55 Chevy Bel Air 2 Dr Hardtop

victorialynn2

Hello again,

I am preparing this for sale and looking for advice, just like the other cars you'all have helped me with. I've been told by people inspecting it that it is rust free, has a straight body and in good shape. The paint needs to be wet sanded and clear coated because it has a lot of overspray. The engine is a 350 4 bolt main. It has a fuel cell currently. There are still parts inside it that I have not gotten out to photograph, and I will upload those pictures once I get them done. I'm looking for anything you call tell me about the parts, value, etc. The body VIN matches the VIN tag. I have learned so much about the other cars I posted and I very much appreciate all the help!

photos: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1j_Rb5rf7tyLTVibVJsdVBud2c

thumb_IMG_4670_1024.jpg

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

Is this purple one the same as the American Graffiti '55 Chevy? It was a sedan also, not a hardtop. Same car was also in the movie Two Lane Blacktop, which I've never seen actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziBlpNVDcxM

http://unofficialamericangraffiti.weebly.com/the-1955-chevy.html

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, padgett said:

What is the model number please? There was both a 210 coupe and a 210 sedan, both with 2 doors. The sedan was lighter. 150 sedan was lightest by 35 lbs. 

Don't have it but this isn't a 2 door coupe. The coupe, aka hardtop, didn't have the post between the door and the back seat windows. Mine has the post so it's a 2 door sedan according to what I've read and been told. I also was told the 150 is the lightest. Of course the guy who told me this has several of his own. Details, details. ;)

45 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

Is this purple one the same as the American Graffiti '55 Chevy? It was a sedan also, not a hardtop. Same car was also in the movie Two Lane Blacktop, which I've never seen actually.

According to your link they were 150's. Mine is a 210. The BelAir was the top version, the 150 the bottom, the 210 in the middle. It would be hard to tell if someone added the extra trim for the other versions though. 

11 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

.....this isn't a 2 door coupe............mine has the post so it's a 2 door sedan according to what I've read and been told. Details, details. ;)

Your terminology regarding 2dr sedan vs. hardtop coupe is correct BUT in the car guy vernacular every other person you talk to will want to say coupe, which has become shorthand to reference a 2dr car as opposed to sedan to denote a 4dr.  The easiest way to communicate is probably to say "post coupe" to try to keep the conversation straight.  Details indeed, they never end, Todd C 

• Like 1

Problem is that as I learned yesterday, in 1955 Chevrolet had in the 210 series both a "2 door sedan" and two different  "2 door coupes" (different model numbers) and the 150 sedan was lightest. An SME might know what the difference was.

Found this.

• Like 1

A lot of two door sedans were called coupes, but I prefer to call a car with one seat a coupe and a car with a rear seat, a two door sedan. The terminologies have been confused in past years. Car companies have changed up the names....

• Like 1

Oh I agree, to me a business coupe has front seat(s) only and a very large trunk. Popular with travelling salesmen (remember them ?).

However I suspect that it is important for Victoria to be able to describe her 55 accurately to a fanatic so the model number is the key to which of three different 210 two doors with fixed roofs that Chevvy offered in 55 she has. or perhaps a SME can identify from the photos, I can't.

• Like 1

I think for this car, quickest way to describe it is "2 door post" - the tri five (55 - 57 Chevy) guys will get that.  It will play to a different market than your other cars, Victoria Lynn. While interesting to know what model it is, I think it is less critical in this case.  To help sell it, I would try to understand what modifications have been done (your mechanic will help you no doubt) and highlight those "new paint, XXX wheels, widened wheel wells, fuel cell, etc. - you want to help the buyer understand what has been done so they can envision the next steps and know a lot is already in place.  

They say projects are harder to sell and that is generally true but this car has some things going for it, it is all one color and together, even if it needs a lot of work still.  Makes getting to the finish line easier for a buyer to see as something they could do.

I sold a Corvette once with a lot of needs, and the advice from older, smarter people at the time was to do things like dress the tires and be sure the worn interior was spotless as I could get it.  Why is this?  Well,  you are selling a dream as much as a car sometimes.  Your buyer is likely wanting to be the Harrison Ford character in the movie clip above - if you can help them envision that, this one should sell pretty quickly.

Find a Tri-five chevy Internet or FB page and advertise it there.

Good luck - your dad had quite an eclectic collection, which I am sure he enjoyed tremendously. 

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, padgett said:

Problem is that....in 1955 Chevrolet had in the 210 series both a "2 door sedan" and two different  "2 door coupes" (different model numbers) and the 150 sedan was lightest.

I agree with Steve Mack that in this case the difference in which model numbers is not all that critical.  The car is a desirable model (55 Chevy) it is modified (less concern with correctness) and the 2dr sedan body shell is physically the same regardless of model number, the model differences were in trim and other features.  Should be no big issue.    

• Like 2

I agree with Steve Mack, for sales purposes, the best way to identify it is "2-door post." That's the accepted terminology used today, mostly by guys who don't want to admit that they own a 2-door sedan, but that's exactly what it is. Adding the "post" will leave no confusion as to what it is, because it means there's a pillar or "post" between the front and rear windows. The factory called it a 2-door sedan, the "post" thing is not an official term of any kind, but it's the commonly used term.

For most guys the hardtop is more valuable, but if you're going to go racing, as someone seems to have planned with this car, then the 2-door sedan is a better choice because it's lighter and stiffer.

150, 210, and Bel Air are simply different trim packages, there were no structural differences between them and the important hardware was the same. The 150 was usually lighter because it was bereft of options and trim, while the Bel Air was often loaded up with goodies and had lots of extra chrome, plus, I presume, some additional sound-deadening materials inside the car. You can turn a 150 into a Bel Air and nobody will know the difference at a glance.

2-door hardtop:

001.JPG

2-door sedan AKA 2-door "post" coupe:

001.JPG

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, victorialynn2 said:

In the engine compartment or interior?

Passenger's side, in the engine compartment, on the cowl, just ahead of the firewall. You can see it in the photo below, the silver square above the battery:

059.JPG

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matt Harwood said:

Passenger's side, in the engine compartment, on the cowl, just ahead of the firewall. You can see it in the photo below, the silver square above the battery:

059.JPG

Perfect. Thanks. Some of his cars were in the engine like the 50, others inside passenger area like the Jeepster. 

24 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Mmmm....they forgot the 4 door hardtop....

55 did not have the 4 door hardtop ...it came out for 56 and newer ...BUT...

..More "confusement" :)  from GM with their model names..... the 4dr pillarless hardtop was "sport sedan"  in sales speak, I believe?

If I were interested in purchasing this car I would like to see good photos of all the parts laid out on the floor in relation to their place to the car.

"Basket cases" most times are missing many parts and it is good to see them all, so as to be able to evaluate the price.

It would be worth the time to take the car out of the garage and lay the parts all out, and clean them with a damp cloth to remove the dust. Also make the package neat without clutter.  It would add hundreds to the offers that you receive.

I recently purchased a car in a dark garage and one of the mouldings that was missing will cost me over $1100.

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)
  • Like 2