Sign in to follow this  
gregchrysler

1949 chrysler carter bb carb

Sorry to bother everyone again but I don t seem to get enough power from my spitfire engine 251 cc 6 cylinders 116 horse. It starts then when I put it in gear it stalls can's get enough rpms.  Have 6 psi at carb with fuel, 125 psi at spark plug.  Any trick to see if carb is pouring enough gas like adding gas down throttle?

IMG_20161015_115437_849.jpg

Nice car. Will the car rev up when not in gear? Was anything just done to the engine before the problem surfaced? 

Thanks ltc  It revs but not enough  I just want to rule out carb not putting out enough gas  --  any way to do that maybe pour gas down throttle?

IMG_20160602_111639_638 (1).jpg

remember, air fuel and spark. I would rebuild the carb before pouring gas down it. I assume you mean to do that while it is running, and a few fire extinguishers may be needed. spark, the distributor, timing, wires, plugs, all needs to be correct.    skyler

Attach a vacuum gauge and see in it is up to snuff. Could be too much air leaking in to let the carb keep up. Also try manually closing the choke and see if that makes thing better.(words got lost between head and hand)

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)