JoelsBuicks

Finishing my Buick Shop

I had to make custom extenders for the outlets that were already installed in my garage.  They were set for 1/2 inch sheetrock.  I went with 1 inch of foam,  a 1/2 inch nailing strip and then 3/4 inch of wood,  so the outlets were so buried I had no choice.  The standard extenders would work as they weren't deep enough so I took the plastic boxes with wings and cut them on the chop saw to the desired depth I marked on them.  It works really slick and only didn't work on the 3 gang which I cut carefully with a hack saw,   though I could have cut with my 12 inch sliding chop saw, but didn]t want to drag it and the table all out for one cut,  as I had my 10 inch non slider already set up.  

You could take the wings off and use the screw holes in the face to mount them as long s you are using something the screws could bite into.  

The boxes I have been adding where I had to wire in the lights as they were originally hardwired and being used as the junction boxes are all adjustable depth as they are being used on the ceiling and at the moment I have no idea what the finish is going to be.  I'm leaning toward a tin type ceiling or atleast faux tin ceiling so I have no idea what depth the boxes would have to be.  This gives me the option without having to mess around with the extenders I have been making. 

I actually spent all day cleaning and moving stuff around in mine today,  just so I can finish putting the foam up on the ceiling where one of the cars were.  The empty bay,  was full of crap,  so I had to clean that out,  then get the Hudson running and out to switch it over to that bay.  Then move the Cord to where the Hudson was,  then I was finally able to take the one light down in that bay and put a new box in so when I put it back I can plug it in.  That will make it easier to drop and put back up when I finally figure out what I'm doing with the ceiling.  

It would probably have taken me 1/2 the time or less if my garage had been empty except for my carpentry tools to finish the thing off. 

One option you could use is the wanescoting paneling that is raw wood,  It almost looks like the real thing,  from a distance.   My original plan was to go with that,  but wit hate foam and Roxul insulation that bulges the foam out,  it wasn't a good match.  I really like the look of the real wanescotting any ways and got a "deal". atleast I keep telling myself that, on it. 

You are gaining though.  I think you are going to beat me, and I'm only finishing my small garage.

I'm probably years away from the point you are at on the big shop.

I was just contemplating what kind of semi permanent doors I could build today as the 75 MPH wind gusts really beat up my 14 by 16 foot tarp door. 

Finished with insulating rooms upstairs and downstairs.  I always dreaded messing with insulation, especially when it’s hot and sweaty.  For some reason this little job wasn’t bad at all. I didn’t get into a hurry and I used a sharp insulation knife; the dust was kept to a minimum.  I used a cheap air stapler that I got at Harbor Freight and lapped the little flaps and used over 6000 staples.  That little stapler worked like a charm.

Now I need a drywaller/taper.  My experience has been that those are two separate people.  I’m trying to get these rooms climate controlled before things get hot here.

037AA28E-FFD8-42CB-A15A-D0615D0D7FB7.jpeg

FBDCE38E-6DB3-419B-BF19-D19ABCEB7187.jpeg

A1A6B5EE-68E2-4DB7-A727-BB75B583F83E.jpeg

DD52D14D-5AA8-440F-BC08-C0B0BB3D287A.jpeg

E292987B-F3D4-4C76-8E05-58066B1D472C.jpeg

CE04136B-7CE6-41C2-B07E-9575E4FDB008.jpeg

• Like 2

Bet you are happy you are done insulating.  I get the itches even walking in the room with the stuff.  I had to pull down about 9 bays of roxul insulation to run a wire the other day that the previous owner didn't do right and I was relieved when I pushed the last piece in place then unsuited.  Now it's all covered with foam. I only have the bay the panel box is in and a couple tiny rippings to stuff up by my stairs,  then I'm completely done with the stuff.  On the little garage.  The big one is 3 times the size of it.  I'm not looking forward to that. 

Looks like you are making good progress.  Keep us up to date. 

