Stearns Knight

alsancle

3 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Looks better in LWB form

Yes, looks much better on the longer chassis. Maybe a set of wheel disks would elevate the eyeball. Black walls may help also. Needs to dump the mirrors on the side mounts. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, edinmass said:

Yes, looks much better on the longer chassis. Maybe a set of wheel disks would elevate the eyeball. Black walls may help also. Needs to dump the mirrors on the side mounts. 

Mirrors: Too big to see anything out of - needs all the help it can get in visibility.   Also has a different style mirror on it via auto show pictures (chain versed leather strap, but would block neat tire covers). 

Your mission should you accept it - needs blackwalls (a cool brand of some sort blackwalls) 

On 4/24/2020 at 2:46 PM, edinmass said:

Headlights are too small, and too much junk in the trunk! 😝

Just like your old girlfriend in college, eh, Ed, the one you didn't want to be seen with in your home town?  I'm sure she had other, uh, capabilities....

3 hours ago, Grimy said:

Just like your old girlfriend in college, eh, Ed, the one you didn't want to be seen with in your home town?  I'm sure she had other, uh, capabilities....

Her name was Valerie Dubois............everyone called her by her nickname..........VD.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Her name was Valerie Dubois............everyone called her by her nickname..........VD.

I was thinking of the Keno runner mentioned in the movie Electric Horseman (or something like that), something to do with chrome trailer hitches.

10 hours ago, edinmass said:

It looks like the dowager collection of overpriced iron!

Eddy you nit wit,  you would take any car in that picture!

It seems that all the Sleeve Valve cars were relegated to their own corner of the show.   Is the swept panel car in the very bottom a Minerva also?

Also,  Looking at the town car behind the Brunn Victoria,  it definitely looks like a Stearns Knight.    There were supposed to be 3 coachbuilt Brunn cars,  it would be awesome to find a picture of the third.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

AJ, I have always wanted a sleeve valve car, because we have always had a mosquito problem at my house. Nothing better than to kill mosquitos than a super smoker smoke screen. Interestingly, I have never driven an eight cylinder sleeve valve car. It’s one of the very, very few CCCA approved cars I have never had a chance to play with. It’s on the list with Doble and a few of the other exceptionally rare and almost never seen manufacturers. Some day I would like to take one of the sleeve valve engines apart. Time will tell. I’ll keep my hopes up. Stay safe, Ed.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

image.thumb.png.48724eeb49f1715dde2cc2b31964b922.png1929 New York Auto Show

Here is the original picture http://libwww.freelibrary.org/digital/item/zoom/42781  - if you click on the photo from link it will bring up a "zoom tool" and you can use the + fuction to fully enlarge and then left click on mouse to move around photo to see all the details of the photo - use + & _ to size to your screen and then you can right click to save or copy whatever part of the image you wish (a good toool).

image.thumb.png.66584b66b4a768c094af161099997732.pngthe website it will be

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

IMG_2369.jpg

That’s a very nice trailer, and the driver is rather handsome and very skilled at both hauling and servicing pre war cars. 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, pughs said:

Oh No! Another guy to bid against me for Stearns-Knight Model J parts.

Steve,  the good news is that everything from an H will fit too.   Plus I  know where there is a barn full of parts you can go 50/50 with me on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, edinmass said:

That’s a very nice trailer, and the driver is rather handsome and very skilled at both hauling and servicing pre war cars. 👍

Biggest bumper pull I have ever seen in my life.

3 minutes ago, edinmass said:

From what I’ve heard, driving them also. Hopefully will be evaluating that personally in the upcoming year.😊

• Like 1

Just now, alsancle said:

Biggest bumper pull I have ever seen in my life.

Picking up the car, the seller was flabbergasted how big it is. But.......I had room for the other engine.........maybe I will post a photo tomorrow after we get it out of the trailer. I busted my hump getting it in there by myself.🤐

B0A495CE-BD15-4933-B89D-848E58CB7899.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pughs said:

Oh No! Another guy to bid against me for Stearns-Knight Model J parts.

No worries Steve, he’s so cheap he needs a crowbar to pry his wallet open........last time he did, moths flew out by the handfuls. ⛏

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Nice shot.........neat car. Tomorrow, we drive it like we stole it.............and since I didn’t have to write the check, we shall find out if top speed is as high as reported in the day. I was very surprised how long legged the gearing was, so the 100 mph figure may actually be attainable. Hopefully the tires won’t explode at speed on  Interstate 95. I’ll make the speed run right after sun up, so the road won’t be too warm and melt the tires.🤫

D266509E-F94D-4C3D-8340-4C701D3B0341.png

• Like 1

Ok, took the Stearns Brunn show car for a drive today. Spent some time going over it. Had a few surprises. 

