48NWYKR

1948 New Yorker 2 year road trip

One other thing to consider might be adding a Tx cooler up front.

They are relatively cheap and easy to hook up.

Oh, and a pancake fan on a toggle switch.

Just thinking how much work that flathead will have to do on the hills, once you get her all loaded up.

Mike in Colorado

• Like 1

As always, Mike makes another good point. I have put vehicles in extreme duty in the tropics over many years. One, a Cadillac 500, used two auxiliary trans coolers, and an engine oil cooler. In addition to high ambient temperature, also consider the very high Sun angle cooking the pavement all day. This re-radiates a very significant amount of heat back into the engine, transmission, and differential. Consider higher viscosity synthetic lubricants, You can get specific valuable information and recommendations from Amsoil, or Mobil 1. Being a pilot, you know how to apply methodical precision, and fly by the book.

Overloaded, pulling grades, you MUST drive it like you would a heavily loaded truck. Slow WAY down, gear down, and take your time while enjoying the scenery at a leisurely pace. Tires inflated at max load cold pressure for highway speeds. Aired down for rough or unpaved roads, with commensurate reduced speed. Two spares each for car and trailer. 

I don't know if I have already nagged you about driving at night down South ? Well,................  DON'T DO IT !!!!!!

I hope you, and particularly your children, have taken the opportunity during the postponement to further hone your Spanish speaking skills. I started learning on my first Mexican road trip adventure with my parents at the age of 10 in 1954. I believe Spanish fluency has turned out to be the most rewarding learned skill in my life.

Suerte,      -    El Cadillaquero 

• Like 1

All good points guys thanx!

I am already running Amsoil Z-Rod high mileage for older cars, I have 4 new tires on the car and I will have 2 spares, Same for the trailer 4 & 2. The plan is to only do 2 to 3 hours driving a day, no need for 8 hours in the saddle, next town or stop is good enough.

No night time driving...ever.... (emergencies not withstanding).

I looked at oil coolers for the tranny and engine, the engine I can do easily but I already have an aux filter that does some cooling, so I'm on the fence about that one.

As for the tranny, I had a look but I did not see anywhere that I could easily hook up a pressure and return line.... unless you boys know something I dont? It is 70 years old.... not sure it was made to accommodate an external cooler?

Pancake fan on a switch... I have two electric fans already, I still need to do some road testing to make sure the cooling works at speed, if you look at the previous posts you will know what I have been through already..... Its still very cold here and not the same as a hot day in Mexico... So far in the garage is good and I think driving will be ok, sitting in traffic not moving on a hot day might not. The alternator already has an underdrive pulley on to make it spin faster but at idle when the fans kick on it does not supply enough current and the amp gauge drops to the negative side, discharging the battery. This is ok here at current temps when the cooling happens relatively easily and quickly, my fear is that the battery would drain if the car had to sit in slow traffic on a hot day due to not getting enough juice at idle....That's without running the AC and radio and phone chargers.... this motor was not meant to idle high, giving it more gas to get the alternator going while standing still makes the motor work harder and get hotter... so some testing is in order. I might have to go back and rethink the mechanical fan... I'm just not sure yet.

Online Spanish lessons are happening, sometimes slow but at least its there.

Hey 48N, looks like an "N" number on a rudder.

A couple of pages back someone suggested louvering the hood.

Now that I think about it, a set of progressively larger louvers on each side of the hood would really look sharp.

Certainly there are places in SOCAL that could do it while u wait.

OR you could stop a "Bob's Automobilia" in Ataskadero, Ca. and pick up a set of '55 Buick port holes.

4 would just fit in front of the chrome side molding. Then you would be a "Windsor Roadmaster".

Plus it would let some heat out and not be just a fashion statement.

Mike in frozen Colorado

• Haha 1

The M-5 "Hydraulically Operated" trans needs no cooling... it's what it is and there is no way to plumb it for cooling. It will be fine.

Is the M5 similar to the M6 tranny that I have in my ‘53?

I am not aware of any moving parts in the M6 transmission that would cause any heat. On the M6 there is one mainshaft gear clutch that engages or disengages for 3rd or 4th gear. There are no wet multiple clutch in a tranny that we generally think of today. There is very little movement at all in there once you put it in gear.