AACA Museum & AACA, What is Going On

midman

3 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

...I think both sides for quite some time felt we would find a solution as we did have an idea that was supported by all but unfortunately our legal counsel advised against it.  The club understood the reasons...

I'll say upfront I have not been an AACA member for several years and am thus not entitled to any explanation on this. Still, I'm curious, and I'll wager many current AACA members on this forum are curious as well...

What was this "idea that was supported by all" and on what grounds did "legal counsel advise(d) against it"?

Edited by Chris Bamford (see edit history)

I'd be curious too about the "idea supported by all", and how it was legally a liability.

This thread is being discussed on the Model T Ford Club of America (MTFCA) forum.  They have a museum, and the club owns it, lock stock and barrel.  Guess lawyers don't care as much about Model T's.

The Pierce Arrow Society and the Pierce Museum at Gilmore are, I believe, separate entities also, the difference is that the people who run the museum are avid Pierce Arrow Society members, so they know that what's good for one is good for the other...

Sorry that these problems exist.  I received a letter from the Museum yesterday for a donation before year end!!  I know that they need contributions all the time, but this was ironic.  I was at the" Night at the Museum" during the Hershey meet in October and bought an electric train at the silent auction.  Brought it home with me and did not open the box until 2 weeks later, only to find that there was only one of the 5 cars and just 2 pieces of track in the box!!!  Don't know!!  There must be problems somewhere .  Hope things can be smoothed out somehow.   Coalter Paxton 

I love the Antique Automobile Club of America.  I believe in the mission, I enjoy the events and publications, and I have used the library.  I will continue to be a member and supporter.

I love the AACA Museum.  It is a great facility, has wonderful exhibits, and is fun to visit.  I will continue to be a visitor and supporter.

Both seem to be well-managed and thriving.  I have difficulty seeing any downside here.

• Like 6

The museum is a great tool to attract people to the hobby and the efforts of the AACA to keep interest in the history of the automobile alive for future generations. As both seem to be going their separate ways it does not seem like a winning decision for either group.  I sincerely hope this matter can be re-addressed in the future to see if there is a mutually agreeable way to keep the relationship alive.

Terry

• Like 2

I received my letter from the board regarding this issue today.

From my personal perspective, it appears that over decades the AACA Board of Directors have operated under the belief that the Museum would eventually merge with the club. The Library's success has brought the club to the point that a bigger building for the club is a necessity and can't be delayed much longer. The current board was ready to wrap up a merger in order to facilitate an efficient building plan to bring everything together on one campus. Over the years, the Museum Board has apparently grown a bit further removed from the early museum days when all of the board members were very active in the club.

The club's board of directors is obviously disappointed that they could not bring it all together but, since it is clear that it is time to move forward with the needed building, I think it is appropriate that they decided to make the membership aware of this decision. It has never been a secret that the Museum was a separate legal entity. It made sense to create it as a separate entity at the time. Now, it would be nice if both organizations could be merged but it does not presently look like this is going to be possible. The only criticism that I would have of the board's notice would be the red "Urgent" label on the envelope containing the letter to the membership. I guess it certainly made people pay attention, but I think it made people a bit more upset than necessary. There is nothing that "Urgent", in my opinion, about the fact that the club is no longer going to be subsidizing the Museum by about $1.50 per club member per year.

I am sure that the Museum will survive and the club will certainly survive. Hopefully there will be a chance to consider a merger again in the future, if it is in the best long term interest of both organizations. Unfortunately, it looks like getting it all together in one location is not going to be possible. There has always been a bit of confusion about AACA, the AACA Museum, and the Hershey Region. Lots of people think of AACA as "Hershey" and fail to understand the differences in all of the different entities that all work to further the hobby in their own way.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

From my personal perspective, it appears that over decades the AACA Board of Directors have operated under the belief that the Museum would eventually merge with the club. The Library's success has brought the club to the point that a bigger building for the club is a necessity and can't be delayed much longer. The current board was ready to wrap up a merger in order to facilitate an efficient building plan to bring everything together on one campus. Over the years, the Museum Board has apparently grown a bit further removed from the early museum days when all of the board members were very active in the club.

