Patina 66 Riveira GS - say Goodby

kreed

Ken, 

So sad to see that, the combination bucket seat with console and fancy shift is awesome. Don't see too many like that, but it would be the one for me. But not in black.

That was is certainly a basket case and would have to be a brave person ( someone like JZRIV who would tackle it as a restoration project.

Rodney

21 hours ago, kreed said:

Just deconstructed a 66 Riviera GS that was a hopeless case but couldn't pass these fender emblems . Chassis and frame  on the way to the crusher. Thought all my  Riviera friends would enjoy .

Ken Reed 

ROA  14549

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi Ken,

Do you happen to have a pic of the Fisher Body plate? Curious when this GS was built...thanks,

Tom Mooney

8 hours ago, kreed said:

Glad folks enjoy the pics -  salvaged quite a bit of her but these two pieces were begging  to be taken off ! Tom  - here is the data  plate  - looks like second week June . 

image.jpeg

Thanks Ken,

I noticed that both "R"`s on the front fenders are "closed" type. Was there any evidence of front end collision repair in the past? Original paint? Thanks,

Tom

3 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Thanks Ken,

I noticed that both "R"`s on the front fenders are "closed" type. Was there any evidence of front end collision repair in the past? Original paint? Thanks,

Tom

Good forensics. Notice the whole front clip is more corroded than the balance of surfaces. But some '66 parts must have overrun into '67?

The climate vent balls are good evidence as the 2 types are shared / mixed on both years. Weird. :huh:

Ken, I hope you got those radio knob (thru-lens) extensions. They are extremely scarce.

Edited by PWB
typo (see edit history)

Appreciate all the comments . Learned a lot taking  this car apart while washing lots of clothes ! The "closed loop" comment by Tom on the R is very interesting . I have looked at several images and they seem to be about equally mixed between the open and closed loop . Darwin Falk's article in ROA website "ID a gran sport" clearly shows the "open loop"  withe closed loop noted in the '67 GS in the same article  . Makes one wonder if they used the closed loop late in the model year when this car was built ( second week June) Checked out Jason's beautifully correct car and his emblems are of the closed loop variety as well. Not sure when his car was built  but undoubtedly late in the year with the MZ factory dual quads. Would be interesting to hear from others who have an earlier built 66 GS to see their emblems . Not really a big deal either way but at least interesting .  The car does not appear to have been wrecked as far as I can tell and the paint looks to be the original white . The car was a total rust bucket - all pans totally rusted through as well as trunk . It sat  in the same spot ( apparently uncovered for most of those years )  on the farm without moving for 33+ years . Truly a shame as it was parked for a broken tie rod with only 68k documented miles . 

PWB - I saved everything on the dash but am blanking on what the radio knob  extensions  ( thru-lens) are - please educate me . Thanks

Ken Reed

ROA 14549

1 hour ago, kreed said:

"...PWB - I saved everything on the dash but am blanking on what the radio knob  extensions  ( thru-lens) are - please educate me . Thanks

Ken Reed

ROA 14549"

They are the metal "cups" painted black that are behind the 4 knob pieces. They act as debri shields between the knobs and highly angled instrument lens.

They also act as a washer. They are almost NEVER salvaged and extremely rare. The radio appears very unfinished without them. Only on '66 and '67.

I've seen high dollar cars missing them. :o Drop from a #2 to a #3. LOL. 

s-l225CONO5BB7.jpg

13 hours ago, kreed said:

Makes one wonder if they used the closed loop late in the model year when this car was built ( second week June) Checked out Jason's beautifully correct car and his emblems are of the closed loop variety as well. Not sure when his car was built  but undoubtedly late in the year with the MZ factory dual quads. Would be interesting to hear from others who have an earlier built 66 GS to see their emblems .

PWB - I saved everything on the dash but am blanking on what the radio knob  extensions  ( thru-lens) are - please educate me . Thanks

Ken Reed

ROA 14549

Ken - my car has an open script on the driver fender and closed on the passenger. That's the way it was and all indications were original so thats how I left it. 03E Fisher build.

12 hours ago, PWB said:

They are the metal "cups" painted black that are behind the 4 knob pieces. They act as debri shields between the knobs and highly angled instrument lens.

They also act as a washer. They are almost NEVER salvaged and extremely rare. The radio appears very unfinished without them. Only on '66 and '67.

I've seen high dollar cars missing them. :o Drop from a #2 to a #3. LOL. 

Paul,

I have never seen these cups on a 67! The design of the intermediate knobs for fader and tone would seem to accomplish the function of a finished look and debris shield. Very Interesting

4 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Paul,

I have never seen these cups on a 67! The design of the intermediate knobs for fader and tone would seem to accomplish the function of a finished look and debris shield. Very Interesting

I call them cups. Don't know the proper nomenclature. Fillers maybe. My last two '67's have them.

They are at least 1.250 inch depth at largest dim.

I guess when a radio is worked on or modified they get forgotten. :wacko:

Radio knob filler cups.JPG

Edited by PWB
typo (see edit history)

My '66 Riv is in winter sleep, but I recall that the scripts were different on that car between the 2 fenders and trunk lid. The '66-7 Rivs have a more slanted dash than the same year B/C cars and so the faceplates and 'cups' are different to deal with that.

6 hours ago, PWB said:

I call them cups. Don't know the proper nomenclature. Fillers maybe. My last two '67's have them.

They are at least 1.250 inch depth at largest dim.

I guess when a radio is worked on or modified they get forgotten. :wacko:

Radio knob filler cups.JPG

Whew OK that's a much better pic. I wondered how I could never have seen them. From the first pic I thought it was something different. Every 67 I owned had them.

4 minutes ago, JZRIV said:

Whew OK that's a much better pic. I wondered how I could never have seen them. From the first pic I thought it was something different. Every 67 I owned had them.

Yeah, its amazing to see high $ cars missing them. Lazy techs thru the ages forgetting them - like me. :wacko:

Sure leaves a big ugly gap without 'em. Rare gems for one in dire need.