1948 New Yorker 2 year road trip

Gentlemen, and Ladies, I don't want to presume that it is only men on this forum. What I can say is that the household is literally abuzz with excitement. Our website will be up just after Christmas as I'm told, as soon as its live I will let you guys know so you can follow along if you choose.

In the meantime, surgery on the trailer has begun. New beefier axles were installed with hydraulic drum brakes. Now all I need to do is cut off the old hitch and weld on the new Surge Brake coupler. Piece of cake right??? what could go wrong!? time will tell I guess.

Nothing like a deadline to make things happen eh?

20191217_163820.jpg

20191217_163825.jpg

Holy smokes guys, as you know we need to be out the house pretty quick here.... and it feels like we are bleeding money from every possible side. I wish I could say I feel like a rockstar just throwing money around but I cringe inside every time I swipe that plastic. Sadly if we want to leave it needs to be done. So many last minute things... $100 here $300 there boom the credit card is at 5K FML!

Not without results though. The AC unit that I installed almost 18 months ago is finally hooked up and WORKING!!!! I had the last of the hoses made and the system tested and got the old girl back yesterday. It blows hard and it blows cold! The temp gauge when we stuck it right in the evaporator dropped to 29F before it cycled off. It is a small system taking only 18 oz of coolant, also we tested it inside the shop, and its cold up here.... so if it still works at 130F in the hot sun sitting in traffic pulling a trailer in Mexico still remains to be seen. But as always I'm optimistic :)

20191218_100802.jpg

20191218_100809.jpg

20191218_100821.jpg

I am on the edge of my seat after what, two years of preparations? Godspeed my friend. Godspeed to you and your family. We'll certainly be following along from the interior of BC Canada.  We'll be here watching and supporting if needed.

• Like 1

Those following along will recall I run two separate, insulated electrical systems on the car. One to keep the car and old Fluid Drive solenoids working and one to run the new electrical gadgets like the AC and radio. It really works great but because my 12v is shut down by a single main switch I keep losing the radio presets every time I turn it off, minor inconvenience but trust me leaving it on is not an option.... So, my Redneck MacGyver  senses started tingling when I walked into the shop doing my travel trailer axles. The solution was right in-front of me.... the small 12v battery and charger setup they use to run the electric brakes on trailers in case they come unhitched. It is small, comes in a plastic box to protect it and has a small stepdown 2A charger that stops it from over charging.... what more do you need? I will post pictures tomorrow. I got right in there and ran another line from the radio's yellow battery lead to the small battery and kept the other red acc lead tied to my 12v  switched circuit. Then I wired in the charger and battery to my 12v system so that the battery can charge when the car is running and my 12v circuit is active. Just like it is in a normal new automobile. 

8 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

I am on the edge of my seat after what, two years of preparations? Godspeed my friend. Godspeed to you and your family. We'll certainly be following along from the interior of BC Canada.  We'll be here watching and supporting if needed.

We also got asked nicely to be back by July 2022 as the Canadian Coasters want us to join their trip across Canada from St John's to Victoria! I think one of your club members has done that? Buck I think his name was? blue car... remember seeing him and his poster on the grass in Kamloops?

We will probably be the only car to drive from Vancouver to Panama and back up to St John's just to drive back to Victoria....(well not yet but we hope to be!!)

Edited by 48NWYKR (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello again to all, So this is the website we have set up for folks to follow along. As things evolved we decided that we were going to get a few looks and stares so we might as well use our notoriety and put it to good use. Cancer has affected a few people in my immediate family and through my other business we have been working with the BC Cancer foundation for over 10 years now. So we using this trip to raise awareness and hopefully some money for the BC Children's Hospital.

The site is our blog called Lucy for Cancer. (Lucy is the car's name for those who dont remembrer) We will post updates often on where we are and how the car is doing. Feel free to follow along. we are in the middle of changing hosting sites for the Blog but hopefully the transition goes smoothly and without glitches.

I'm sure I will be back here asking advice when (not "if") we brake down on the side of the road...in the dark...during a hailstorm...middle of nowhere...no cell signal...creepy rundown farmhouse in the distance..... sounds like the start of a really bad movie :)

https://www.lucyforcancer.com/

On 12/30/2019 at 6:58 AM, 48NWYKR said:

Hello again to all, So this is the website we have set up for folks to follow along. As things evolved we decided that we were going to get a few looks and stares so we might as well use our notoriety and put it to good use. Cancer has affected a few people in my immediate family and through my other business we have been working with the BC Cancer foundation for over 10 years now. So we using this trip to raise awareness and hopefully some money for the BC Children's Hospital.

The site is our blog called Lucy for Cancer. (Lucy is the car's name for those who dont remembrer) We will post updates often on where we are and how the car is doing. Feel free to follow along. we are in the middle of changing hosting sites for the Blog but hopefully the transition goes smoothly and without glitches.

