'39 Business Coupe Day 2

JRHaelig

Well Day 2 was fantastic!  

Lots of time with a shop vac to clear out the old tenants.

Met one

Applied liberal doses of soap & water plus a little Bleche White & those 40-year old white walls look pretty good for shop rollers!

Used a garden tractor as a tug and got my wife to steer and baddah-bing the old girl looks great in her new digs!

20161127_122714.jpg

mouse.jpg

20161127_145103.jpg

20161127_161856.jpg

Edited by JRHaelig (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thanks, Dave -

I could see them fine.

Our Ford forum allows you to insert photos in the middle of the post, so I tried that.

I could see them even when returning to the page.

I tried another recommended method here, but the all stacked up at the bottom of the post....is that the only layout possible?

Next reader - please post confirmation that you can see the photos.

Many thanks -

Nice photos, and the Buick is very respectable for its age! What are the little lights outboard of the grille?

After working on a friend's 1939 Special business coupe (he may chime in here shortly), I have learned that the 1939 Buick Specials and Centurys have some drive train and torque tube parts that are unique to that year, so be careful about ordering parts. If I can be of any help, let me know.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

P.S.: Your speedometer will tell you if this is an early 1939 or a late 1939. The early cars have the speedometer numbers in multiples of 15 (0, 15, 30, 45 m.p.h., etc.), while the later ones will have the more usual numbers of 0, 10, 20, 30, 40, etc.

Edited by Pete Phillips
P.S. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

As Pete mentioned above, there are unique parts for the torque tube and also the transmission (first year for column shift).  I suspect the lights on either side of the grill are later addition turn signals, as '39 was the first year for rear turn signals but had nothing in the front. I know many have converted the front optional fender lights into turn signals, which I have contemplated adding, but haven't done yet. 

Thanks for the photos, and look forward to following your progress. Let me know if you need any photos for comparison purposes, I'll be happy to assist.  

John V.

• Like 1

Welcome to the joys of 39s. Gear box and Diff are 1 year only but parts can be found with a little searching. Also interior Maroon colored knobs are 1 year only. Lots of help here from some very knowlegable guys regarding these cars. If you can post photos of your cars data plate and engine numbers then there are folk here who will be able to help with giving some idea of when the car was made. They are easy to restore, each job is only $150.00 but there are a few thousand jobs:). Keep at it though. its worthwhile they are great old cars when finished. Here is a photo of my 40 series sedan finished after many years.

Cheers

Andrew

DSCF6567.jpg

DSCF6568.jpg

• Like 2

By the large wiper transmission and later grille its probably a later production long chassis version.

The front fender side lights were an option. Most '39's do not have them. Fender light lens come up for sale from time to time on ebay. Not cheap. If you want some repro lens for the fender lights Grant M has made some plastic lens. For a driver quality car they are good, but not the 400 point pursuit.  99% of people would never notice the difference.

On November 27, 2016 at 10:04 PM, JRHaelig said:

Our Ford forum allows you to insert photos in the middle of the post, so I tried that.

I tried another recommended method here, but the all stacked up at the bottom of the post....is that the only layout possible?

Many thanks -

JR, you can indeed insert photos anywhere in the text you want. After a or all the pics have uploaded at the bottom, just place your cursor in the body of the post wherever you want the picture and hit the + on the uploaded picture/pictures. If you want them All to appear at the bottom, no need to hit the +, they will all appear when you hit Submit. You can also move them around once inserted by highlighting them and cut and paste or delete the picture in the body, placing the cursor wherever you want the pic and hitting the + on the uploaded pic. 

All this just to say "Whatever Ford can do, Buick can do better? :D

Enjoying the story, thanks for sharing. You may consider starting a thread up in Me and My Buick where more might see it. Up to you :)

• Like 2