Observation number one: The car has never been hacked.....no tractor mechanic has touched this car. Every nut, bolt, and cotter pin seems original factory installed. It’s basically a 1950 repaint. 

Car starts and runs well. Has an incorrect but well done replacement carb. Runs lean at idle. Otherwise the car is bone stock except for the exhaust, tires, hoses, ect. Found the tool kit, jack, handle, and wheel wrench in the trunk, all original to the car.

I let it idle for half an hour before I took it on it’s first road trip. Interesting, the feel and envelop of the chassis were much different than I predicted. Basically the car has been kept running but not really driven over the last twenty years from what I can determine. Just like AJ, it needs a serious bath and detailing. 

First impressions driving it.........I was stunned how tall the stock gearing is. The ad said the car would do 100 mph.........bullshit is what I was thinking. In reality I’m sure it will do the century mark on the clock.......the car is THAT fast. Yup, while stiff and not dialed in or sorted, this thing will run with our Stutz DV-32 ALL DAY LONG. Very, very surprising. The car shifts exceptionally easy, almost like it has synchros, but the crash box is smooth as silk. I will definitely take a look at what they were using for a box, I have no idea who manufactured it, but it’s top shelf and as good as it gets for 1929. Has a tad of clutch chatter if you slip the clutch.........a big heavy car with lots of cubes and torque...........feels like a Model J with very tall gear when you let the clutch up driving it like a regular street car. You can actually use second gear around town, that is how tall the gearing is. Power feels like a typical late 20’s Packard. I suspect if I spend some time on the car and get a correct carb on it, tune it, and set the timing, I can improve performance substantially. Tires are like AJ...........old, out of shape, hard, and have flat spots. New tires will make a big improvement. Somehow the “experts” over the years dictated air pressure at 32 pounds. Asinine..........it should have 45 front and 40 rear. Steering box is over adjusted and too tight. All the lights work, as do all the gauges. Suspension feels like it could use a going through, but all shocks are working and the springs fell ok considering the age and mileage. Underneath the car is super clean. No rust, no damage, all the original body bolts and shims. They pulled the fenders to paint it, nothing else. It has all original upholstery, and a 1952 replacement top. They did the  top in 52 So it won’t go down. So the top hasn’t been down in 68 years. With AJ’s ok, I will get it down................but it’s a one way adventure, it won’t go back up without a total replacement. Car runs cool.........at 40 mph in second gear at 83 degrees outside, the needle is barely in the normal range. I’m quite sure it will never run hot or overheat. More impressions in a little while. Ed

3936DBAC-B449-4ACA-9F04-AA991637C184.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2020 at 1:54 PM, edinmass said:

Ok, took the Stearns Brunn show car for a drive today. Spent some time going over it. Had a few surprises. 

Observation number one: The car has never been hacked.....no tractor mechanic has touched this car. Every nut, bolt, and cotter pin seems original factory installed. It’s basically a 1950 repaint. 

Car starts and runs well. Has an incorrect but well done replacement carb. Runs lean at idle. Otherwise the car is bone stock except for the exhaust, tires, hoses, ect. Found the tool kit, jack, handle, and wheel wrench in the trunk, all original to the car.

I let it idle for half an hour before I took it on it’s first road trip. Interesting, the feel and envelop of the chassis were much different than I predicted. Basically the car has been kept running but not really driven over the last twenty years from what I can determine. Just like AJ, it needs a serious bath and detailing. 

