Jack E

1930 model 47, got the frame back from powder coating today. :)

I'm finally getting a start on my father's 1930 model 47. Ive been doing a lot of researching while having the frame, suspension, drivetrain......powdercoated. Now that the frame has been coated I can finally start reassembly, the fun part. IMG_20161125_163536.jpg

Edited by Jack E (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thanks Tom! Yours is looking good too, any luck finding good patterns for the wood? I would be able to take some photos and measurements of mine for you in the spring if you still need them. Unfortunately it's all tucked away in a garage with other cars for the season. 

I could use some measurements and pictures of some pieces when you can get to know them. I would like these for the very rear cossmember, back window and both quarter window areas. Thanks

Nice. Whereabouts are you, to have a Canadian car? I know a lot have made their way south of the border over the years. I do have some data on the production numbers of the McLaughlin-Buick...would need to get to my computer for that. 

• Like 1

I live in New Brunswick, Canada. I would be very interested in checking the numbers out. Any info on that would be great! 

Thanks,

Jack

Jack,

I am surprised you had the leaf springs powder coated.  Did you coat the individual leaves with dry lubricant prior to coating?

The shop that did them have done a few now and they seem to be holding up great on the other vehicles he said. He had them taken apart to coat them individually.

That's cool. I have friends in Moncton and Miramichi. I have some Acadian background in me too. 

If if you send me the VIN, I can confirm a bit...I don't have a lot of details. 

Moncton's about an hour and a half away from where I am, it's a nice area. Have you ever made it to the Atlantic Nationals in Moncton, great outdoor show/weekend.

What type of details are you able to look up/confirm?

Thanks,

Jack

Triller, I've got some pretty cool old booklets, brochures and what not that my father collected. but the more info the better.IMG_20161129_191221.jpgIMG_20161129_191215.jpgIMG_20161129_191007.jpg

In 1930, there were 4603 McLaughlin-Buicks produced (no model breakdown). I thought I had some frame / engine number info but don't seem to. I do have some additional details about the early cars.

In the U.S. Buick production, the Model 47 was about 26% of model year production. If the same ratio applied for Canadian production (not sure how big that assumption is), that would imply about 1,000 of thes specific cars were produced.

Where I grew up in the prairies, with winter cold, once there were closed cars available, the adoption of them with respect to winter was high, so there were fewer convertibles / touring cars as they were less practical much of the year and there wasn't a lot of wealth around (perhaps more applicable to later years when convertibles were priced at a premium over closed cars).