Slow progress is progress nonetheless.  Right now, I’m in pursuit of getting ready for the drywall in the remaining three rooms.  I’m not at all wanting to do that job myself; just want to have it ready to go.  Drywall will arrive tomorrow; 26 sheets of 12’ and 36 sheets of 8’.  

I’ve installed three more walk doors with only one left.  The old blue green door in the pic below was old when my Dad installed on a long gone pool house.  I’ve got just a few repairs to make on it and it will be part of my wide door into the mechanics room.  The other larger door will be framed up, covered in plywood, and once hung will become the latch side for the small door and it will be used infrequently.

I’ve framed the walls of the bath and shower.  I’ve also pressure tested the plumbing with great results.  The plumbing can now be covered up. 

The work never seems to end.  I just keep chipping away.

CD516590-A42E-4513-A06E-6D3C1F510755.jpeg

725C48B7-9AA4-4A05-8BB8-61AF32DACBE9.jpeg

527CD193-9907-41B7-BF8A-D2320125D0F6.jpeg

• Like 4

But as you said it's still progress.  I thought I was going to have my walls all finished in my old garage,  but I ran short 15 boards, (not sure how that happened) so I had to go dig out some good ones from my pile of junk and sand them all.  Now I'll try to get the finish on them tomorrow.  My wife's master cylinder went in her summer beater 91 VW cabriolet so that took precidense (OK spell check doesn't like that word no matter how I spell it but won't recommend the right spelling?) I just finished that job so Hopefully I can finally get the last 10 feet of wall done. 

Keep us posted on your progress.  It's good to know it's not just me that seems to not get as much done as they should ;)

I haven't even tackled the windows on the new shop, and really need to get a set of doors built for the garage door as the tarp is a real PIA and the wind is really starting to have it's way with it. 

I need to go over the brakes on the 40 Ford coupe as well so I can put that into use.

Does the list ever get smaller or do we just keep adding to it? 

• Like 1

The list never gets smaller, it’s what’s on it that makes all the difference. I have a tendency to get myself in too deep in other endeavors.

Here in OK there’s been these sorry wild Bradford pear trees scattering themselves everywhere.  Back in January, I cut graft wood (scions) from my dormant fruiting pear trees.  Last week I grafted 22 of those wild trees.

9A6D8796-D022-405F-84CD-DD8C0C478BCB.jpeg

And then the garden and orchard where the weeds grow faster than anything else.  As Kermit would say, “it ain’t easy being green.”

992EA139-A6C6-4F09-82C3-6B4AD14D75CA.jpeg

93FA0517-5EB6-4EAD-80CD-19256DF70191.jpeg

Edited by JoelsBuicks (see edit history)
  • Like 2

We still have a few small snowbanks left here,  so haven't gotten to the yardwork yet.  Though with that shop project,  came alot of dirt displacement and land clearing,  so I have piles of brush to chip, probably a few more trees to come down and alot of area to smooth and seed. 

We also got an insane amount of pine cones dropped this year, so I have a bunch of those to clean up. 

I was thinking of adding some fruit trees to our front field we cleared as we don't use it for anything else.  It's full of wild blueberry bushes,  (atleast 50%) so I can't even mow it with a sickle bar mower.  I have to go over the whole thing with a weedeater. 

This “mechanics room” will accommodate a car, some tool cabinets, work benches and a large double sink.  I also have some heavy duty woodworking tables that will be fitted with castors so as to be rolled into or out of this room.  Most importantly, this room is heated and cooled and as such has to be closed up.  I expect to spend a lot of time here; weather in OK is brutal in the summer and uncomfortably cold in the winter.

The large door is comprised of two doors; one that will be a walk door and another larger door that will open to allow for passage of cars and tables.  I built this large door with plywood and 2x4s that were planed down.  It’s also insulated.

I need to just shut up and show pics!  I seem to be limited on pic size for some reason.

