move on, (and it was a particularly difficult decision for me to do so.) That being said I really would not encourage writing harsh letters to the Museum folks now after the fact. Let's let it be! The decision has been made and the two groups will go on with their separate plans. We don't need to play Hatfields and McCoys fussing and throwing stones at each other anymore. No one gets anything out of that.

Let's PLEASE put all that effort into our Club and Library, meets and tours.

• Like 4

Steve I agree with what you 100%. We're still Posting a lot about the Museum, all negative understandably. The good thing is we see now that a merger is, and never was going to be possible due to lack of mutual support from those running the Museum. There's a lot of "stirring the pot" on this subject which is a distraction to us looking forward to the new direction the AACA Club is partaking in for the good of our Club. The best position I believe to take with the Museum is to just ignore them for now and hope time will change things for the better.

Edited by Doug Novak (see edit history)
  • Like 2

All of this is just another reason I stay out of most club activities. About 20 years ago when I was very active in our local region - including serving as Co-Chair of the 1996 Grand National, Ron Barnett approached me about considering getting involved at the national level and maybe one day running for the AACA Board.  While I appreciated his confidence in me, my response was "I really have too much fun in the hobby to ruin it by being involved in club politics".    The best way for me to get out of a national club is to see all the dirty laundry of club politics being aired and potentially tearing clubs apart.  I know club politics happens but I like it better when it is kept behind the scenes.  (I did go against my own rules and became a national board member in a single marque club and after seeing the politics, I left the board and the club and am no longer a member of either so I should have listened to my own advice LOL)

Having said that - I guess I fail to see that what happens between AACA national and the museum affects me personally.  I support the AACA by being a member, and to be honest, other than the one visit I took to the museum, it has no real benefit to me that I can see.  I see no benefit to writing the museum board members and telling them my thoughts because I doubt they really care.  We elect a AACA Board and I figure they are more "in the know" to make the right decision(s) than me as an average member.  If I ever get tot he point where I truly disagree with what the board decides, I can always quit paying my dues and not worry about it any longer LOL

• Like 2

Everyone has to do what they feel is best. Personally, I think that, as someone who has contributed to the museum in the past, I need to let the museum board know that I disagree with their recent actions. Hopefully, the museum board will quickly realize that a majority of their previous contributors wish them to return to their previous cooperative attitude towards the club. I think that the majority of their contributors are members of the club. Their recent change of direction towards an adversarial position with the club is going to cause them to lose donations. If they realize the feelings of their prior contributors, perhaps it will help them correct their recent actions quickly to return to a cooperative working relationship with the club sooner rather than later.  

2 hours ago, MCHinson said:

return to a cooperative working relationship with the club sooner rather than later.  

Seems to me it was a one way street. Our funds, contributions, and labor all flowed to the museum and we got free admission in return............ Duh!

As my mother used to say "We got the chicken, they got the cow."................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

In todays mail, I received a three page, double sided letter from the AACA Museum explaining their side of the issue. I'm sure all members will get one. Quite frankly at this point, I have know idea who to believe. Can't we get an arbitrator or something and kiss and makeup.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

In todays mail, I received a three page, double sided letter from the AACA Museum explaining their side of the issue. I'm sure all members will get one. Quite frankly at this point, I have know idea who to believe. Can't we get an arbitrator or something and kiss and makeup.

Apparently your letter took a bit longer to arrive than most. If you will read all of the posts in this discussion you will find explanations refuting the incorrect information contained in that letter. The museum board was not interested in arbitration. 

I joined the AACA in 2003 after I retired and had more time to attend auto shows.  I have always thought the museum was run by the club and I never had any reason to believe otherwise.  Then things hit the fan and I discover I was wrong.  So now we have cut our ties and moved on.  I'm OK with that.  What I don't like is that the museum calls itself the AACA Museum.  That is so wrong.  I think they need to come up with a new name.  Does the club have a copyright for the AACA name?  If so, it should be a simple matter to require them to stop using our name.  That way, new members coming on board the club will not be mislead as I was. 

• Like 1

I never received the Museum letter so guess they are not interested in appealing to me LOL - I'm okay with that

I too have not received the Museum letter, but many of my friends have.  Over the years I have participated in their annual Museum Show, volunteered and assisted with preparation of some of the cars and exhibits prior to the Museum opening, bought tickets for the Corvette raffles and donated money.  Living only 32 miles from there I visit it a few times each year.  Perhaps I have not received the letter because they are sending them out in alphabetical order or know my loyalties are with the club.  

Eric, I received my letter from the Museum on Friday, January 27,  My last name begins with T and I live on the Left Coast--both of which means that I receive many mailings late.  I noted that the letter was sent via non-profit organization postage (less than first class), i.e., non=profit junk mail--which will further delay delivery.

Bob Hill, I have no idea why YOURS is so late!

• Like 1

Got mine over a week ago, is in the recycling.

22 minutes ago, padgett said:

Got mine over a week ago, is in the recycling.

Went through the shredder

• Like 1

My impression is most just don't like the idea of being used......................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Do not care about the museum since 900 miles away. Getting the library scanned and online so available to any member now...

I want the museum to succeed but if faced with a choice between the Museum and the Club I will side with the club.

• Like 5

I'm just going to ignore the Museum until our new Library and Headquarters is opened. Kinda feel like we've been through a family divorce between Club and Museum, but there's children affected by it.......the Old Cars, our kids. 

Edited by Doug Novak (see edit history)
  • Like 1

As long as they continue to use "AACA" as a part of their name I could care less whether they succeed or not. Legalities aside it is in extremely poor taste.

I bought a raffle ticket on a car at a Buzzy meeting last summer from Marty that I believe was drawn at Hershey. Was that fund raiser for the museum or the club. If it was for the museum it will be my last dollar going there. 

46 minutes ago, Joe in Canada said:

I bought a raffle ticket on a car at a Buzzy meeting last summer from Marty that I believe was drawn at Hershey. Was that fund raiser for the museum or the club. If it was for the museum it will be my last dollar going there. 

It was a shared fund raiser!

4 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

Joe, 

At that time we were still doing joint fund raising for the Library and the Museum. Also at at that time our negotiations were proceeding.

It was always our wish for both organizations to succeed, and for both organizations to benefit our members.

I still wish success to the Museum, but my loyalty at this time is to OUR AACA CLUB and OUR AACA LIBRARY.

5 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Joe, 

At that time we were still doing joint fund raising for the Library and the Museum. Also at at that time our negotiations were proceeding.

It was always our wish for both organizations to succeed, and for both organizations to benefit our members.

I still wish success to the Museum, but my loyalty at this time is to OUR AACA CLUB and OUR AACA LIBRARY.

Glad to here that as it shows the club was cooperating with the museum to the end. Thanks Marty.

• Like 1