JoelsBuicks

Finishing my Buick Shop

Thank you.  I badly wanted to take my iPhone camera out there and get shots of the four-person crew. It's widely known around here that they do not like to be photographed. That's my Dad in the red sock cap, inspecting the day's work.  By the way, the peak is about 23' tall and that south wall is about 14'.

Rain early today but crew started about 9am.  All rafters are up as are the end walls.  The sheathing boards will come tomorrow and Wednesday and then framing on the paint booth.  Metal arrives on Thursday and things will begin to take shape.

IMG_1721.JPG

IMG_1724.JPG

IMG_1725.JPG

IMG_1726.JPG

• Like 6

It seems to be bigger with the framing in place.  The height surprises me also.  70 mph winds predicted tonight.  The crew left it well-braced.

My future paint booth is now framed in as you'll see in today's pics.

IMG_1733.JPG

IMG_1736.JPG

IMG_1738.JPG

• Like 2

:oCrap, I need to get started back on mine (3 year project so far) or you're going to be turning wrenches in yours before I even get electrical ran in mine! :rolleyes:

of course if I'd hire some of the work out on mine it might help move things along. 

Joel yours is looking good man! You've  got to be ecstatic that it is all finally happening and you'll soon have a dream garage you can be as proud of just as much as all the wonderful Buick's that will inhabit it. 

Really enjoying following the build, THANKS for sharing! 

Speaking of bracing, is there any diagonal or lateral bracing along the the trusses and truss braces yet. 

I am also awestruck by the sheer size.  Joel,  I understand there will be a National Meet in Oklahoma City in the near future.  (2019 maybe?)

Maybe you'd consider hosting a non official tour? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

I am also awestruck by the sheer size.  Joel,  I understand there will be a National Meet in Oklahoma City in the near future.  (2019 maybe?)

Maybe you'd consider hosting a non official tour? 

Shucks, let's just have the meet there.

Ben

• Like 1

I'll go ahead and expose some soft underbelly here.  I'm a retired chemical engineer, not a mechanical, civil, or structural guy.   When it comes to permanent braces for this building I'm left with guessing and probably overkill. 

There will be two lateral braces on the bottom of the trusses that run the length of the building.  These keep the trusses upright.  There will be diagonal braces at the end walls to give them strength across the bottom of the end trusses.  Then there will be diagonal braces cut into the back wall.  

I know that the metal skin provides tremendous strength holding the planes flat and square.       Of course wind is the concern, not snow.  If it gets in the way of one of our tornados, it won't hold up.

i have an ambitious stretch goal of bringing six cars to OKC in 2019.  This will require finishing restoration of four Buicks.  I would love for one of them to be my '36 Series 90.  

I can't wait to get this project finished and put into use.  Aside from fixing the radiator in my '60 last week, I haven't worked on one in two months.?

Oh, forgot to mention that I didn't have my iPhone with me today so no pics.  But, will promise some nice stuff tomorrow.  Crazy how much I rely on this phone!

Thanks again for the nice words.

Joel

• Like 2

One other thing, has anyone here built a sandblasting room or hut?  I'm spending a fortune on once-through blasting sand for the big stuff.  I need a way to recycle but everything I think of turns into a solar kiln ?

Progress pictured as of end of day today.  Metal on three walls, none on roof.  Rolls of roof insulation came today.  Windows are in.  Colors are Ash Gray and Royal Blue.  

IMG_1739.JPG

IMG_1740.JPG

IMG_1741.JPG

IMG_1742.JPG

• Like 5

The crew needed one more person to help handle the 44'-4" long roof sheets.  That was me and I amount to about 75% but we got by.  We roofed the whole north side and that included rolling out the 3" insulation blankets.  Pics below and more to come.

IMG_1744.JPG

IMG_1750.JPG

IMG_1751.JPG

IMG_1752.JPG

• Like 1

We didn't quite get halfway on the south side of the roof but it was a very good day.  No one got hurt but I've got panoramic sore muscles.  I probably won't be worth killin' tomorrow. 

IMG_1755.JPG

IMG_1757.JPG

Here are some more pics showing some features.  For example, the pic below shows a garage door trimmed with a metal channel that the metal company made; they can bend about any thing you want.