0B565FE6-A23A-49CA-A8A8-F52C656B64C4.jpeg

4C9A9901-36C1-4EAA-962B-F6D33CB264AC.jpeg

814D401C-68E8-4556-BAF5-ADC0983A28DA.jpeg

• Like 2

This is a pic of the bottom edge of the door sitting upon a sawhorse.  I put a roller ball under there to help support the door and it turned out to work better than I expected.

6216F125-1704-4CD4-B216-2AF685E2B3D8.jpeg

• Like 4

One step closer to being finished.  The problem is there are alot more.  Atleast you have alot less steps left than me.  I think you are going to beat me to the finish line. 

The roller ball is a good Idea.  I might have to borrow that one for my big entry doors.  With my gravel floor,  I'll probably have to add a trailer tongue jack with a wheel on it for now. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

Loving the progress Mr Joel.  I will use this thread as a future reference for ideas and learning tools.  Be well Sir.

KC!  Good to hear from you.  Was looking at that drywall job of yours, thinking I should give that a try.  On second thought.......I don’t have the guts.  I can screw it up no doubt but then again I might just screw it up.

Today an old door got a new bottom.  Nice chunk of cypress was mortised and door was cut down to fit.  Just can’t deal with a rotten bottom.

CAE24A9E-4BCD-4340-983E-3841AD1F3C9D.jpeg

BB4A3234-EA07-40A1-85F7-84637BD01D83.jpeg

C8F27106-3690-4C04-BD52-EF9565EA1231.jpeg

6021BB2F-1A7B-46E8-818E-8033F5FD2231.jpeg

Edited by JoelsBuicks
Added pic of old walk door fitted to where it belongs. (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Finally letting myself check in here and not at all surprised at the amount and quality of work I am seeing done since my last visit. You sir are one fine carpenter and craftsman. And get it done too!!! 

So of course I am loving the door. I take it that it was once a 7 horizontal panel door and you're planning on putting some glass in it?  And that regrettably you will be painting over that beautiful chippy patina?  Nice job on the repair, some real craftsmanship!!! as well as the larger plywood mate to it, cool idea on the roller on the bottom, guess you's see how flat your floor is there eh?  Jeeze you've got some nice woodworking tools. I'm in the market for a thickness planer for some of the heart pine flooring I'll be using for walls and ceilings, any suggestions on best brand, under $400. Looked at an older Grizzly but, it was OLDER so passed. 

Have you considered staining and shellacking some of the plywood walls. Some of the grain I am seeing would look cool treated like that. On others I guess paint would be your best and simplest solution. Maybe in areas you want to look nicer, consider some corrugated metal or barn wood 4 ft wainscoting.

Loving all the pictures and don't think for a minute no one is checking them out. And in detail. Sure hope the new image size restrictions don't put a big damper in our stories.

Carry on bro!!!

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

I'm in the market for a thickness planer for some of the heart pine flooring I'll be using for walls and ceilings, any suggestions on best brand, under $400. Looked at an older Grizzly but, it was OLDER so passed. 

I purchased an older (70's?) Delta Rockwell 12 inch planer.  I like my Grizzly Joiner.  I have a real nice Delta Rockwell Cabinet saw I never used as I haven't had my shop ever set up properly for it.   

For newer tools Jet is pretty good,  but some of the slightly older big boys like Delta or Grizzly are the way to go.  

I actually have a smaller 12 inch Delta Planer I bought new for around $500 about 17 years ago and it planed very well,  but couldn't really bite alot on 12 inch boards.  It was great for 4 to 6 inch stuff though.  Not sure how wide your boards are but that might be a route if they aren't too big. 

Craigslist and the local swap sheets are probably the best place to find some.  Look at some estate sales as well.  A friend of my uses estate sale .net and finds alot of stuff.  Wood working tools seem like the type of thing you might find on there and by people who are just looking to clean the house out to sell it.  

