oil for 1950 manual transmission and fluid drive?

Guest frcc16

What is the oil of choice out there for the manual transmission and fluid drive of the 1950 Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth family?

Thanks!

Greg

Chrysler specified their own Fluid Drive fluid or plain 10W motor oil. Fluid Drive fluid has not been made in years. Today we use universal tractor fluid, TDH type, ISO22 or ISO32 grade. ISO32 is easier to get and works well. TDH stands for transmission, differential and hydraulic fluid.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

32 minutes ago, frcc16 said:

Thanks!   I did locate a 5 gallon pail of Amsoil synthetic 10W oil for $220 online.   I'll check these out.

Hmm?  As not in to synthetic oils, is $11/qt. a good deal?

-google- does not seem to know about Amsoil 10w?  10w-__ yes, but 10w no?

That was the crazy thing... another forum says 10W for the fluid drive and 90W for the transmission... but the service manual says 10W engine oil for both!  Here's the statement...Standard 3-Speed Transmission - Use SAE 10-W engine oil, summer and winter.

Yea,... the Amsoil link for 10W was hard to find!  I stumbled on it... here is the link.....

But they consider it to be transmission oil.  Isn't the viscosity the same as long as they are both 10W?  Or am I really off????

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmission-fluid/manual/synthetic-powershift-transmission-fluid-sae-10w/

The SDS shows Amsoil "Synthetic Powershift Transmission Fluid SAE 10W" as viscosity 7.1 cSt @ 100°C and 41.9 cSt @ 40°C = ISO 46, equivalent to SAE 20 engine oil. This is also equivalent to 75W or 80W transmission oil. It is interesting they call it 10W when it is a bit more viscous than that. (The 10W range is about 4.2 to 5.8 cSt at 100°C.)

This is the viscosity chart I am using.   https://bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

This chart also shows I was wrong. 10W is a real oil grade. Sorry Rusty.

There certainly is such a thing as 10W motor oil or at least there used to be. The W stands for Winter which may be why it is unknown in New Zealand.

You do not need a 5 gallon pail of 10W oil! Buy a gallon of TDH fluid ISO32 grade for about $10 bucks at Walmart, auto parts store, or farm supply store. The transmission takes 2 3/4 pints when you change it every 10,000 miles and the fluid drive needs to be topped up at the same intervals, not changed. A gallon will last you for many years.

562228.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

There is no such thing as 10W. I think Rusty really means SAE 10 oil.

Do the gearbox and the fluid drive or torque converter or ? use the same oil?

Yes on Chrysler products 1939 - 1953 the Fluid Drive and transmission are separate, but use the same oil. From 1954 and up they used a more conventional Powerflite 2 speed epicyclic gearbox with torque converter, or Torqueflite 3 speed ditto, that were filled with Type A or Dexron transmission fluid in the conventional way.

OK... Spinneyhill...

Looking at the chart that you provided a link for...  I think that it says SAE 10W engine oil is the same viscosity as SAE 75 gear oil...

Am I reading that correctly?   The two oils could be considered interchangeable for use in a standard transmission?

Thanks!!

The viscosity is similar, yes. But other important properties may not be. Engine oil generally has different duty and thus additives to gear oil. Whether they are interchangeable probably depends on the gearbox.

I am only looking at a small subset of oil properties. I am no expert on the gearbox, nor on what the maker suggested should be used. I would do what Rusty says.

Gear oil often (or usually?) has EP additives. There was a period when those additives contained sulphur that attacked alloys containing copper so weren't good in gearboxes with bronze bushes (e.g. in the layshaft) and later, bronze baulking rings. If you want to use an EP oil in these types of gearbox , make sure the Copper Strip Corrosion Test result is "a". If it is not stated (e.g. in the SDS), find another oil.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)