The club's board of directors is obviously disappointed that they could not bring it all together but, since it is clear that it is time to move forward with the needed building, I think it is appropriate that they decided to make the membership aware of this decision. It has never been a secret that the Museum was a separate legal entity. It made sense to create it as a separate entity at the time. Now, it would be nice if both organizations could be merged but it does not presently look like this is going to be possible. The only criticism that I would have of the board's notice would be the red "Urgent" label on the envelope containing the letter to the membership. I guess it certainly made people pay attention, but I think it made people a bit more upset than necessary. There is nothing that "Urgent", in my opinion, about the fact that the club is no longer going to be subsidizing the Museum by about $1.50 per club member per year.

I am sure that the Museum will survive and the club will certainly survive. Hopefully there will be a chance to consider a merger again in the future, if it is in the best long term interest of both organizations. Unfortunately, it looks like getting it all together in one location is not going to be possible. There has always been a bit of confusion about AACA, the AACA Museum, and the Hershey Region. Lots of people think of AACA as "Hershey" and fail to understand the differences in all of the different entities that all work to further the hobby in their own way.  

In my opinion, this is the best explanation and seems to answer all of the questions, in one neat nutshell.

• Like 8

Been a little busy but just read all of this - then I passed out  - now I'm back again. I knew a little bit about some of this but was hoping for the best. (Still am, hoping for the best that is.)

A dear old car friend told me once the secret to a long and happy life is patience. So I am going to be patient and see what happens next. Like "AKSTRAW" above I truly love AACA and the AACA Museum and I have been a club member for a pretty long time. My experiences with both are among the best of my life.

I'd be both duty-bound and happy to help with anything I can with regard to this situation. You might want to think about what YOU can do to help too!

4 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Our local radio station calls the museum, 

in understandable shorthand, the

"Antique Auto Museum at Hershey." 

That doesn't necessarily make it so.  I would hope somebody at the home office would verify whether on not they were granted the use of just "AACA" or "Antique Automobile Club of America Museum. I was there, and Jim Raines was President, but I'm 78 years old now.  I may not be perfect in my memory any longer.  But, I recall it was to be use only of "AACA" that was granted.  That paperwork was 14 years ago.

Matt, your comment was quite well written.

Now, one thing that hasn't been discussed, why was it felt a letter to each member was necessary?  Didn't this cost tens of thousands of dollars in printing, handling, postage?  Why not just post it on this forum, and write an article in the magazine (as has been done for next issue)?  Everyone would have known soon enough that way.......

Seems like an "Urgent" waste of money, for something that's been going on for years.........

15 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Matt, your comment was quite well written.

Now, one thing that hasn't been discussed, why was it felt a letter to each member was necessary?  Didn't this cost tens of thousands of dollars in printing, handling, postage?  Why not just post it on this forum, and write an article in the magazine (as has been done for next issue)?  Everyone would have known soon enough that way.......

Seems like an "Urgent" waste of money, for something that's been going on for years.........

David,

Maybe with the information provided in the letter, as to the distinction between the club and library, and the museum, people might have a better understanding regarding their potential year-end donations.

We certainly encourage charitable donations with the full knowledge of which entity will benefit from your generosity, be it the museum, the AACA Library, or our AACA club. I'm here for the love of the hobby, and hope that most others are, as well - and know that, for the almost forty years we've been friends, you are also. Thanks for your continued support of the hobby, and for all the help you've provided over the years.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Marty, I guess the year-end issue does make sense, a lot of people contribute late in the year to good causes. 

I've not received the letter, so can't speak to content.

