Finishing my Buick Shop

A week ago tomorrow I lost my Father-in-law.  It was too sudden and seemed a bit early for an 83 year old who lived a very clean and active life.  It was my 12-year old son’s first loss of a grandparent and he’s taking it hard.  

Grandpa Chuck was a nuclear scientist who worked on the Experimental Breeder Reactor, EBR-II, in Idaho in the 1960’s.  Idaho Falls is where my wife was born.  He gathered design data so that full scale reactors could be built and safely operated.  He also worked on things he couldn’t much talk about; but you could coax out a few good stories without much effort.  We all miss him a lot already.

I cheered up the boy by stocking that pop machine with a variety of not-so-healthy drinks.

I’ve also taken advantage of good weather to get water, sewer, communication, compressed air, and propane lines buried and connected to the shop.  It’s a lot of hard work and even with a backhoe, there’s plenty of shovel work.

2CDCDB10-14CA-41FD-AF2D-A4C6142203DF.jpeg

8D609DF7-76F4-4460-81A9-ACC6118464A0.jpeg

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your sons loss of his grand dad, they don't call them grand for nothin!!  of course I've still yet to experience being one :(

Really likin that old Coke machine. Thought about one for the BS&S but to be period correct all I'd need would be a barrel of ice, which shouldn't be too hard to do. :D

Uhhhh, what's this "backhoe" thing of which you speak. Got a picture of this contraption in action :D

14 hours ago, JoelsBuicks said:

A week ago tomorrow I lost my Father-in-law.  It was too sudden and seemed a bit early for an 83 year old who lived a very clean and active life.  It was my 12-year old son’s first loss of a grandparent and he’s taking it hard.

I second my sympathies MrEarl has expressed to you and your son Sir.

My youngest was 13 when we lost my wife's Dad. Being a man of slight stature and of an energetic French heritage well, the loss was sure felt too.

Now some 16 years later we lost my Dad 1 year ago on the 26th of this month. 

The boys were close to him too and the youngest helped Dad repaint his beloved Corvair several years ago in Dad's garage. I wasn't there much while this was being done but can imagine the conversations and sharing that went on...

5aa2a5caaacce_1966Corvair-freshpaint-spring2015-pic2.thumb.JPG.2f6eb3054e746f1c8dc55a9b7c4bb3c1.JPG

I'm sure this won't mean too much right now to your son as it is all too soon but tell him he is not alone and only time will heal his pain and loss.

Deepest Sympathies,

Doug 

14 hours ago, JoelsBuicks said:

Grandpa Chuck was a nuclear scientist who worked on the Experimental Breeder Reactor, EBR-II, in Idaho in the 1960’s.  Idaho Falls is where my wife was born.  He gathered design data so that full scale reactors could be built and safely operated.  He also worked on things he couldn’t much talk about; but you could coax out a few good stories without much effort.  We all miss him a lot already.

Our sincere condolences. Sounds like quite a guy! Was he a fan of this hobby?  Maybe your son could build a nice collage of pictures to display in your "lounge"?

• Like 1

Thank you all for the very nice thoughts. I love the idea of a picture collage for the rec area.  Grandpa Chuck had little interest in the old car hobby but he took every opportunity to lend a hand if needed.

As far as the OKC Nationals go, I would dearly love to open this shop up for a stopover.  I’m about 2 hours east of OKC.  I’ll do some planning as time gets closer.

Lamar, you asked about the backhoe and so today I took some pics.  It’s Dad’s, along with the Cat D6.  Those, together with the old dump truck is how I built the pad for the shop.

8E729D88-6763-49C7-9E98-E4D7D29C8362.jpeg

C2467676-A775-4777-B9FE-4D4209ABAA8B.jpeg

• Like 1

The old shop on this property is two buildings tied together to make about 2500 sqft.  I want this to be my dedicated woodshop for working on the wooded Buick’s.

As far as utilities go, I’m tieing these two buildings together.   Compressed air will be shared although both shops will have its compressor.  When it comes to sandblasting you just can’t seem to get enough air.

One of the pics shows a low-point water drain in the air line between shops.  I only use PVC for compressed air if I’m burying the line.  

Thanks again!

40DF39B6-2339-4B3B-AB1F-6BE4A13D357B.jpeg

B8A93FDA-8276-41B0-B446-2C8E42BD0B29.jpeg

25946EF6-1749-4312-A873-5E6F35D1671D.jpeg

• Like 1

There’s always that pucker moment when you turn the water back on.  In this case, that moment came after adding about 170 ft of line with three faucets and two block valves.   It held. 

