I know what it is, but what was it used for?

Picked this up not long ago.  It's about 10-11 inches long and about 7+ inches tall.  Obviously, it's a glass jar shaped like an automobile.  Its early and it's French (Deposee is faintly embossed on the rear license tag).  I've had a lot of guesses on the purpose however, and need a few more ideas before deciding what it was actually used for.   Here is what I've heard and think so far -

The opening on top is quite small in diameter.  That makes it too small to reach into to grab something, like candy or tobacco.   It may have had a ground glass lid of some kind as the top surface of the opening is ground very flat and smooth, not frosted like most of the rest of it.   Maybe it had a cork stopper?  The opening on the other hand is too large for it to have been a wine or booze bottle of some kind.  It shows some very faint traces of having had some paint on it at one time.  No idea of that was original or just someones later attempt to decorate it.   It wasn't a bank I'm pretty sure because there is only one way in and one way out for whatever goes into it.  Maybe it was and the lid had a slot on it for the money???   The inside is pretty clean with no indication it was every a container for anything that would have scratched or stained the inside, 

Everyone who has seen it has had some guesses, but for all of them there are more reasons why it isn't as opposed to why it is.

What's your guess and reasoning on it?  Sure would like to know as it just seems inadequate to just call it an automobile glass jar.  I'd love to know more, or if you have one that has whatever goes on top, post a picture so I know when to look for.

Terry 

Glass automobile jar.jpg

It's not a small piece like a typical glass candy container.  I've never had anyone guess "aftershave container" before.  This pre-dates that type of usage. I'd place it at 1910 or earlier. For a container for some kind of liquid I'd suspect a more secure lid arrangement would be necessary.  The problem I've had thinking of it in terms of a candy container of some type is the opening on top is only large enough to get about three fingers held very tightly together into the opening.  Makes it kind of hard to retrieve a piece of candy, and how would you get to them once you've got down below reach?  Perhaps shake them out?   I think too large a piece to handle like that - here are a couple of additional pics for a size comparison with a 7 Inch J.C. Taylor ruler and a real glass candy container. 

Glass automobile wiht ruler.jpg

Glass automoble jar with candy container.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, carbking said:

Strictly a guess - brandy decanter, with a glass stopper, not a cork.

Jon.

I agree. Here are some similar examples, but with a molded (not cut) neck....Yours just may be an earlier example.

blue glass car.jpg

green glass car.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I've thought about a liquor decanter, but it's quite large and hard to get a grip on to pour something out of.  Full of hooch it would be a pretty weighty piece.   It was also suggested it might be a tobacco jar, but again, small opening makes it difficult to reach in and take a pinch.  Tobacco jars would have as lid that would have space for a wet sponge to keep tobacco moist.  I have a number of automotive related humidors/tobacco jars like that and this one doesn't really fit in that category.  

I've seen the green and blue bottles before, both as after-shave bottles and booze bottles.  Their shape makes them much easier to grip to pour from.

Terry