I've progressed from the cars meaning everything, to the people who love the cars meaning everything, and of course you're in that group....and I'll try not to tell too many people, Marty, about the strange cars you used to own (although, in retrospect, seeing the Citroen did make us talk to each other at the Bassham's, correct?).  Whoops, I mentioned the cars...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCHinson said:

...Hopefully there will be a chance to consider a merger again in the future, if it is in the best long term interest of both organizations. Unfortunately, it looks like getting it all together in one location is not going to be possible. ...

Here's another idea.  If everyone hopes the 

organization can come together in the future,

why not buy an EXISTING building for the

office and the library, rather than building NEW.

Minor or major renovations to an existing building

will save members money--it's much less expensive

than building new.  There shouldn't be a rush to spend

millions more of members' dollars, or to take out big new loans.

And there are certainly a number of good commercial buildings

that are, or will be, for sale in the area.  Then, keep working toward

reconciliation with the museum--and possibly build

on that ground in future years.

Combining wisdom and economy will serve our club well.

The physical separation won't be as cast in stone,

and the club will save money as well.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

John,

I don't have any reason to believe that a decision to buy land to build a new building versus buying an existing facility has been made. The only thing that I have heard is that additional expansion and renovation of the existing HQ and Library building has been deemed not a practical economical solution. I have faith that the board will make the right decision for the future of the club. I am sure that more information will be forthcoming in the not too distant future.

33 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

why not buy an EXISTING building for the

office and the library, rather than building NEW.

Yes! There are plenty of building of automotive interest surviving as well that would really be neat to preserve with a continued automotive intent. From old dealerships, to factories and assembly plants. Also if purchased at the right time of year, some properties can be purchased at greatly reduced prices to be used as tax write offs, on top of portions simply given as a donation.

When trying to convert an exsisting building today, you can spend as much as 80 percent of the cost of a purpose built new one. Energy codes, parking requirements, utilities, Americans With Disiablitys Act, zoning, layout, the list is endless, sad fact is that tearing down perfectly good buildings that have many years of use is a economic reality. Remember this new building is going to house the Library, temperature and humidity control, UV lighting issues, fireproof vault, wheel chair access, you name it........the list is endless, a new building is the way to go, and in the long run, a better value.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

Marty, I guess the year-end issue does make sense, a lot of people contribute late in the year to good causes. 

I've not received the letter, so can't speak to content.

I've progressed from the cars meaning everything, to the people who love the cars meaning everything, and of course you're in that group....and I'll try not to tell too many people, Marty, about the strange cars you used to own (although, in retrospect, seeing the Citroen did make us talk to each other at the Bassham's, correct?).  Whoops, I mentioned the cars...

Correctamundo!

For as long as I can recall, my tag-line for this great hobby has been:

The cars are just the VEHICLE,

for bringing the PEOPLE together.

• Like 4

As I sit here reading the Nov./ Dec. issue of the Antique Automobile, I see a thank you, on page 33, regarding the "Night at the Museum". It goes on to say "Thank you, The  AACA, AACA Library & Research Center and AACA Museum would like to thank........blah, blah blah." . It goes on to say "All proceeds benefit the AACA  "FAMILY": Club, Library and Museum. What the heck happened to the AACA family. Sounds more like "Family Feud" to me. I among others had no idea that they were separate entities. I have visited the museum many times and I honestly thought it was "OUR" (AACA Members) museum. Heck, we even have, (had) a Vice President on the Museum Board. I feel duped!

I just received my letter from the AACA.  I think the "urgent" on the envelope was a good idea.  It made me open it right away and read it.   I have lost count of the number of times that my local club, has sent out its newsletter  with info about a upcoming show or event, only to have members, who throw it in the corner and do not read it until after the event and miss it!

A another point, that a number of member have made is that we found out about this issue, after its is all over and done.  The Board has known about this issue for a number of years and keep us members in the dark.  So members who have given money and or cars to the museum, in the past few years are upset and rightly so.   Over the past number of year I have spent a  good sum of money buying things at the museum  auction, held each year at the meet in Philly.  Had I known about this issue, I would have brought nothing and spent more at the library tag sale! 

What brothers me, is why is the board so secretive, about things?  Why were we not told about these negotiations, years ago?  Then the membership would not have been blindsided my this letter.