Final connection on propane line and a phone line are all that’s left before final backfilling.  I wanted to get this all done before mowing season gets here.  I’ve done quite a bit of grading for proper draining.  Dad runs the box blade and smooths it out. Ready for the grass or whatever will grow.

I’ve added the farm style hydrants and stub-ups for compressed air.  

57FBB26E-B083-4265-B4D7-6F79C1B1388B.jpeg

24A5FB45-793D-41CF-9FA7-EBF19EED1966.jpeg

EA570A66-30C1-478D-96C9-E2FDEB5F1332.jpeg

• Like 3

A rather amazing artifact was found today as I was straightening out the soil after filling in some more of the trenches.

This appears to be maybe a horn button from a 60’s or 70’s Buick.  This old homesite was in our family but out of our control from about 1960 to 1980.  There was quite a bit of junk accumulated in the area where I built the new shop.   

Edit:  did some research and I believe this is a rally wheel cap for 71, 72 Skylark GS.  Still have no idea how it got there but at least it’s among friends!

ED9A6D3D-ABFB-4A2E-8E7D-CE15290BADD2.jpeg

Edited by JoelsBuicks (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The best thing about my plumbing job is that it will get covered up.   The next best thing is that it will work.  Still, it’s not pretty to look at and this is, for the most part, a result of my poor planning.  This all should have been drawn up long before the concrete came but at the time, I told myself that just getting it all inside a 2x6 wall would be good enough.  

I have in the past and in the course of building this shop, avoided showing certain features that just didn’t make the quality grade worthy of sharing.  Although this plumbing job rightfully belongs concealed between plywood and sheet rock, I’ve decided to show it as it represents progress in pursuit of getting these internal rooms finished.

Remember that it it started out like this:

8303E3D1-56E1-4EFC-8B4C-CAF406F12C00.jpeg

And here it is now ?

13BFBD9E-EA77-49FE-863A-550F08ABB47F.jpeg

• Like 1

Like I said,  it gets covered up.  And here is that wall with plywood.  This room is the mechanics room.  It’s about 19’ wide and 25’ long and will be climate controlled. The three lights just went in yesterday.  

Plumbing will service bathroom sink, shower, and toilet; water fountain, hot water heater, and worshin’ machine.

4491AC6E-8BB0-4B82-8BD5-A7312FC6A861.jpeg

4DFEC5B0-24B6-4EAA-8DD6-6E4819E2A77A.jpeg

A1C70E72-6BD8-4610-AE67-6F520F7C5F08.jpeg

9B1A73C7-A0B6-4D9F-85EF-43F5B1F2D274.jpeg

E6167DF8-7DD9-493B-81B8-D93924826103.jpeg

• Like 3

Looking good.  My new big shop is a long way from that.  I did get my order of windows in,  but they are just stacked inside,  waiting to be installed.  I've been working on my "small" shop it's 28 by 50 with a 10 foot ceiling.  Progress has been slow,  but steady, having to make special electrical box extenders and fix wiring that wasn't done quite right, mainly in the lighting.  Mostly because I have too much crap in the way.  Since the weather is still bordering on winter with wild temperature fluctuations,  I can't move anything out to the big shop as I don't want it to sweat with the wet warm ups from 20 degree night time temps.  The photos are a few days old,  I'm actually around the corner now and about 5 feet down the side wall.

I am over 1/2 way around with the wainescoting. It took forever just to out the finish on that stuff.  1 coat of stain and 3 coats of varnish on the bottom and 1 coat of whitewash,  then 2 coats of poly on the top.  I'm trying t finish this up before the weather really breaks and I can get outside to fix up the property after the big shop project really left a lot of dirt and rocks where it used to be trees,  and the wife would prefer it look better than a mud field.  I also need to get the grass going to prevent erosion. 

IMG_6169.JPG

IMG_6170.JPG

IMG_6171.JPG

• Like 3

9 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I have too much crap in the way.

Where does it all come from?  But someday we might use it and besides it’s too valuable to throw away.  I like what you’ve done with the walls.  That’s a lot of work and it looks very well done.  

I’ve been asked a couple times what I’m going to do with all that raw plywood on my walls.  Well, I don’t know.  The artful part of my brain either atrophied in college or was replaced with apathy - not sure which but don’t really care.

By the way, you should uncover some of that crap and show us.  I see a lot of interesting stuff there.

Thanks again for watching.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoelsBuicks said:

Where does it all come from?  But someday we might use it and besides it’s too valuable to throw away.  

