Smartin

Looking for a high quality waterproof car cover for the 70 Skylark

O.K. , guys , sorry 'bout that. I have edited and expanded my posting to suggest SHARING with "General". I think there is some way to duplicate threads in another heading , but being a very primitive creature in a number of ways , I am not sure. Seems there was some mix up just a few days ago with two locations for a detergent oil discussion. Yes , it is very sad when someone seriously damages a car by wrapping it improperly. Several months ago there was a rare '37 Cadillac 2 door sedan on C.L.C discussion forums. Tarped outdoors for perhaps just a year or so of its almost 80 years , paint took a beating , and condensation turned interior patina into interior damage. It had been a well preserved original. Good idea to expose a wide audience to the perils lurking from well intended efforts. You absolutely MUST provide a thick enough dry layer to allow the surface to breathe sufficiently , and a 100% TOTALLY impermeable layer against precipitation. I enjoy spending time on the Buick forums since cousins Cadillac/Buick must fascinate owners of each by comparison with the other. Buick owners have the greatest amount of participation representing all years , so it is quite rewarding for me to linger in the Buick universe. I can certainly understand that time being a limited commodity, many people would not have time to spend on other forums. I don't spend much time outside of old cars , and I probably spend more time than I ought to with my face in the screen as it is.  - Carl

• Like 2

Just to chime in on another option not mentioned, ten or twelve years ago I bought a car sized storage tents for a couple of hundred bucks. I set it up on one side of my yard and parked my Riviera away for the winter. We got a blizzard and the snow overloaded the tent. It collapsed on the car without damaging it, but the weather warmed before I could clear things up. Then we got a thaw. The material was waterproof all right and a big sag of water filled tent covered the left front. Then it froze. I had a solid block of ice molded to the front of the car. And that didn't thaw until Spring.

And they say old men are fussy about things and get grumpy. It ain't age. It's experience.

Bernie

• Like 4

I've always bought some really nice ones off eBay. Never had one to fail within the warranty period, which I believe is like 30 days. As mentioned above it's very important to let the car breathe, and these are great at that.

IMG_1990.JPG

• Like 6

Sure the answer is to find good dry indoor storage, but that was not the question or issue.   If you must store a car outside what option do you have?

I have been selling Covercrafts products for 34 years and have talked to lots of people with different problems and different budgets.

If you have a parts car and all you want to do, as cheaply as possible to save the interior,  a waterproof tarp is the cheapest option.

Companies like Covercraft do not sell "waterproof" covers,  the reason is they trap moisture under the cover.  Over the years many new fabrics/materials have been developed that repel water quite nicely (Gortex is one material but I don't know a cover manufacturer that make a cover of that material because of the cost)  The materials are listed as water repellant to different degrees but they all breathe.   At one time Covercraft made a cover that had sealant applied to the seams to reduce water intrusion but that was expensive.   Outdoor car covers should be used for short periods of time as even the "breathable" ones can retain moisture if the outside humidity remains high.

If your town/development will allow,  use a cover method that does not touch the car.   The cheapest approach is to make a PVC frame and put a inexpensive waterproof tarp over the frame.   This protects the vehicle and if there is moisture inside the cover is not touching the car and that eliminates one big issue.  Also, do not make or buy a storage solution that has a flat top....that is just asking for problems, you need one that allows water, snow and ice to run off .   After this cheap approach there are lots of more expensive temporary structures that can be purchased depending on your budget and how nice you want it to look.

So the solution is anywhere from a tarp to building a garage.

• Like 7

One other solution which can have other uses, OR expand some current ones, is to rent a storage space in a gated facioity.  Might cost $100/month or so, for a 1 car space.

NTX5467

The cover arrived today, and is a much better quality material than what I have bought in the past.  Hopefully, it will work for my purposes.  It also fits much better than others I've bought.

• Like 3

Adam , please let us know how your new car cover has worked out so far. There is a new thread on this topic "Outside Car Cover" started under "General Discussion" at the top of forums.  - Carl

Edited by C Carl (see edit history)

So far so good.  I am impressed with its ability to keep the water out, yet still breathe enough to allow the air under the cover circulate.  The water beads up and runs off.

Please share what you decided to go with and approximate cost. I want to do the same thing for my new acquisition.

It would be interesting to get a progress report from Adam at this time. I will ask by way of P.M. for a status update.   - Carl

He Carl, thanks for bringing this back up.  I've been using the cover on the Skylark since it arrived last Summer/Fall.  It fits really well...like it was tailor made for my car.  It's much lighter material than the others I have bought.  It is staying supple and not staining.  It keeps the rain out and breathes well.  I use a bungee cord across the bottom of the car side-to-side to keep it from flapping in the wind. 

Big thumbs up to Barney's recommendation.

I ordered the Premium cover from carcovers.com. Very happy with it. The security cables and brass locks that come with them are not the best quality though. I would recommend buying a heavier duty cable and lock on Amazon.