1933 Oldsmobile Straight 8 engine help urgently needed!

Guest 29nostchev

Guest 29nostchev

I work in a restoration shop and we currently have an 1933 Oldsmobile Convertible Coupe Straight 8 car we are working on. We got the run around from the engine builder for 10 months and then finally get the engine back and the block is bad due to cracking. So we are in urgent need of either a block or complete engine. Also any information on what all years will fit this car or any other models across the general motors line up we could get an engine from. It is an 1933 Olds straight 8 240.33 cu in. Thank you very much for any information.

8 hours ago, 29nostchev said:

Thank you very much for any information.

LaSalle supposedly switched to "the Olds straight 8" in 1934 as a cost saving over the former V8 type in 33.  I don't know if the block would be the same, but I do know the cylinder head has the LaSalle name casted on top.

Maybe try to find out if they both use the same head gasket? 

I have a clients parts motor for a 34 LaS here.  It is stuck and I know some head bolts are broken.  The owner of the engine cannot ship, but I assume it would be cheap due to condition.  Eastern Connecticut

29N: You should also have some squibs in the Olds forums here just to cover all the bases...

That said a 38 Victor catalog lists the Olds straight 8 for 32-36 as a 3x414, all years listed under one gasket set...

There were several changes per the gasket list thereunder:

head gasket changes---32-34 and 35-36 take different gaskets but Victor only shows one illus (??)

Carb gaskets,  carb heat insulator, oil pump housing, water pump cover, water pump to block and a  couple other gaskets differ in various of the above years, but it's still possible any of these, or even the 37-38 31/4x37/8 might  be drop=in fits for yours. Hopefully some Olds Guru will comment.

The LaSalle was 3x41/4 for 34, going to 3x45/8 for 35-36, also both listed under one set of gaskets,  Head gasket is different, but a considerable number of minor gaskets are same; definitely worth looking at if better match can't be found...

Guest 29nostchev

Thanks everyone so far have tried a few good leads nothing good yet. The damage was brought up but we were insured it could be fixed and got the run around for 10 months and then got an unusable piece of junk back

Guest Grumpy's Auto Shop
14 minutes ago, 29nostchev said:

Thanks everyone so far have tried a few good leads nothing good yet. The damage was brought up but we were insured it could be fixed and got the run around for 10 months and then got an unusable piece of junk back

It's not unusable at all.  You just need to find the right person who is looking for a vintage boat anchor.