What is this car?

Guest Samk

This is a family picture and we're trying to date it. Our best guess is 1919-1921.

Can anybody help to identify the make/model, and year of the car in the picture?

allkeeler.jpg

I think the car is pretty much new. It is shiny and clean. The top is clean. There appears to be no dirt on the underside of the mudguards = fenders. So based on it being RHD it is probably 1912 or 13. The spare tyre is still wrapped in something to keep it out of the sun - early tyres didn't last long. Maybe the new car is the reason for the photo opportunity.

The six panel rear window in the top makes me think Overland and the black-and-nickel kerosene tail and side lamps are as used (by Overland) on 1913 Model 69's only.

The 1913 Overland Model 69T has "question mark" rear fenders.  The only other 1913 Overland model to use them was the TC (not on the models 69R, C, or F or the Model 71) .

But, the 1913 Overland bodies didn't have the bead across the rear section, the 1913 Overland didn't use windshield support rods from the frame, and 1913 Overland wheels were gray with black hubs.  However, the 1912 Overland Model 59 (which had brass trim - windshield, radiator, lamps, etc.) has brass windshield support rods from the frame and all gray wheels.

The spare tire holders are not as used by Overland in 1912 or 1913, though rear-mounted spares (2) were standard.

It may be an early production 1913 Overland Model 69T with some carry-over features from the 1912 Model 59, or it may be "customized by owner".

It couldn't be a Jackson (as per the pennant) could it?

34 minutes ago, Lozierman said:

Notice the pendant on the car?  Jackson!  Check info on a 1911 Jackson touring.  Fenders and rear frame horns match.  Since we are guessing.

Missed it completely.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

It's an Overland.

Minnesota 1912-13-14 license plate pair 21766 were issued in 1912 and registered to F.D. Sawyer of Jackson for an Overland.

I believe it is a 1912 Model 61.

My father is a long-time collector of early Minnesota license plates and he has a 1912-13-14 MInnesota public automobile registration directory on his bookshelf so I looked up the plate.

The original hand-posted Minnesota motor vehicle registration ledgers from 1909 through 1914 are housed at the Minnesota Historical Society in St. Paul.  If I looked up the registration on the ledger, I could also provide the serial number of the car and pinpoint the model and  model year.

Sorry I was so late in providing a defininitive answers.  This is the first time I've perused the pre-war photo forum.

Edited by E_Johnson (see edit history)
  • Like 1