Careful though,  you might find a Buick following you home if you spend too long on there. ;)

I couldn’t get along without my thickness planer.  In fact, I have three of them that are all 18”.  They are each nearly 1000lb machines and are workhorses. I’ve mentioned before that for me, hobby furniture building came before the buicks and now I enjoy rewooding the old buicks.

One of the many reasons for my new shop was to allow for woodshop expansion in my old shop.  I find myself needing all those tools to build the car wood.

I’ll keep an eye out for a great deal on some good old planer iron for Lamar.  If you’re going to be surfacing a lot of boards for a show side, you’ll want a drum sander like the one shown here; it takes the work out of finishing.

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again for the encouraging and kind words.  While we are on the subject of doors, I just built two more plywood doors for my paint booth.  I covered each one with white 26 gauge flat metal along with corner trim.  I’m trying to keep things waterproof inside the paint booth so that I can use it to wash cars and wash the booth itself.  Fit snugly but weatherstripping will still be needed.

If you’ve ever messed with doors much, you will understand there are nearly as many ways to fix a screwup as there are ways to screw it up.  You will also know that perfectly plumb, level or flat doesn’t exist anywhere except in a good dream.  Thank God for shims, hand planes, caulk, and optical illusions!

I got those doors swinging in pretty good shape, now it’s time for a little hardware and weatherstripping.  Oh yes, and more bare plywood that needs something. 

A3E846AA-14C9-4EE8-AF34-E52D554EAC73.jpeg

2578109A-1618-4112-891F-96236DF532A3.jpeg

B7A69D2B-542A-4DD5-BBA4-73C20E6CCF19.jpeg

Edited by JoelsBuicks
To add one more pic. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My friend is selling a drum sander.  I think it's a grizzly.  He wasn't happy with it because of the speed at which it sands.  He really likes production though to keep up with his saw mill.  I was going to buy a drum sander before,  but never ended up doing enough work to justify it.  Maybe someday,  if I get it all figured out.  I still have to put a floor in then electric before I worry about those luxuries. 

I spent all day and part of yesterday grading the fill that came out of my driveway (not nice stuff to try to get a good surface on) so I could plant grass on it,  so I won't have to deal with the mud when it gets wet.  (if the mason had only poured the walls at the height I wanted I wouldn't have had to cut the driveway down 18 inches, subsequently not having a pile of fill to deal with. )

I probably could have put half my windows in, in the amount of time I spent on that,  but I wanted to get it done before the pending rains they are predicting. 

Your project is looking good. 

Added door stop, weatherstrip, glass and hardware and now moving on to another set of stairs.  I won’t miss working on doors. 

The new stairs will allow for frequent, safe and convenient access to what will be storage space above the paint booth.   This space has a 3/4” plywood floor, lots of headroom and is 400 sqft. I thought about framing it in but enough is enough.  I will have shelving up there and a way to organize car parts.  And probably like every one else, a gob of stuff I don’t yet need but might some day ?.

I installed the last six light fixtures in my mechanics room. It’s way too bright but I have 3 switches.  Still gotta do something with that plywood.  It will be paint for sure, once I pick a color.

Sheetrocker was supposed to come look at this today but he didn’t show. There’s always tomorrow. 

E8188B2E-9ECB-470A-9AAE-9D8754A1A849.jpeg

AE379C70-04C7-4434-B2A9-4BDF366B5B55.jpeg

B0C1D5D9-A9C3-47F7-8F9B-CC396DA5BA2F.jpeg

610E3E95-7DD1-4C68-88DE-CED62A8243FB.jpeg

62B846DB-2C3B-46F8-B47D-6A20F0CF88EB.jpeg

Edited by JoelsBuicks
Edit allows me to add more pics (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Tha’s a nice long run on them stairs there! I like that! and the doors look good! 

Jeeze, tha’s a lot of plywood there, I hope you got some kind of deal on it. Why plywood instead of Sheetrock? Where’s the sheet rock you speak of going? You’ve yet to insulate those walls right? 

Whats behind that little piano hinged door?

