Motor Home towing an enclosed trailer

Brad30

• 2 weeks later...

In my racing days, I towed a 28" enclosed with three race cars--- (Yes 3) behind a 454 chevy powered 28' Winnebago. Towed up and down the west coast, Washington to Arizona. Hills could be a problem. But now am towing with my 2005 Dodge Cummins diesel and this thing is 100 times better and great on fuel. I'm thinking about a diesel pusher with a Cummins.

On 11/30/2016 at 8:43 PM, Brad30 said:

Considering towing my 28 foot enclosed car hauler TGVW 12,000. But as I use it more like 9500 to 10000. As for the motor home, what is the desired horsepower necessary in diesel pusher style RV?

Brad

I would think it would be a factor of what the RV is rated at for towing rather than the torque of the current engine.  I am assuming that you have "books" on your unit.

Robert

Check the overall measured length of your enclosed trailer & motorhome for starters to make sure the combined length does not exceed

the maximum length allowed in your state & any other states you plan on driving thru.

Check your maunufacturer rating for the maximum tow capacity of your motorhome.

Check your receiver hitch for the rated tow capacity.

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

Jim you are spot on I forgot his OAL issue.  I am not sure if he is near MD but MD is becoming more OAL RV restrictive and has many DOT guys on the road.  One other item is he would lose his RV exempt status in MD if the tow vehicle or trailer is lettered.  But... If he is CDL licensed he is much better here.  That trailer will require a medical CDL card in MD no matter what his license is.

Robert

Brad,

When we bought our coach a few years ago in Florida, I asked to see the smallest unit that could tow 10K safely.

We wound up with a 2006 Jayco Seneca on a Chevy C5500 with a Duramax.

She pulls a 24' trailer with a '40 Buick series 90 LTD in it over our 11,000'  Colorado mountain passes very well...........

Mike in Colorado

100_2063.jpg

• 3 months later...
Guest RBBJ Motorsports

As stated already, you need to check the rating on your RV and its trailer hitch along with overall length.  With that said, we tow with our Cummins ISM 450 hp diesel pusher.  I wish I had 500 hp and really wish I had a new Newmar with 600 hp!!  

Hills will be the biggest issue...just prepare to put the hazards on and creep - here in AZ we max out at 35 mph on the hills and we aren't fully at the 15k tow rating of the rig and hitch setup.

Ricky

Edited by RBBJ Motorsports (see edit history)

On 4/9/2017 at 2:22 PM, RBBJ Motorsports said:

As stated already, you need to check the rating on your RV and its trailer hitch along with overall length.  With that said, we tow with our Cummins ISM 450 hp diesel pusher.  I wish I had 500 hp and really wish I had a new Newmar with 600 hp!!  

Hills will be the biggest issue...just prepare to put the hazards on and creep - here in AZ we max out at 35 mph on the hills and we aren't fully at the 15k tow rating of the rig and hitch setup.

Ricky

I have heard and observed pushers having your "creep" comment several times before.  I wonder if there is a tow safety recommendation for power to weight ratios.

I have watched the big dually diesel 350 and 3500 tests of Fast Lane Trucking on Ike's Gauntlet and they do much better with more towed weight than our car trailers.  They have much less power unit weight than a big pusher I admit.  Just curious as I have passed many "creepers" with the F350 and my new 3500HD.  oh, not all are pushers. :):) 

Mike I like your rig especially your offset escape door.

Robert

Like Ovalrace25 I towed with a 454 powered Airstream all over the country pulling a 24 ft enclosed trailer and classic Cadillacs .  In 94 I switched to a diesel pusher and I am not sure it towed much better.  It was more comfortable though.  I admit the 454 had a Gale Banks upgrade and a Geat Vender overdrive which made it much easier to stay in the torque range.  I would reduce the size of my trailer to the minimum length needed and install air pressure monitors on the trailer tires.  Also upgrade from the standard 16 inch tires to the commercial 17.5's. Pulling that rig off to the side of the road for a tire change is a nightmare and if the flat is on the drivers side your life is in danger.  By the way I still own a pusher and have not towed with it since I purchased a Dodge 3500 in 96.  Just my TCW

Bob Smits