The two internal rooms are a little easier to see and I really like the bright white cover on the insulation.  The end door is 12' wide and 14' tall.

IMG_1765.JPG

IMG_1758.JPG

IMG_1761.JPG

IMG_1762.JPG

IMG_1763.JPG

IMG_1764.JPG

IMG_1767.JPG

IMG_1754.JPG

Edited by JoelsBuicks
Add garage door pic (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Thanks Larry.  This building is even more than my dream shop that I had planned a few years back.  My Dad encouraged me to go big when we were clearing the space and building up the pad.

He moved to this place when he was 10 years old in 1944.  The front of the building faces the old homesite and every day Dad sits and watches the progress and is liking what he sees.  He can't do much these days but does operate the dozer and backhoe often.

He and my Mother gave this property to me.  I am grateful for that and the many other things that have made this possible.  With his equipment we built the pad.  We used the backhoe to manage the lumber and sawmill operation.  I'm truly fortunate and I'm dreading that day when Dad is not there to cheer me on.

This shop will have about 6600 sqft under roof and about 1000 sqft of second story storage.  The porch area is about 600 sqft.

I wish I knew more about modern lighting as that will come soon.  A couple more pics below.

IMG_1769.JPG

IMG_1770.JPG

IMG_1772.JPG

Edited by JoelsBuicks (see edit history)
  • Like 4

At this point the only lighting that I would buy would be LED lights. A little more expensive at first but the savings pay off in the end. I have even stopped buying the compact fluorescent bulbs and changing everything to LED. 

• Like 1

I've tried some half hearted internet searches on high bay LED lights but I'm always left confused and wanting to see the lights.  I might just buy one and hook it up for a test.

I can not believe the daily progress you are making. Is this still the same Amish crew that did the framing? and how many are there?! Are you paying by the day, hour or ? Can you send them my way when they finish up there, please! 

It is really looking great Joel, love the exterior colors you chose. and the overhang is a great idea. 

If you haven't already, check this site for questions on garage lighting or actually anything shop/garage related. 

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Lamar, thanks for that website link - I took a quick look and it looks like a lot of good, germane discussion going on. 

The same Amish crew is installing the metal.  They are experts at this kind of construction.  I pay a little less than a grand a day for a four person crew and eight hour day.  They stay hooked up until you tell them they're done. 

Trim work today and finishing the blue wainscot.  My car tried out the paint booth.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Joel

IMG_1773.JPG

IMG_1774.JPG

IMG_1775.JPG

IMG_1776.JPG

IMG_1777.JPG

• Like 4

The garage is looking gorgeous and finally seeing one of the buicks in your garage is such a tease.  I can't wait to see all of the other cars that fill this garage.

Front metal went on today.  Will be visiting overhead garage door folks tomorrow.

Thanks Kosage for the nice words and encouragement; I have a number of old Buicks that need this shelter as they await their turn. 

IMG_1783.JPG

IMG_1786.JPG

IMG_1789.JPG

IMG_1787.JPG

• Like 3

Oh man,  loving the layout of the building! Especially the covered porch area at the big doors, that's a great idea.  Are you going to insulate the ceiling area of that area? it looks great with the exposed beams and purlins but insulation would help tremendously to keep it cool? 

Looking great Joel!!!  Thanks for taking and sharing all the great pictures, look forward to following the electrical and lighting process. 

LED lighting can do what you want.  You are going to need general purpose floods for the large open areas.  I like Daylight (3000 Kelvin) as opposed to the soft white (2700 K) bulbs.

I also find that directional spots pointed to the work benches make working on them easy on my 65 year old eyes.  If you use Mercury vapor tor Tungstun lights, you will pay more in electrel costs plus walk out of your garage with a sunburn.

If you have cabinets, under counter lighting works well.

You still will need drop lights for under the hood work, I find a rechargeable LED one from HF is a good choice and can go anywhere. I hate having to deal with a cord.

Your lucky you get to put it in from the beginning, retrofitting is a bitch.

Being in central Oklahoma, are you thinking of A/C ?

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)