First impressions driving it.........I was stunned how tall the stock gearing is. The ad said the car would do 100 mph.........bullshit is what I was thinking. In reality I’m sure it will do the century mark on the clock.......the car is THAT fast. Yup, while stiff and not dialed in or sorted, this thing will run with our Stutz DV-32 ALL DAY LONG. Very, very surprising. The car shifts exceptionally easy, almost like it has synchros, but the crash box is smooth as silk. I will definitely take a look at what they were using for a box, I have no idea who manufactured it, but it’s top shelf and as good as it gets for 1929. Has a tad of clutch chatter if you slip the clutch.........a big heavy car with lots of cubes and torque...........feels like a Model J with very tall gear when you let the clutch up driving it like a regular street car. You can actually use second gear around town, that is how tall the gearing is. Power feels like a typical late 20’s Packard. I suspect if I spend some time on the car and get a correct carb on it, tune it, and set the timing, I can improve performance substantially. Tires are like AJ...........old, out of shape, hard, and have flat spots. New tires will make a big improvement. Somehow the “experts” over the years dictated air pressure at 32 pounds. Asinine..........it should have 45 front and 40 rear. Steering box is over adjusted and too tight. All the lights work, as do all the gauges. Suspension feels like it could use a going through, but all shocks are working and the springs fell ok considering the age and mileage. Underneath the car is super clean. No rust, no damage, all the original body bolts and shims. They pulled the fenders to paint it, nothing else. It has all original upholstery, and a 1952 replacement top. They did the  top in 52 So it won’t go down. So the top hasn’t been down in 68 years. With AJ’s ok, I will get it down................but it’s a one way adventure, it won’t go back up without a total replacement. Car runs cool.........at 40 mph in second gear at 83 degrees outside, the needle is barely in the normal range. I’m quite sure it will never run hot or overheat. More impressions in a little while. Ed

3936DBAC-B449-4ACA-9F04-AA991637C184.jpeg

That is an impressive report - who knew. 

I would recommend you address the steering box while .... - a properly done box should be a true asset. 

Sounds like it has a set of higher speed gears in it already that are even more preferable than the extra high speed gear set that came extra with the car ? 

Impressive display - and has a self destruct feature - explosion !

As to top, I bet they never finished the edge under that drip rail, but other than that and if you or AJ get into a bind, we can have a top done in Cincinnati ASAP if needed/wanted.  

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

21 hours ago, edinmass said:

Nice shot.........neat car. Tomorrow, we drive it like we stole it.............and since I didn’t have to write the check, we shall find out if top speed is as high as reported in the day. I was very surprised how long legged the gearing was, so the 100 mph figure may actually be attainable. Hopefully the tires won’t explode at speed on  Interstate 95. I’ll make the speed run right after sun up, so the road won’t be too warm and melt the tires.🤫

D266509E-F94D-4C3D-8340-4C701D3B0341.png

I think I would prefer that ornament on a shelf and the plain one in its place.  Here is the story from the AACA magazine on when it was discovered.

StearnsKnightMascot.jpg

Thanks Eddy!   I'm surprised too.  I wonder what the 4.25 gear set is that comes with is for?  

5 hours ago, alsancle said:

Thanks Eddy!   I'm surprised too.  I wonder what the 4.25 gear set is that comes with is for?  

Hill climb trials..........

• Like 2

Could be a great driver and a deep detail would be fun to follow like Randy's Auburn.  That said, I am not sure AJ is capable of minor improvements.  Time will tell but I suspect it will eventually get the usual treatment..

3 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Could be a great driver and a deep detail would be fun to follow like Randy's Auburn.  That said, I am not sure AJ is capable of minor improvements.  Time will tell but I suspect it will eventually get the usual treatment..

Steve,  my days of pouring unlimited amounts of time and money in to cars is done.   New plan is to peck away and be reasonable.   There are lots of things that can be done on this without being too much of an idiot.   I'm thinking about sending wheels to Dayton next winter to get them put back to the period photo look.    Dark Dark brown, chrome snap rings,  blackwall tires.

• Like 3

Spent the morning servicing my trailer, so no Stearns adventure today. Will post more tomorrow on something special, that I’m sure everyone will enjoy. Stay safe, Ed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got the cut away engine working. It runs on an electric motor, and you can bypass it with the clutch to run it by hand. Even the spark plug light for ignition is working.........very, very cool piece. In the world of cool man cave items, this is the top toy I have ever seen. It came from the 1917 auto show circuit according to the notes included with it from the 1950's. It's almost 6 feet tall, on the original stand, and has not been restored. I could sit and watch it for hours...........

IMG_2374.JPG

IMG_2375.JPG

IMG_2376.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2401.JPG

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Got the cut away engine working. It runs on an electric motor, and you can bypass it with the clutch to run it by hand. Even the spark plug light for ignition is working.........very, very cool piece. In the world of cool man cave items, this is the top toy I have ever seen. It came from the 1917 auto show circuit according to the notes included with it from the 1950's. It's almost 6 feet tall, on the original stand, and has not been restored. I could sit and watch it for hours...........

We have to figure out how to bring it to shows with the car.   Maybe you need to bolt some wheels on that crate you made for it.