Original TC owner - New TC Club member

RTW

I am the original owner of a 1989 TC.

In 2001 I noticed red fluid leaking and since I had a 3rd car I let the TC sit for a while.  The battery went dead, the tires went flat and time passed.  It sat there for 16 years.  This year I decided to get it running.  Two months have passed.  I picked it up from the shop yesterday and it seems to run pretty good.  Still have outstanding issues.

Let me start by saying thanks to a few people who provided help and encouragement.  They probably don't remember me but I appreciate their attitude and kindness.

Thanks to:

1.  Karleen

2.  Rick at RDIPerformance

3.  Andy and Larry at TCParts 

4.  The guys at Tripoint Engineering in Canoga Park, Ca.  - they can fix anything

I am kind of dumb when it comes to cars but the people mentioned above worked with me, were always helpful, went out of their way and never made me feel dumb.

Tripoint replaced the battery but it wouldn't start because the 3rd cylinder was hydrolocked.  They fixed it, decarbonized the engine replaced the fluids, drained the gas, replaced the fuel filter replaced and gaped the plugs... The red fluid that leaked in 2001 was apparently the ABS so I needed to get a rebuilt ABS and had no idea where to go or what to do.  I tried to email Hemi Anderson but I had the wrong email address so I called Rick.  He said he didn't have an ABS and he referred me to Larry and Andy.  They were helpful but also didn't have one.  I told them the hood and trunk struts were broken and they sent some out.  The power steering unit was leaking.  I purchased one from Rick along with the stage II computer and blow off valve.  I haven't installed the performance upgrades yet.  I want to drive it around for a while first.  This car is deceptively quick even without the performance upgrades.  I found an ABS system on-line at a local store.  I drove over there and picked it up.  The guys at Tripoint said it was very difficult to install.  I don't know if someone experienced would have found it easier but they said it was very difficult and since it wasn't pumping fluid to the rear brakes I had to take it back, get it repaired, and they had to install it again.  They installed the power steering unit and they thought it was good to go.  They put new tires on it and took it to get smog tested.  It failed.  They drove it for a week and it failed again.  They mixed in a little hot gas and it passed.  I had the trunk and hood repainted and put on new pinstripes which I purchased from TCParts. 

I drove it home yesterday. 

I like unusual cars.  I have a Mazda rx8 rotary engine, and my wife drives a Cadillac CTS-v.  Even though I enjoying driving the other cars, the TC is special. 

There are some issues:  The air conditioner isn't working.   Air is not blowing from the dash vents.   I haven't taken the top off so I might have problems with that.  I will probably be posting again as more issues arise.  If anyone knows what might be wrong with the air conditioning or knows of any problems I should be looking for please let me know.

Is this a 16V car or an 8V car?

Red fluid, honestly sounds more like automatic transmission fluid. If brake fluid is red, there's something REALLY not right!

As far as replacing the ABS system, it is possible to convert the car over to vacuum assisted brakes using factory parts from a Daytona or LeBaron. Of course you loose the ABS, but you gain not having to deal with it when it break either.

For the A/C vent controls, those are vacuum operated. There is a small plastic line that comes through the firewall underneath the 2 heater core hoses. If that is not connected/cracked/broken (very common) the condition you have will occur. Be sure to look under the dash, too. You will have to remove the under-dash footwell cover to do that.

ABS was bad.   The mechanics that replaced the ABS thought about converting it but they were afraid of the liability if the care were ever in an accident.  It's a 16 valve.  It needs struts and shocks.  That's that happens when a car is left in the garage for 16 years.  Thanks for the advice on the hoses.  I'll have the mechanics look at it next week.  Other things are starting to show up.  The speedometer and odometer don't seem to work.  I am sure it worked 16 years ago when I last drove it.  I had the engine replaced with a factory engine from Italy.  I think it only has about 7K miles on it.  I am trying to get the service records but it is difficult so far.

The speedometer/odometer issue could be a number of things. If the sensor is bad/not plugged in/wire issue to the computer, there will be a code set for that. Also, cruise control will not work.

It's not uncommon for the solder joints on the electronic board on the back of the gauge cluster to crack and cause a no-contact situation that can make it look like the actual gauge is bad, but isn't. That problem is easily fixed with a soldering iron. It's not too common for the speedometers to fully crap out, however it is common for the odometer to stop working. That is caused by the small plastic gears inside that drive the tumblers breaking apart over time. New gears are available online. It takes being careful and patience to replace them.

As for struts and shocks, the #1 piece of advice I can give you is whatever you do, stay away from Monroe Sensa-Trac...they just aren't valved correctly and provide a rough, but wallowy ride and they are kind of expensive.

KYB products seem to be a good replacement that work well from my own and others' experience.

I hope that helps some.

RTW at some point when you trust the TC enough for a 100 mile drive, you might consider diving it down to the TurboMopar/TurboDodge evey first Thursday of the month meeting at Applebees in LaHabra, 1238 W Imperial Highway. 830pm to around 1130.  We have been meeting there on the first Thursday of every month for over 20 years. A few of the attendees have TC's so they are well known to us.  I'd be glad to look over (and under ;-)  ) your TC to see if I can find any potential issues.  I'm not a mechanic by trade but do know TC's pretty well.  BTW we will be there tomorrow night, December 1st.  Likely a smallish turnout tho, traditionally when the first Thursday falls on the 1st, folks tend to forget it's meeting night. If it's clear out, I'll be in my white 16V  TC. 

AJ

Edited by TwinCamFan (see edit history)

Reaper - The cruise control worked so I guess it's something more serious than a sensor or wire issue.  I'll have it checked out but it is not the first thing on my list.  The transmission is clicky when I shift gears   It is sometimes difficult to find gears.  I need to have that checked out first.  Still need to look into any other mechanical issues.  The air conditioner/hose/HVAC line needs to be fixed.   I have some very good mechanics that I trust.  They are so busy that they don't have much time to spend on this car.  Also some cosmetic stuff that needs to be done.  I haven't removed the top yet and I am a bit afraid to find out what's under there.  Some of the speakers seem to be bad.  I would really like to preserve the original radio and speakers.  Lots of stuff to do.  Need to do a little at a time.