Sign in to follow this  
petelempert

harmonic balancer rebuild

9 hours ago, RivNut said:

...It's not the length of the extension but where you grasp it. 

Yeah, I've heard that one before...   :o

• Like 1

Especially if your hand is wider than the extension is long. ?

• Like 1

I'm taking stuff off the front of the motor now. Figure I'll try a 1/2 impact driver to get the main bolt off. Went ahead and got a new Tekton 300 lb torque wrench for re-assembly. It's quite an axe. Hoping to get a buddy to hold the flywheel by the teeth, then enlist another to help me wind the new wrench to 220 lbs without adding a pipe. We'll see. PRL

Hope you weigh more than the 220 you're trying to put on the bolt. ?

27 minutes ago, petelempert said:

I'm taking stuff off the front of the motor now. Figure I'll try a 1/2 impact driver to get the main bolt off. Went ahead and got a new Tekton 300 lb torque wrench for re-assembly. It's quite an axe. Hoping to get a buddy to hold the flywheel by the teeth, then enlist another to help me wind the new wrench to 220 lbs without adding a pipe. We'll see. PRL

#1 reason to do things yourself! Buy tools!

I remember back in the 1980's when I think I was the only one in town with a pitman arm puller. But I better stay away from that, political undertones, you know. :)

Bernie

I'm about 185 lbs max, even after Thanksgiving dinner. That's why I plan on having a buddy help me double down on that thing. PRL

Torquing the bolt isn't as hard as it sounds. The big torque wrench has plenty of leverage.  I've never been fond of jamming things  into the flywheel teeth - stuff slips, blood flows.  We made/modified a tool to hold it from the front.  See our earlier post below.  Slick as walrus poop on an iceflow!

Edited by HuntzNSam
clarification (see edit history)

I finally got around to this repair. Got all the front end stuff off the motor and found the balancer to be loose, literally could feel movement by hand. Put my breaker bar on the nut and could turn it with ease. I also invested in a pulley bar as some of you suggested and it is much easier than trying to hold the flywheel to keep the motor from spinning. The balancer was loose enough that I could wiggle it off without using a pulley tool to get it off. I worried that the front of the crank/key might be boogered up from all that play. Fortunately, the crank, key and balancer are in good shape. The bolt has some very slight thread wear/flattening. Luckily, I didn't run the motor with this problem for long. I think the problem was that the balancer was not torqued correctly (220LBS) and simply came loose. I plan on replacing the bolt and washer. I'll also douse the thing in Locktite. Anybody have a recommendation on a bolt/washer vendor? There are a few used options out there as well as Centerville Auto Repair in California. If anybody has a recommendation, let me know. Also, I noticed  some of the earlier Nailheads used a washer and a lock washer on that same bolt, but not in the 60's and on. Any idea what that's about? Thx PRL

I've NEVER seen a lock washer on ANY "Nail" I've taken apart. I'm sure a lock washer would break in this situation from the torque required.

Tom T.

With torque like that a spring / lock washer wont be doing anything. Once you torque the bolt to be under tension the washer is redundant.

I found a replacement bolt at Centerville Auto Repair and Nailhead Buick. The guy I spoke with told me most of the Nailheads he rebuilds (multiple per year) have been previously rebuilt by somebody that didn't know the torque spec for this bolt. The incorrect torque setting obviously does create all sorts of problems if left unattended. In my case, I can only offer a theory: My motor was rebuilt years ago and ran great with no issues. I'd been running with the original inop factory AC compressor. Recently, I added a Vintage Air set up and have been using the AC. My theory is that the bolt wasn't torqued correctly and was sort of loafing along all along, but the recent load of the AC in use, it worked itself loose. Who knows? With a little luck, I'll get mine on right and solve this issue. Regarding the lock washer, I agree that that it's a little weird, but if you troll  HAMB and other online sources, you'll find reference to a lock washer particularly in older Nailheads. I'm not saying its right or as Buick intended, but it's going on out there. Maybe the same wrenches who are under torquing these bolts are also adding lock washers. PRL