This is negotiations about a auto museum, not " Salt Two" treaty talks about  nuclear weapons! 

Both the letter and posting  here, from board members, have made a point about the Library and Research Center and how much it has grown. Now it needs a bigger building.  The board wants to build a new building.  With the cost of building and zoning laws  and land.  This new building will cost million of dollars to build.  

How does the board plan to pay for this?  Are they going to tell us? Are we the members going to have any input into this?  Or is this going to be more secret meeting.  With the membership not know what is going on until its too late. 

The Board of Directors, get paid no money for what they do.  For that I respect them.  But why are their meeting so secret?  Steve said that they tape all of their meetings.  Do they not trust each other?  A number of people, have said that the Board has our best interests at heart.

Maybe if they told us what some of these interests are, we the members could take some of the load off of their hearts!

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

When trying to convert an existing building today, you can spend as much as 80 percent of the cost of a purpose built new one. ...

a new building is the way to go, and in the long run, a better value.

Steve M., quoted in the Hemmings article, stated,

"We chose the painful path of moving on alone as we need to

BUILD a new library and national headquarters."  [Emphasis added.]

That's why I inferred that our board hasn't been considering existing buildings.

In Pennsylvania, with a reasonable cost of living, I understand that an

existing building is NOT almost the cost of a new one.

Existing buildings can be good deals--like overlooked car models.

But you're right, Ed, some people think they must build anew, and that's why

historical buildings often tend to be destroyed and not preserved.

I speak as one in the building and engineering profession.

Completely gutting an existing building, installing new walls and finishes,

new electricity, HVAC, and plumbing, may cost $80 per square foot.

Such a cost may be for the likes of a suburban medical practice, which

includes numerous rooms and provision for a high-density filing system

as our library has, though the filing may be extra.

And of course, not all existing buildings even need gutting.

Commercial buildings are built to a higher standard than houses.

They also can last longer--100 to 200 years easily, or 500 or more if you

have Europeans' long-term outlook.  An existing building that may be

30 or 40 years old isn't even close to being worn out.  I wanted to

share this existing-building idea for everyone's consideration--

and for club members' wallets!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 32tatra said:

I just received my letter from the AACA.  I think the "urgent" on the envelope was a good idea.  It made me open it right away and read it.   I have lost count of the number of times that my local club, has sent out its newsletter  with info about a upcoming show or event, only to have members, who throw it in the corner and do not read it until after the event and miss it!

A another point, that a number of member have made is that we found out about this issue, after its is all over and done.  The Board has known about this issue for a number of years and keep us members in the dark.  So members who have given money and or cars to the museum, in the past few years are upset and rightly so.   Over the past number of year I have spent a  good sum of money buying things at the museum  auction, held each year at the meet in Philly.  Had I known about this issue, I would have brought nothing and spent more at the library tag sale! 

What brothers me, is why is the board so secretive, about things?  Why were we not told about these negotiations, years ago?  Then the membership would not have been blindsided my this letter.

This is negotiations about a auto museum, not " Salt Two" treaty talks about  nuclear weapons! 

Both the letter and posting  here, from board members, have made a point about the Library and Research Center and how much it has grown. Now it needs a bigger building.  The board wants to build a new building.  With the cost of building and zoning laws  and land.  This new building will cost million of dollars to build.  

How does the board plan to pay for this?  Are they going to tell us? Are we the members going to have any input into this?  Or is this going to be more secret meeting.  With the membership not know what is going on until its too late. 

The Board of Directors, get paid no money for what they do.  For that I respect them.  But why are their meeting so secret?  Steve said that they tape all of their meetings.  Do they not trust each other?  A number of people, have said that the Board has our best interests at heart.

Maybe if they told us what some of these interests are, we the members could take some of the load off of their hearts!

Here's my prediction.............AACA management will clam up and stonewall the issue, as they always do..................Bob

• Like 1

• Hi I'm jumping in for the first time but have been following and contributing to the Blog on Hemmings about this subject. Here is what I want to mention here.

