Elcar

jeff_a

Glad you directed me to Hemmings, Jeff, as there is another Elcar listed that I did not know of. It appears as 1925 Elcar Model 8-81 5 passenger Deluxe Sedan, and VIN as 1363439415Z, which seems rather off to what I have seen before.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/elcar/unspecified/2434808.html

Beautiful car. I hope if finds a good home... perhaps any one here?

74944662-770-0@2X.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/6/2020 at 1:22 PM, V.Milke said:

Glad you directed me to Hemmings, Jeff, as there is another Elcar listed that I did not know of. It appears as 1925 Elcar Model 8-81 5 passenger Deluxe Sedan, and VIN as 1363439415Z, which seems rather off to what I have seen before.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/elcar/unspecified/2434808.html

Beautiful car. I hope if finds a good home... perhaps any one here?

74944662-770-0@2X.jpg

I would say GREAT CAR - decent looking with great wire wheels, sidemounts, bumpers, and ... - super nice condition too !!!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/30/2017 at 5:47 PM, jeff_a said:

I finally found a photo of my grandfather's Travel Air biplane he traded for the Elcar: (note the engine running)

Capture.JPG

Jeff,

Some things are stranger than true. I just found this 1928 Elcar ad in the December 11, 1927 issue of Bohemia, a well known Cuban magazine. 

It's unusual to see artwork of the steps of the Universidad de La Habana, an immensely popular tourist stop, then and now,

that just happens to be right outside the door of the casa particular where I stay during my frequent trips.

Crazy that a Travel Air monoplane is included in the illustration of a car rarely advertised there - "El Aeroplano de la Tierra" (The Airplane of the Earth).image.png.6c2e950f6395b77ecb5b1b6b3c869f71.png

image.png.a929deef55ed2239bd3aff8c7493b07e.png

image.png.cc97c73060eb6dc40816b2ea4fc647d1.png

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)
  • Like 3

That's fantastic information, TG! If I'm not mistaken, Elcar had a model with a name similar to TravelAir.

My Grandfather Brown had a 1926 Elcar cabriolet, straight eight, from about 1927 to 1990. I am on my way back home from a funeral in Kansas and retraced much of the route he took the whole family on about 1929: Hutchinson, Kansas -> Wolf Creek Pass, CO -> Mesa Verde Nat'l Park, CO -> Hutchinson.  It's about 640 miles one way to Mesa Verde.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
On 9/20/2022 at 10:59 AM, jeff_a said:

That's fantastic information, TG! If I'm not mistaken, Elcar had a model with a name similar to TravelAir.

My Grandfather Brown had a 1926 Elcar cabriolet, straight eight, from about 1927 to 1990. I am on my way back home from a funeral in Kansas and retraced much of the route he took the whole family on about 1929: Hutchinson, Kansas -> Wolf Creek Pass, CO -> Mesa Verde Nat'l Park, CO -> Hutchinson.  It's about 640 miles one way to Mesa Verde.

Where is your family car today??  Why after all those years was it sold?? Can it be bought back?? Please post a picture of it. Mike 

• Like 1

Glenn Brown died, his cars were auctioned by a small-time local firm in 1990 or 1991, the '26 Elcar went for about $5,000. I was there. The car changed hands and wound up at the Elcar Museum in IN. It got a second repaint (to silver & black). Was displayed at a meet at the Gilmore Car Museum 10 years ago

On 12/11/2022 at 4:15 PM, jeff_a said:

Glenn Brown died, his cars were auctioned by a small-time local firm in 1990 or 1991, the '26 Elcar went for about $5,000. I was there. The car changed hands and wound up at the Elcar Museum in IN. It got a second repaint(maroon & silver, I think). Was displayed at a meet at the Gilmore Car Museum about 12 years ago

I'm bemused by my reaction. Rationally, I am glad that this car wound up at the Elcar Museum. Emotionally, I wish it were in the hands of a family that loves it and drives it. Elcars are magnificent.

Edited by pmhowe
Spelling. Autocorrect struck again: "Eclairs"! Really! (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Mike West ...

Thank you for your interest in Elcars. I've enclosed a picture of my Grandfather's 1926 Elcar in the Indiana museum (Turquoise and Blue), plus a 2012 photo of it with the CCCA Museum in the background.

His estate's cars didn't go to the grandkids: everything was sold in 5 auctions, but I could bid on anything with a 50% family discount. I didn't have 1/2 of the sale price at the time, or I would have bid. Some guy bought it, then it went to the county museum, then to the place in IN.

ALL THE SAME CAR:

1926 Elcar Landau Roadster, old pic (2).jpg....About 1930...Kansas...during the 7 decades our family owned it

1926 Elcar 8-81 Landau Roadster, 1, Dave Sanders.JPG...........about 1995...Indiana

1926 Elcar Landau Roadster, 2012, 3.jpg...........2012...Michigan...Gilmore Car Museum event

• Like 3

The first picture was taken my my Grandfather. On the car are my Father, Bernard, my Aunt Geneva; and standing is my Grandmother, Lorena.

Mentioned earlier in this CCCA-Elcar Thread was a trip from Hutchinson, KS to Mesa Verde, CO{675 miles} and back in the Elcar. The kids rode in the rumble seat the whole way, but had a little tent-like thing going back from the cabriolet top to shield them from (most of) the rain and sun. I'm sure it was a bit breezy. Camping out on the odyssey, they used a lean-to tent that came out from the  side of the car just big enough for four to sleep in.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jeff_a said:

The first picture was taken my my Grandfather. On the Car are my Father, Bernard, my Aunt Geneva; and standing is my Grandmother, Lorena.

Mentioned earlier in this CCCA-Elcar Thread was a trip from Hutchinson, KS to Mesa Verde, CO{675 miles} and back in the Elcar. The kids rode in the rumble seat the whole way, but had a little tent-like thing going back from the cabriolet top to shield them from (most of) the rain and sun. I'm sure it was a bit breezy. Camping out on the odyssey, they used a lean-to tent that came out from the  side of the car just big enough for four of them.

Jeff, 

I'm sure many jobbers offered rumble seat canopies similar to this, from the 1930 catalog of the Clifton Manufacturing Co. of Waco, TX.

Yours for the Elcar may have even been homemade.

Like the copy says - Nifty!

TG

Clifton 1930 9X.jpg

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The blue 7 passenger sedan is my car, one of my projects... in much worse condition now that in that very old picture. The touring car next to it I understand was dismantled. I only saw the windshield frame out of that car. I guess the rest ended in the crusher. The pic was taken around 1984.

As for my long wheelbase sedan, it will be restored as a Cantrel Suburban replica body, as there is no possible way to replicate the original body at any reasonable cost. Anyhow, that is the idea... some day....

Victor

Edited by V.Milke (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...