JoelsBuicks

Finishing my Buick Shop

I got everything picked up outside and got my plow on the tractor in anticipation of the 4 to 8 inch storm coming tomorrow.  Next week they are calling for a high of 25.  Now it's starting to get ridiculous. Like you mentioned as well,  the days are so short with overnight lows of single digits and daytime highs of not even freezing really makes it tough to get much done especially since the warm part of the day is about 2 to 3 PM. 

That lift is looking good. 

After rebuilding a leaking hydraulic cylinder I finally got this lift in shape.  But, I wasn’t confident enough to try it out on a Buick so the old pickup went up first.  

It all all went well but I was far from comfortable walking under it.  I can easily see that it latches on all four corners - I suppose you just have to learn to trust it.    Like everything else,  this took way too long.

Now it’s on to the paint booth. 

8AEB8D10-F774-4A51-A551-9C01FE02484C.jpeg

66FD8C34-C041-40E7-94EB-47C5B37FB1B7.jpeg

5A6D7C68-71DE-4223-9B50-9208CE68DDC0.jpeg

Oh, almost forgot, when you get a good look at the underside of your pickup, there’s no telling what you’ll see. 😩

66EA7D28-8D33-4068-994C-2454E6C570BB.jpeg

Edited by JoelsBuicks (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The down flow in the paint booth will be accomplished with this 5 HP centrifugal blower turning about 3000 rpm.  The 8” suction line tees into a “drain” line below grade.  I’ve documented this design previously in this thread.

My rough calculations estimate the downward velocity inside the booth will be about 6 inches per second.  However, the velocity at the blower exit will be about 110 mph.  

Lots of work left to do on this but this is a pretty good start. 

01C1C35C-61F6-4194-B714-AB2DB630D04F.jpeg

2BEAF455-627B-47D0-AF37-E7B28ED18A05.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks good.  Doesn't everything always take longer than it should?

Nice spare on the Chevy. ;) 

Amazed how rust free it looks compared to the crap around here with all the salt they use. 

Looks like you'll be done before me.  I could use some help over here when you are done.  My wife will tell you I don't pay real well though. 

• Haha 1

Thanks Randy.  Being done is probably never going to happen for me.  There’s always something else that I will want to do.  Things like adequate shelving, trim, handrails, tool organizers and then repairing things that go bad will ensure I never get done.

But today, the blower is now working!  

6615A2ED-EE6B-4852-94D1-669C21FABBC3.jpeg

Edited by JoelsBuicks (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I've decided for all my light duty shelving,  to buy all rollable shelving.  You can even get the smaller units full of plastic bins for around 150 on Amazon.   I bought larger open ones for everything else.  As long as you aren't storing Cylinder heads and engine blocks on them,  they work great and i won't tell you how nice being mobile is. They are still pretty rugged though and never in the wrong place. 

Sams Club sell these nice chrome plated shelving that will hold heavier things.

I have a few sets of 4 in my garage and they will hold cylinder heads and A/C compressors.

Pretty good deal for under $75 a set.