I learned that the Museum offered, at no cost to the Club, 3 Acres of land next to the AACA Museum 3 months ago, as a sight for a new HQ, Library and Research Center. 

Doesn’t it seem that under the current situation, that if the offer still stands, why not accept the Land offer and start planning the move to the Property next to the Museum?

The new HQ, Library and Research Center next to the Museum, and where AACA Hershey Region’s Club building already exists, would form a huge Campus environment that sounds fantastic.

The other issues should be secondary and addressed later, or it will be difficult to move forward with resolving the original problem, which is the Headquarters, Library and Research Center are out of room needs to move.  The original AACA HQ Building looks to be a valuable asset and if sold could pay towards the cost of the new Building.

Am I the only one seeing this opportunity?

Doug Novak, New Freedom, Pa.

Update:  the Land offer from the Museum to AACA National was not "for free" in that there were monetary conditions attached to the offer that AACA would have to agree to.

•  

1. HQ,  months ago
Edited by Doug Novak
correction (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I had received the letter from the club yesterday, The day before I received a letter from the museum announcing their "annual appeal" looking for donations. I have donated in the past so I presumed I was on their mailing list. I did think it was odd, because I did not recall receiving such a letter in the past. 

It was URGENT that the club sent the letter out because I was going to write my annual check this weekend, and i commend the club for contacting me informing me of the developments. As I am looking at the papers sent by the museum now, on the donation envelope it says "Thank-you for your support of the Antique Automobile Club of America Museum" It is a little misleading by the museum and I feel really out and out dishonest. They made no mention of the departure and gave the impression that everything was normal just to get a donation.

I would like to thank the BOD of the AACA for informing me about the change in status between the club and the museum by an official communication through the mail. From reading some of the posts on this thread it seems like some of the posters fail to realize that the forum is not the official communication to the membership, and really in fact only a small percentage of members participate or even read the forum. 

• Like 5

I've always thought the AACA Library was a useful tool and worthwhile part of AACA. The AACA Museum was a money pit from the start, based on egos NOT passion. Pick the top six automotive museums, they were all started by one guy who could fund them, and LOVED every car in the collection. I never understood the need for the AACA Museum, and never set foot in the place. With the split will the "Donation" request that is part of the Hershey Fall Meet see one for the LIBRARY and one for the Museum on the hill? I never made a donation  because half would be taken from the Library, and squandered on something I couldn't care less about. Bob

It seems there is a very generous helping of "benefit of the doubt" being given to the Club when surely there are multiple sides to a story that evolved over a period of years.  The irony to the benefit being given is that the same people saying they were "misled" are now basing their colorful opinions on statements provided by the people they say misled them.  

2 minutes ago, midman said:

As was mentioned more than a few times there are two sides to every story. 

Our director mentioned that "it would take a book" to go over all the of the issues that have been a part of this decision but I can't believe that there were still that many issues unresolved after 4 years of negotiations.

Steve also stated "All of this issue has transpired over a 4 1/2 year period where the club tried to build a new facility on the museum property and failed to get approval." Who's approval did we not get, the townships for building purposes or one of the boards?

So my guestions are what were the final issues that could not be resolved from the clubs point of view, and if any museum board members are reading this blog what are the issues that could not be settled from the museums point of view.

A forum is not the place to settle anything, but as an AACA member, a contributor to the library,  and a volunteer at the museum I would at least like to know the respective positions that brought things to this point.

The merger may be a lost cause but I think we deserve to at least know what went wrong so we as members of AACA or supporters of the museum can make future decisions on who and what we want to support moving forward.

Chuck Hoffman

• Like 2

Wagons circled. Heads down. Blinders on. ............The only sound is of crickets.

My next prediction..... "The board members are volunteers and are  way too busy to respond to, or even read, forum comments. I suggest you put your comments in a letter to the board. We really appreciate and seriously consider all letters"................................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Doug Novak said:
        • Hi I'm jumping in for the first time but have been following and contributing to the Blog on Hemmings about this subject. Here is what I want to mention here.

