alsancle

Stearns Knight

Posted (edited)

Got the cut away engine working. It runs on an electric motor, and you can bypass it with the clutch to run it by hand. Even the spark plug light for ignition is working.........very, very cool piece. In the world of cool man cave items, this is the top toy I have ever seen. It came from the 1917 auto show circuit according to the notes included with it from the 1950's. It's almost 6 feet tall, on the original stand, and has not been restored. I could sit and watch it for hours...........

IMG_2374.JPG

IMG_2375.JPG

IMG_2376.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2401.JPG

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Got the cut away engine working. It runs on an electric motor, and you can bypass it with the clutch to run it by hand. Even the spark plug light for ignition is working.........very, very cool piece. In the world of cool man cave items, this is the top toy I have ever seen. It came from the 1917 auto show circuit according to the notes included with it from the 1950's. It's almost 6 feet tall, on the original stand, and has not been restored. I could sit and watch it for hours...........

We have to figure out how to bring it to shows with the car.   Maybe you need to bolt some wheels on that crate you made for it.

Unless you have a trailer like mine.......it isn’t going to fit.

Don't worry, I bet when all said and done you will accumulate another - super rare, but equally a limited number of people involved.

Steve, I sent it several times. It won’t go through. I don’t want to start a YouTube account. 

Posted (edited)

Yeah will have to wait to see it at some point.  AJ could take it to the Belltown stationary engine show in April next year.  Those guys would love something like that more than the actual car.

An aside, but the best local shows were when the backround noise were the usual handfull of hit or miss engines popping away, when loud music took over things began a long steady slide..

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Steve, I made a crate for it, just so it could be brought to shows.........but the thing is rather difficult to move. It's much larger than it looks in the photos, and is very heavy. 

Hence the need for a flunky with a big trailer.   Where could I find one of those...

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, alsancle said:

Hence the need for a flunky with a big trailer.   Where could I find one of those...

I hear they are really, really expensive these days!! 😁

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I hear they are really, really expensive these days!! 😁

Steve,  note that Ed is complaining that it is hard to move.  That is just because he had to hand truck it 300 yards down a dirt road to get it in the trailer.    I can't wait until he has to hand truck it 1/2 a mile from the trailer lot to the show field.

• Haha 1

Just use the appropriate marketing slogan and tell him his joints will improve with mileage...

• Haha 1

On 5/11/2020 at 2:22 AM, edinmass said:

Steve, I sent it several times. It won’t go through. I don’t want to start a YouTube account. 

Pleased to give it a try - I have an account and to some degree use it. 

Appears to be a Stearns Model M or N.  Same platform as the W-K Great 6 

• Like 1

5X7 Glass Negative 1920s Stearns Knight Coupe | #503920352

5x7-glass-negative-1920s-stearns_1_73d314d21f721a4da7ba3b4c74ef7614.jpg

This is part of a collection of negatives by Christopher Helin. He was the photographer and automotive editor of the San Francisco Examiner from 1915 to 1935.

Posted (edited)

n movie land. At the Lasky Studios, Agnes Ayres finds the Stearns Knight a good location to do her business from.In movie land. At the Lasky Studios, Agnes Ayres finds the Stearns ...

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

1928 International Motor Show in Berlin

D94988

The signage might be plausible, maybe if it had been a 1914 show.  Jack Nelson had a 1914 sleeve valve Mercedes knight touring for years,  and I remember seeing it on the occasion of a Victorian  Veteran Car Club Annual November Rally in Melbourne, on one occasion during the 1960s. It was a well conserved original car.   Mostly jack would use a similar size poppet valve Mercedes of about the same size and age.  Both had similar V-front radiators.  Another VCCA member,  Mackenzie Luckie,  bought the sleeve-valve car from Jack, and also used it for car events.  Mac is long gone; and I understand his nephews have his cars and interests.        Jack obviously had a camera with very fine optics.   A few years ago he loaned me a few interesting photos of about 2-3 inch dimensions. My youngest son Stirling scanned and digitized these;  and I returned the originals to Jack with prints about 10 inch size.  Jack had become fairly elderly, and he enjoyed being able to see the fine detail of his own photos from the 1940s.   One is of the Semmering Mercedes at Rob Roy Hill Climb with normal road registration.