You are going to beat me to the finish.  I was all excited I got 12 of my windows installed now i see you are way ahead.  Just when I thought I was closing the gap.  

Now i need to figure out how to cut my 6 windows left over down to 12 half windows.  It's going to take some planning as they are brand new Pella $500 windows.  I don't want to screw them up.  

6 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Whats behind that little piano hinged door?

That is the doorway to incompetence and poor planning.  And, I’m surprised it’s not bigger!  I know next to nothing about electronics/communications/phone etc. and so I laid in a big conduit in the ditch with my plumbing and brought it up in the wall.  I didn’t know how all this stuff was going to be wired up so I just left it in the wall and provided access.  Who knows, maybe all this wire stuff is already obsolete. 

D39EAE77-3F72-4A49-A055-A70475DD89FA.jpeg

3BD4874E-F5C5-410B-934A-FB67FDBEC855.jpeg

7 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Now i need to figure out how to cut my 6 windows left over down to 12 half windows

Regarding cutting those windows in half I can offer some very useful advice:  Do not cut them in half diagonally!  Now a rough carpenter might suggest you saw them half in two and break the rest over your knee but I dont think you need a rough carpenter. 

Actually, there’s some tricks out there you should not discount. First, a table extension behind your table saw can save a disaster. Next, you can attach a temporary scab across and over a cut line to keep things intact through the cut.  Then after the cut, just remove the scab.  One last suggestion is to go buy a good blade with at least 24 carbide teeth. I’m talking about one that will cost aroun $30. Also, I’ve made some pretty nice cuts with a good aggressive blade on a jig saw.  Attach a straight edge to guide the saw.

I finished the stairs today.  They have a 7.5” rise and a tread run width of 10.2”. This is about as steep that is allowed by some codes. The picture distorts this in my opinion.  

The wood treads were 2x6s that were flattened, planed, edged, and undercut on the leading edge.  I placed these on 3/4” plywood cleats that were nailed and glued to the stringers.  Treads were toenailed and glued.  I’m stuck on including glue for things like this.

Before I forget, that stringer is a 3” x 9” laminated beam that was used on a two-pole power line to span across the poles and hold two power cables.  I decided to leave it’s own patina.

B318284A-4036-45A7-8593-52CEADA93594.jpeg

3BDAA90D-6004-482C-B5E1-4865527E4D58.jpeg

77B5434C-79BA-4E52-B303-EB93F41769B6.jpeg

06E008F0-7423-4CAC-833F-AAB03B7DF5B4.jpeg

6DA82D56-539C-41EE-AD9B-F242E84C3B76.jpeg

Edited by JoelsBuicks
Add pics (see edit history)
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Where’s the sheet rock you speak of going? You’ve yet to insulate those walls right? 

Posting #227 on this thread pretty much shows the area to be drywalled.  I estimate that it will take only 62 sheets with 40% of them 12 ft long.  The sheetrocker starts on Tuesday morning and will likely finish on Thursday, leaving me with textured walls and a bit of ceiling. I have insulated all of the walls that are part of the climate controlled internal rooms.  I’m looking forward to seeing another big change and the many more things I’ll have to do. 

• Like 1

I did manage to cut one down today.  Of course most of the time was spent figuring as I have 5 more to do and the rest spent finding and deciding which tools would work the best.  Now that I know how they come apart and what I need to do and measurements,  I'm going to tackle the rest assembly line style tomorrow.  

I actually have a Freud blade on my 12 inch slider saw,  I did end up using that on the wood,  then cut the 45 degree corners wit ha fine tooth blade on my sawsall and a guide.  I really wanted to do it by hand with the a hack saw,  but since moving everything in my garage multiple times,  have no Idea where that ended up.   I even gave myself a nice hernia and man handled my Grandfather's Snap on top box,  out of my trailer to get to my chisels and other wood working tools.  Then of course realized I didn't really need the chisel.

I actually took photos today so I'll post them over on my garage build a little later tonight.