I hear you there! :o

IMG_2702.thumb.JPG.271ce810e012dd97d220e9c8e68f4631.JPG

Can't imagine if I had a building the size you guys are building...

• Like 2

Crap breeds by itself at night when we aren't looking. ;)

I actually sell on eBay full time for a living so it's a real curse as well as somewhat of a blessing.  I buy or shall I say used to buy big lots to get a little cream.  I won't tell you how much crap I have culled and actually some good stuff, but it helped get rid of the crap when thrown on the pile and the new caretaker given a really good price on the lot.  I have 2 storage units 10 by 10's full and just hauled a little more over to help clean out a bit.  Someone is coming to buy those this week. It's half what I paid for the stuff,  but I have found better items to market so time to go. 

The problem with us collectors is we tend to collect a little of everything including cars, soda machines,  I even have records and crap like that I just went through and put a huge pile together to get rid of,  though I should get rid of all but enough to fill my couple of jukeboxes (more crap) as I never listen to them with satellite radio or the internet. A bunch of signs,  then a bunch of tools I will probably never use for specific old car applications because they were cheap or free.  Then boxes of hardware,  Carpentry tools, from when I was in business doing that including wood shop tools like a commercial planer and cabinet saw,  though I use my job site saw more than anything else.  I could literally turn this shop into a wood shop and probably have just enough room to set it up properly, but then what do you do with the cars? 

It's only time and money and both never seem to be there at the same time. 

Getting back to the garage,   I only went wit heh chair rail idea,  because the 4000 lineal feet of lumber I got a deal on,  didn't' have enough good boards with even do a solid vertical board all the way around,  by the time you took out all the damaged spots in the lumber and most of it was 16 foot boards.  This is the best I could do.  I still have a lot left over,  though much of it will be cut up for trim and extension jambs.  The few good long boards,  will be used for wainscoted soffits on the new shop. I also ran air lines in all the walls so I could reach just about anything in the shop with a 10 to 15 foot whip.  I hate tripping over air lines run across the floor. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dei said:

Can't imagine if I had a building the size you guys are building...

You would have room for one or two more cars,  but that's probably it. 

here is inside my new one already and stuff has to come out to put a floor in,  hopefully this fall. 

Though the pile under the lumber tarp is board and batten siding that will go on the building this summer I hope if the weather ever breaks.  It's all pre stained so I have a jump on that.  

IMG_8788.thumb.JPG.5fb9d5a7097e932d0be7727edd8142f1.JPG

IMG_8786.thumb.JPG.e401808716c42484a52c14a97cb9e42c.JPG

• Thanks 1

Has anyone here made a shop/garage out of those storage containers?

I found a site that sells nice un-insulated 8 x 40 for just over $2,000.  Looks like they would be an interesting project.

Check out some on Pinterest 

I currently have two that I use for storing cars and my tractor.  I know of others that do the same thing. Just need to put in some ventilation, spray foam the roof and paint the top of the container white.  Works fine.  Might be a little tight for getting out of the doors of a modern car but no different than getting out of the car in and enclosed car trailer.

A guy a few towns up did that, and was trying to get me to build mine the same way,  It wouldn't have worked and he fell under agriculture use so it didn't matter as you don't even need building permits.  I wanted clear span as well.  He took I'm not sure how many,  I think atleast 6 for 120 foot long barn,  put one on each side,  left the center area open and spanned it with trusses.   Can make for a huge garage is somewhat short order,  but I wanted a little more residential looking building to go with the house or atleast other out buildings.  

That’s a little less than the going rate for containers around here, I think it’s about $2800 and that includes delivery for up to 50 miles.  They are popular for use as storage around here.  I’ve heard about using them to support a truss span but haven’t seen one.  

I would love to have one or two just to manage those things that I want to keep but don’t want in my way.  For example, I have at least 7 extra straight 8 motors that take up too much room.  

I would probably put them side by side and put them about a foot above the ground with concrete spread footers or piers on the corners.  Would definitely gets some lights in there.  

• Like 1

One advantage appears to be you do not need a concrete floor under them....just some concrete supports or a footing around the perimeter, that saves $$.

Then depending on how far you space them apart, you pour the concrete floor between the two side units.   Someone above talked about the appearance, but there are

lots of ways of making them look like a normal building.  If you wanted it to look really nice, they could be faced with brick or stone.

I also like the fact that the steel is not going to be affected by a small grass fire.