I learned that the Museum offered, at no cost to the Club, 3 Acres of land next to the AACA Museum 3 months ago, as a sight for a new HQ, Library and Research Center. 

Doesn’t it seem that under the current situation, that if the offer still stands, why not accept the Land offer and start planning the move to the Property next to the Museum?

The new HQ, Library and Research Center next to the Museum, and where AACA Hershey Region’s Club building already exists, would form a huge Campus environment that sounds fantastic.

The other issues should be secondary and addressed later, or it will be difficult to move forward with resolving the original problem, which is the Headquarters, Library and Research Center are out of room needs to move.  The original AACA HQ Building looks to be a valuable asset and if sold could pay towards the cost of the new Building.

Am I the only one seeing this opportunity?

Doug Novak, New Freedom, Pa.

•  

1. HQ,  months ago

Who would own the land with the new building on it?  Would the land be severed or under the control of the Museum? You would not want to put a new building up a competitor's property and then loose it 10 years from now. Lots of questions.

I just my letter too and am sad to hear about this. BUT, as a member to the AACA, I am backing the AACA and Steve 100%. Their hearts are in the right place and will do whats best for the club as a whole. Sometimes decisions have to be made that are painful but have to be made anyway. I will stil go to the museum if it stays open.

I applaud you, Steve and back you 100%

Edited by topblissgt (see edit history)

I have not read all the posts so I apologize for not answering everyone.  My personal opinion is that life in AACA goes on.  The Museum has said they will continue to honor free entry to the museum by AACA members and that in small part recognizes the HUGE contribution to the museum by the club.  So to our members, nothing much changes except that most likely the only fund raising we will be seeking in the future  will be for a larger domicile for the club and library. Our magazine will still come to you, our meets and tours and all the other things will go on.

The museum has stated publicly that they will be fine without our contribution so that is good news for them.  A great museum will continue to thrive and hopefully recognize the importance of saving automotive history.

Believe me, I know most of the story here and am frustrated so I can understand much of the concern everyone has and the fact that people do not know the complete story.  Plus there is a lot of miss-information out there.  Take for instance, the comment in Hemmings that the museum offered us "free" land (3 acres) to build a new headquarters/library. Correct BUT in exchange for that they wanted us to have a capital campaign to raise money for our building and SPLIT it with them.  So, if it would for instance cost 4 million for a new bldg. they would expect us to raise 8 million and give them 4 million for a piece of property that they have set at a million dollars (330,000 an acre).  So free is not exactly free. I am not trying to criticize anyone...just getting facts out as in the end you have to make your decisions based upon knowledge.

As to the BOD not informing everyone earlier I can only question why would they do this?  Any donor or person who has ever asked the question whether we were one organization has ben told the truth to my knowledge.  Certainly be me and our staff when we got calls from donors.  For years, people at the museum told guests that they were not a part of AACA.  There was no need to publicize the trials and tribulations trying to get a deal done when no one knew the final outcome.  The club has always been hopeful that a compromise could be found and twice since Hershey agreed to meet again based on requests from a major contributor and two past presidents.  Those meetings never took place.  I am sure some museum board members were also hopeful of a settlement.  To heavily publicize our negotiations would have served no good purpose especially if we had come to an agreement.  We would have needlessly upset people at the time.  The fact that we failed is the final story.  Maybe in the future there will be an epilogue and a common sense approach will be taken. 

The AACA board will tell everyone more about this issue in the next printing of Antique Automobile.  Hopefully, people will understand more. AACA did merge with the library in 2006 and so there are no other changes to us.  The simple change that took place here is that we are not supporting the museum anymore and will be working on our own needs exclusively versus giving members money away to an entity that we have no legal interest in.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Take for instance, the comment in Hemmings that the museum offered us "free" land (3 acres) to build a new headquarters/library. Correct BUT in exchange for that they wanted us to have a capital campaign to raise money for our building and SPLIT it with them.  So, if it would for instance cost 4 million for a new bldg. they would expect us to raise 8 million and give them 4 million for a piece of property that they have set at a million dollars (330,000 an acre).  So free is not exactly free. I am not trying to criticizing anyone...just getting facts out as in the end you have to make your decisions based upon knowledge.

