1946 Lincoln Continetal ignition switch removal.

GasWorksGarage

Is the photo correct one.  The key turns and pulls out and push starter button.  A 42 to 48 Lincoln Continental key switch has 2 bolts in the bottom of dash and 46 still has a lock column cable running up to the steering column.  I am not sure about the standard 46 Lincoln as I have only had Lincoln Continental;s.  Do you have the wheel on the back?

In 1947, it appears that the dash was different between the Continental, shown here:1947_Lincoln_Series76HContinentalCabriolet_Dash.jpg

And the convertible coupe, shown here:

1947-Lincoln-dash1.jpg

Maybe the '46 is different, but it looks like the car in question has the Lincoln-style, rather than the Continental style dash design.  Interesting...

What is the problem with the switch?  Set screw removes the key assembly and two screws remove the electric switch.  The only way I could get the lock assembly off was a cut off tool and did away with the lock cable.   My car was bought with out keys and the dealer cut the cable  in order to turn the steering wheel.  I replaced the column with a 1947 that didn't have the lock.  It looks fine and nobody has ever noticied it.  1942 and 46 were the only postwar cars that I have ever had with the lock column.  Never seen any replacement parts as they are clamped to the column and the key assembly.  You can take the lock out of the column and just leave the hole but make sure you get the block out so it doesn't lock the column while you are driving.