I did manage to get a bit further on mine in the last few days.  One thing I decided to go for was rolling shelving units.  boy it really makes organizing the garage nice and a lot easier to work on my walls,  by just rolling them loaded to another spot.  Even my large shelves are on wheels now.  You can just see them with the bins on them in the earlier photo I posted.   I've gotten rid of almost all my fixed shelving for the garage.  I also put the rapid air system in and it feels like a small miracle when I actually get to install one on the finished wall.  Even putting outlet covers on seem like small victories,  because you finally realize that spot is finished. 

IMG_7469.JPG

fullsizeoutput_406.jpeg

• Like 1

The mechanic room is about 19’ x 25’ and will accommodate my largest Buick plus some room for tools,  benches and a sink.  The best thing is that it will be climate controlled.  

I’ve all but finished with adding the 1/2” plywood to the walls.  Until now, I’ve not been happy with how my pics show this room.  The plywood helps.

Oh that plywood!  What am I going to do with it?  There’s so much of it.  My electrical boxes were installed to allow nothing additional as far as thickness goes.   Does that leave me with either paint or wallpaper?  I’m probably kidding about wallpaper and so it’s paint I suppose.  Maybe some pegboard in places but.....?  

Honestly, I don’t like plywood and I don’t like it painted either.  It’s convenient to nail or screw stuff to and that’s why I used it.  I don’t really have a theme going on.  I’m open to ideas but I need to figure it out soon as I’m wanting to hang more lights.

750CDCB6-1765-4E27-B34A-C7DB1C59D03D.jpeg

A5A879F6-0A29-44F3-A1E1-C706F23840E9.jpeg

80F85FAA-CBC8-4889-A186-61C02336002B.jpeg

• Like 1

I had to make custom extenders for the outlets that were already installed in my garage.  They were set for 1/2 inch sheetrock.  I went with 1 inch of foam,  a 1/2 inch nailing strip and then 3/4 inch of wood,  so the outlets were so buried I had no choice.  The standard extenders would work as they weren't deep enough so I took the plastic boxes with wings and cut them on the chop saw to the desired depth I marked on them.  It works really slick and only didn't work on the 3 gang which I cut carefully with a hack saw,   though I could have cut with my 12 inch sliding chop saw, but didn]t want to drag it and the table all out for one cut,  as I had my 10 inch non slider already set up.  

You could take the wings off and use the screw holes in the face to mount them as long s you are using something the screws could bite into.  

The boxes I have been adding where I had to wire in the lights as they were originally hardwired and being used as the junction boxes are all adjustable depth as they are being used on the ceiling and at the moment I have no idea what the finish is going to be.  I'm leaning toward a tin type ceiling or atleast faux tin ceiling so I have no idea what depth the boxes would have to be.  This gives me the option without having to mess around with the extenders I have been making. 

I actually spent all day cleaning and moving stuff around in mine today,  just so I can finish putting the foam up on the ceiling where one of the cars were.  The empty bay,  was full of crap,  so I had to clean that out,  then get the Hudson running and out to switch it over to that bay.  Then move the Cord to where the Hudson was,  then I was finally able to take the one light down in that bay and put a new box in so when I put it back I can plug it in.  That will make it easier to drop and put back up when I finally figure out what I'm doing with the ceiling.  

It would probably have taken me 1/2 the time or less if my garage had been empty except for my carpentry tools to finish the thing off. 

One option you could use is the wanescoting paneling that is raw wood,  It almost looks like the real thing,  from a distance.   My original plan was to go with that,  but wit hate foam and Roxul insulation that bulges the foam out,  it wasn't a good match.  I really like the look of the real wanescotting any ways and got a "deal". atleast I keep telling myself that, on it. 

You are gaining though.  I think you are going to beat me, and I'm only finishing my small garage.

I'm probably years away from the point you are at on the big shop.

I was just contemplating what kind of semi permanent doors I could build today as the 75 MPH wind gusts really beat up my 14 by 16 foot tarp door. 

Finished with insulating rooms upstairs and downstairs.  I always dreaded messing with insulation, especially when it’s hot and sweaty.  For some reason this little job wasn’t bad at all. I didn’t get into a hurry and I used a sharp insulation knife; the dust was kept to a minimum.  I used a cheap air stapler that I got at Harbor Freight and lapped the little flaps and used over 6000 staples.  That little stapler worked like a charm.

Now I need a drywaller/taper.  My experience has been that those are two separate people.  I’m trying to get these rooms climate controlled before things get hot here.