I for one due hope that Hemming's will correct their righting's and publicize in the same manner as their original article. Some of their righting's points put the club in a harsh light.   

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, R W Burgess said:

Thanks Steve,

I could never word it like you, but the AACA Board does appreciate your response!

Wayne

I probably could have, but it would have been stronger.  Get my dander up and I'm little like Donald Trump in the way I respond.  So, I try to keep my dander from getting up.  It's up now, so I'll let Steve do the talking.  Good job Steve.

33 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

The AACA board will tell everyone more about this issue in the next printing of Antique Automobile.  Hopefully, people will understand more. AACA did merge with the library in 2006 and so there are no other changes to us.  The simple change that took place here is that we are no supporting the museum anymore and will be working on our own needs exclusively versus giving members money away to an entity that we have no legal interest in.

Thank you for poking your head up, Steve. I'm very much hoping the coming article is written in a forthright manner. I for one am not interested in assigning blame for past events but would be most interested in what exactly was  the rational for and the amount of funds the club "contributed" to the museum and an outline of what went wrong.

I'm guessing, at this point, the membership expects, and deserves, a factual post mortem rather than an amorphous  general info type article.

I've often been a critic of the club's seeming opaqueness. Prove me wrong..............Bob Beck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe in Canada said:

I for one due hope that Hemming's will correct their righting's and publicize in the same manner as their original article. Some of their righting's points put the club in a harsh light.   

I went back into the Hemmings Forum and added the information that the Land offer from the Museum to AACA National was not "for free" in that there were monetary conditions attached to the offer that AACA would have to agree to.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bhigdog said:

Thank you for poking your head up, Steve. I'm very much hoping the coming article is written in a forthright manner. I for one am not interested in assigning blame for past events but would be most interested in what exactly was  the rational for and the amount of funds the club "contributed" to the museum and an outline of what went wrong.

I'm guessing, at this point, the membership expects, and deserves, a factual post mortem rather than an amorphous  general info type article.

I've often been a critic of the club's seeming opaqueness. Prove me wrong..............Bob Beck

Bob, I think I have tried to prove you wrong many times over the years! :D  Not sure I won any of those battles but without airing dirty laundry or personal opinions I am hopeful that the board can outline things further.  Now, I am going home to sit down in my office and finish a project of cataloging my literature.  Tomorrow I need therapy in the garage and get my fingers dirty and maybe even bloody!!

• Like 1

Bhigdog said " Here's my prediction.............AACA management will clam up and stonewall the issue, as they always do..................Bob "

Sticking one's head in the sand is one thing. I would like to know if AJFord54's post of his published letter to Hemmings was voluntarily removed by him or censored by the moderators of this forum. Stonewalling is one thing, censorship is quite another. I daresay many of us had already seen it in Hemmings and since it was published little would be gained by its removal.

26 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Not sure I won any of those battles

I'm not sure I did either but at least I tried.

29 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

without airing dirty laundry or personal opinions I am hopeful that the board can outline things further

I don't think naming names or assigning blame is necessary or even desirable but the AACA board does owe the membership a candid and lucid accounting of the why's and how's things went so wrong. It appears now that member's monies and efforts weren't used wisely or to their benefit. That may not be the case and now is the board's chance to explain their thinking and rational. It's likely that not everyone will agree with the board's decisions but it's just as likely that if the board is upfront the membership will at least be understanding. Obfuscating at this point will only make things worse.

46 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Tomorrow I need therapy in the garage and get my fingers dirty and maybe even bloody!!

I might also recommend an adult beverage and some female comfort. Usually works for me. Peace...................Bob Beck