I'm sure I will be back here asking advice when (not "if") we brake down on the side of the road...in the dark...during a hailstorm...middle of nowhere...no cell signal...creepy rundown farmhouse in the distance..... sounds like the start of a really bad movie :)

https://www.lucyforcancer.com/

...........  brake down.............. in the dark.........  ?????????   The DARK ?????????    DARK ??????????? 

Please  ----------- DO-------NOT--------DRIVE-------AT-------NIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Plan on reaching your destination by around 3:00 in the afternoon. If you can't get there by dark, stay at some intermediate point. I have spent quite a few years of my life living and driving in Latin America. Scores of thousands of miles behind the wheel there. Some of my driving included moving about with U.S. and British Embassy personnel aboard. Part of embassy "drivers training" included admonishment against night driving, (oh : and what to do when - not "if" - you kill someone if you insist on driving at night). In YOUR situation, YOU are quite simply NOT equipped to deal with that possibility WHATSOEVER. And since you would not be able to put embassy's "what to do when"  lesson to use, there is no reason to repeat it on forum. No fun in any case.  DO NOT DRIVE AT NIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!

Road Hazzard s abound in both high visibility situations and low.    DO NOT DRIVE AT NIGHT  !!!!!!!!!!!!

O.K. Admittedly situations may arise in which there is a perceived need to drive at night. I hope you don't fall for it. But it is a good idea to have intense illumination capability. The best quality Off-road flamethrowers should be mounted as high as possible, (on the rack ?), and the mounting bolt threads disabled by welding. And just how theft resistant is all the external cargo/etc. ? Make it difficult to snatch and dash. You will be traveling to and through some extremely desperate regions.  DO NOT DRIVE AT NIGHT  !!!!!!!!!

Seek advice from those in the know regarding the possibility of, and means to deal with robbery, armed or otherwise. You tell 'em that the notorious Cadillac Carl gave you some advice you need to second, (or third), source. You tell 'em CC advised you to do what they tell you. Relax, look down, don't talk among yourselves, and invite them to take everything they would like. Give it up with grace and sympathetic understanding. All you need is your lives. No resistance. I have walked in some of the most dangerous places in Mexico City. Technique is to wear ragged humble clothes, and especially beat up unattractive shoes, take a sufficient amount of money which might make someone very happy to have met you. Now if modesty is a part of your genetic makeup, I advise carrying a newspaper, I recommend Excelsior, and a roll of scotch tape. That way if they do take the shabby clothes off your back and backside, you can tape up a makeshift kilt. Mmmmmm mmmmmm......... and DON'T DRIVE AT NIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!

The whole point of my drawing from an unusually huge amount of living and driving in Latin America, (including night driving when absolutely necessary - not without some very serious consequences, by the way), is to help you and your family to avoid getting into the start of a really bad movie. That could turn into a REAL bad nightmare with eyes wide open in less time than a blink of just on of them.  I'll be watching you. My Latin American experiences are the most valuable adventures of my life. Come home safely !     -   Carl 

Edited by C Carl
Spellimg (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Cadillac Carl, I really appreciate your comments on driving at night, I fully agree with you. And everything you said should be taken seriously, its no joke out there!! I was however being totally facetious, please don't take that comment seriously, I am absolutely NOT planning on driving at night. I am actually trying to plan it so I don't do more than about 3 hours driving a day anyway! One town to the next, and PLENTY of time in the USA to get use to this entire idea.... 

So we are officially out of the house and living in our trailer at a local park near the border. Taking a bit of time to get use to the idea of cramming all 4 of us into such a small space. And just finishing a few last things on the list. Waiting for a few things from Amazon to show up before we leave etc. Internet is not nearly as good as at home so we are adjusting to all using the laptop... gotta schedule times here :) Updates on the blog-site will be coming soon.

• Like 1

Look what I found when crawling around under the car.. so i guess when you put new heavy duty leafsprings and airbags in, and then add the weight of a trailer plus all the stuff for the trip.... you might want to upgrade from the rubber shackle bushings to heavy duty polyurethane ones... the rubber just can't take the be punch. 

Hopefully the ones the local parts store are getting for me will fit without much modification.

Good thing I noticed now and not a 1000 miles down the road..

20200112_134141.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Still trying to figure out how to get good wifi south of the Canadian border.... might have to just suck it up and go to Verizon and get a data plan......

BUT what I can say so far is that this should not be tried by any sane person under any circumstances.... ever!!!  We hold up traffic on long steep hills, we take up more space on small two lane roads than should probably be legally allowed, and it feels like we are single-handedly keeping big oil in business..... and we are having a BLAST!!!  As long as you are not in a big hurry and you can deal with the 99% of people on the road who are always in a BIG hurry.... this is the life!!  Bridges/ferrys/small out of the way towns.... we are doing it all!