037AA28E-FFD8-42CB-A15A-D0615D0D7FB7.jpeg

FBDCE38E-6DB3-419B-BF19-D19ABCEB7187.jpeg

A1A6B5EE-68E2-4DB7-A727-BB75B583F83E.jpeg

DD52D14D-5AA8-440F-BC08-C0B0BB3D287A.jpeg

E292987B-F3D4-4C76-8E05-58066B1D472C.jpeg

CE04136B-7CE6-41C2-B07E-9575E4FDB008.jpeg

• Like 2

Bet you are happy you are done insulating.  I get the itches even walking in the room with the stuff.  I had to pull down about 9 bays of roxul insulation to run a wire the other day that the previous owner didn't do right and I was relieved when I pushed the last piece in place then unsuited.  Now it's all covered with foam. I only have the bay the panel box is in and a couple tiny rippings to stuff up by my stairs,  then I'm completely done with the stuff.  On the little garage.  The big one is 3 times the size of it.  I'm not looking forward to that. 

Looks like you are making good progress.  Keep us up to date. 

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress is progress nonetheless.  Right now, I’m in pursuit of getting ready for the drywall in the remaining three rooms.  I’m not at all wanting to do that job myself; just want to have it ready to go.  Drywall will arrive tomorrow; 26 sheets of 12’ and 36 sheets of 8’.  

I’ve installed three more walk doors with only one left.  The old blue green door in the pic below was old when my Dad installed on a long gone pool house.  I’ve got just a few repairs to make on it and it will be part of my wide door into the mechanics room.  The other larger door will be framed up, covered in plywood, and once hung will become the latch side for the small door and it will be used infrequently.

I’ve framed the walls of the bath and shower.  I’ve also pressure tested the plumbing with great results.  The plumbing can now be covered up. 

The work never seems to end.  I just keep chipping away.

CD516590-A42E-4513-A06E-6D3C1F510755.jpeg

725C48B7-9AA4-4A05-8BB8-61AF32DACBE9.jpeg

527CD193-9907-41B7-BF8A-D2320125D0F6.jpeg

• Like 4

But as you said it's still progress.  I thought I was going to have my walls all finished in my old garage,  but I ran short 15 boards, (not sure how that happened) so I had to go dig out some good ones from my pile of junk and sand them all.  Now I'll try to get the finish on them tomorrow.  My wife's master cylinder went in her summer beater 91 VW cabriolet so that took precidense (OK spell check doesn't like that word no matter how I spell it but won't recommend the right spelling?) I just finished that job so Hopefully I can finally get the last 10 feet of wall done. 

Keep us posted on your progress.  It's good to know it's not just me that seems to not get as much done as they should ;)

I haven't even tackled the windows on the new shop, and really need to get a set of doors built for the garage door as the tarp is a real PIA and the wind is really starting to have it's way with it. 

I need to go over the brakes on the 40 Ford coupe as well so I can put that into use.

Does the list ever get smaller or do we just keep adding to it? 

• Like 1

The list never gets smaller, it’s what’s on it that makes all the difference. I have a tendency to get myself in too deep in other endeavors.

Here in OK there’s been these sorry wild Bradford pear trees scattering themselves everywhere.  Back in January, I cut graft wood (scions) from my dormant fruiting pear trees.  Last week I grafted 22 of those wild trees.

9A6D8796-D022-405F-84CD-DD8C0C478BCB.jpeg

And then the garden and orchard where the weeds grow faster than anything else.  As Kermit would say, “it ain’t easy being green.”

992EA139-A6C6-4F09-82C3-6B4AD14D75CA.jpeg

93FA0517-5EB6-4EAD-80CD-19256DF70191.jpeg

• Like 2

We still have a few small snowbanks left here,  so haven't gotten to the yardwork yet.  Though with that shop project,  came alot of dirt displacement and land clearing,  so I have piles of brush to chip, probably a few more trees to come down and alot of area to smooth and seed. 

We also got an insane amount of pine cones dropped this year, so I have a bunch of those to clean up. 

I was thinking of adding some fruit trees to our front field we cleared as we don't use it for anything else.  It's full of wild blueberry bushes,  (atleast 50%) so I can't even mow it with a sickle bar mower.  I have to go over the whole thing with a weedeater. 

This “mechanics room” will accommodate a car, some tool cabinets, work benches and a large double sink.  I also have some heavy duty woodworking tables that will be fitted with castors so as to be rolled into or out of this room.  Most importantly, this room is heated and cooled and as such has to be closed up.  I expect to spend a lot of time here; weather in OK is brutal in the summer and uncomfortably cold in the winter.

The large door is comprised of two doors; one that will be a walk door and another larger door that will open to allow for passage of cars and tables.  I built this large door with plywood and 2x4s that were planed down.  It’s also insulated.

I need to just shut up and show pics!  I seem to be limited on pic size for some reason.

0B565FE6-A23A-49CA-A8A8-F52C656B64C4.jpeg

4C9A9901-36C1-4EAA-962B-F6D33CB264AC.jpeg

814D401C-68E8-4556-BAF5-ADC0983A28DA.jpeg

• Like 2

One step closer to being finished.  The problem is there are alot more.  Atleast you have alot less steps left than me.  I think you are going to beat me to the finish line. 

The roller ball is a good Idea.  I might have to borrow that one for my big entry doors.  With my gravel floor,  I'll probably have to add a trailer tongue jack with a wheel on it for now. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

KC!  Good to hear from you.  Was looking at that drywall job of yours, thinking I should give that a try.  On second thought.......I don’t have the guts.  I can screw it up no doubt but then again I might just screw it up.

Today an old door got a new bottom.  Nice chunk of cypress was mortised and door was cut down to fit.  Just can’t deal with a rotten bottom.

CAE24A9E-4BCD-4340-983E-3841AD1F3C9D.jpeg

BB4A3234-EA07-40A1-85F7-84637BD01D83.jpeg

C8F27106-3690-4C04-BD52-EF9565EA1231.jpeg

6021BB2F-1A7B-46E8-818E-8033F5FD2231.jpeg

Edited by JoelsBuicks
Added pic of old walk door fitted to where it belongs. (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Finally letting myself check in here and not at all surprised at the amount and quality of work I am seeing done since my last visit. You sir are one fine carpenter and craftsman. And get it done too!!! 

So of course I am loving the door. I take it that it was once a 7 horizontal panel door and you're planning on putting some glass in it?  And that regrettably you will be painting over that beautiful chippy patina?  Nice job on the repair, some real craftsmanship!!! as well as the larger plywood mate to it, cool idea on the roller on the bottom, guess you's see how flat your floor is there eh?  Jeeze you've got some nice woodworking tools. I'm in the market for a thickness planer for some of the heart pine flooring I'll be using for walls and ceilings, any suggestions on best brand, under $400. Looked at an older Grizzly but, it was OLDER so passed. 

Have you considered staining and shellacking some of the plywood walls. Some of the grain I am seeing would look cool treated like that. On others I guess paint would be your best and simplest solution. Maybe in areas you want to look nicer, consider some corrugated metal or barn wood 4 ft wainscoting.

Loving all the pictures and don't think for a minute no one is checking them out. And in detail. Sure hope the new image size restrictions don't put a big damper in our stories.

Carry on bro!!!

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

I'm in the market for a thickness planer for some of the heart pine flooring I'll be using for walls and ceilings, any suggestions on best brand, under $400. Looked at an older Grizzly but, it was OLDER so passed. 

I purchased an older (70's?) Delta Rockwell 12 inch planer.  I like my Grizzly Joiner.  I have a real nice Delta Rockwell Cabinet saw I never used as I haven't had my shop ever set up properly for it.   

For newer tools Jet is pretty good,  but some of the slightly older big boys like Delta or Grizzly are the way to go.  

I actually have a smaller 12 inch Delta Planer I bought new for around $500 about 17 years ago and it planed very well,  but couldn't really bite alot on 12 inch boards.  It was great for 4 to 6 inch stuff though.  Not sure how wide your boards are but that might be a route if they aren't too big. 

Craigslist and the local swap sheets are probably the best place to find some.  Look at some estate sales as well.  A friend of my uses estate sale .net and finds alot of stuff.  Wood working tools seem like the type of thing you might find on there and by people who are just looking to clean the house out to sell it.  

Careful though,  you might find a Buick following you home if you spend too long on there. ;)

I couldn’t get along without my thickness planer.  In fact, I have three of them that are all 18”.  They are each nearly 1000lb machines and are workhorses. I’ve mentioned before that for me, hobby furniture building came before the buicks and now I enjoy rewooding the old buicks.

One of the many reasons for my new shop was to allow for woodshop expansion in my old shop.  I find myself needing all those tools to build the car wood.

I’ll keep an eye out for a great deal on some good old planer iron for Lamar.  If you’re going to be surfacing a lot of boards for a show side, you’ll want a drum sander like the one shown here; it takes the work out of finishing.

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1