20200124_105648_resized.jpg

20200123_163555_resized.jpg

20200122_155811_resized.jpg

• Like 2

Seems like about the same fuel mileage that I got with my old Chevrolet one ton with the 454.

That is why they came with two gas tanks. I put lots of miles on that one.

Pay to play I guess.

Have fun !!

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 mpg is not bad considering you’re hauling everything to comfortably sustain a family of four. Including the kitchen the sink!    The old inefficient flathead is holding its own very well so far in my opinion.

The Chrysler engineers never had that trailer in mind when they designed the car in ‘48! Lol.  Walter would be very proud. 

• Like 2

My trailer with all our stuff on a truck scale just north of the border came in at 5524lbs... so right where we wanted to be at no more than 3500lbs ;)  Good Lord Almighty only knows where the other 2000lbs came from.... Lucy (the car) came in at 6300lbs with all four of us inside!... So 8 miles to the gallon with almost 12000lbs on the road is about as good as it going to get I think!!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, keithb7 said:

8 mpg is not bad considering you’re hauling everything to comfortably sustain a family of four. Including the kitchen the sink!    The old inefficient flathead is holding its own very well so far in my opinion.

The Chrysler engineers never had that trailer in mind when they designed the car in ‘48! Lol.  Walter would be very proud. 

As I have said before, if I was smart I would have taken the pickup truck.... but nobody ever accused me of being smart ;)  But we are having a blast! Its all about the journey not the destination.... (says the slowest guy on the road)

IMG-20200127-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20200127-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20200126-WA0018.jpg

Edited by 48NWYKR (see edit history)
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, JACK M said:

If you need a pit stop between Portland and Salem you are welcome to stop by.

Fully equipped shop available.

Plenty of parking.

Thank you :) might just stop by to say hello! We are hoping to hit McMinneville & hwy 18 to Lincon city then down the 101.

58 minutes ago, 48NWYKR said:

Thank you :) might just stop by to say hello! We are hoping to hit McMinneville & hwy 18 to Lincon city then down the 101.

You will be within a mile of my place in Newberg.

I think its about an hour and a half to L.C. from here. Kind of a windy road as you go over the coast range. But you will get plenty of that on 101 as well.

Dave here from Dodge City Vintage in Jamestown CA.. I'm at the Jubitz Truck stop. Stop by and I'll buy dinner.

This 24/7 truck stop offers a store, laundry & courier service, a hair salon, an inn & a restaurant.

Address: 10210 N Vancouver Way, Portland, OR 97217

2020-01-29 17_42_03-Photos.jpg

2020-01-29 17_43_00-jubitz truck stop - Google Search.jpg

2020-01-29 17_43_32-jubitz truck stop - Google Search.jpg

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)
5 minutes ago, countrytravler said:

Dave here from Dodge City. I'm at the Jubitz Truck stop. Stop by and I'll buy dinner.

This 24/7 truck stop offers a store, laundry & courier service, a hair salon, an inn & a restaurant.

Address: 10210 N Vancouver Way, Portland, OR 97217

Hey Dave, Thank You!! We are actually at a friends house in Vancouver WA, just got here a few hours ago. Going to be back on the road in a few days though. Where are you heading?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, 48NWYKR said:

Hey Dave, Thank You!! We are actually at a friends house in Vancouver WA, just got here a few hours ago. Going to be back on the road in a few days though. Where are you heading?

To Seattle and the NAVY Sub base in Poulsbo WA. Bring your friend. Your about 20 mile from me. What rout are you taking south?

16 hours ago, 48NWYKR said:

Astoria is an interesting place. Found the original clown car from the 50's, its also a 48 but the Windsor. Now drives backwards on a 2005 ford van cassis.

IMG-20200128-WA0027.jpg

IMG-20200128-WA0031.jpg

IMG-20200128-WA0033.jpg

IMG-20200128-WA0032.jpg

IMG-20200128-WA0026.jpg

And it drives,

I attend a car gathering every September in Seaside an that car was there a couple of years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Feel better about my 8 miles to the gal with dam near 12000lbs total going down the highway... had a good chat with a guy in his brand new super duper motorhome - the $250000 kind... he says he gets "almost 6" miles to the gallon!!!

IMG-20200209-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20200208-WA0013.jpg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, 48NWYKR said:

Feel better about my 8 miles to the gal with dam near 12000lbs total going down the highway... had a good chat with a guy in his brand new super duper motorhome - the $250000 kind... he says he gets "almost 6" miles to the gallon!!

Good news. Modern $250,000 motorhome at 6 mpg. You only spent $200,000 preparing your '48 NY'r!...Just kidding! Laugh...

The thing is, he only has a modern P.O.S. You have post war era steel and Mopar class!

• 1 month later...